Don Mueang flight carrying Thai singer makes emergency landing after engine explosion

webfact

from the article:

The captain explained that there were two possible causes. He was unsure whether a bird had flown into the engine as they had flown through a flock of birds on the right side. However, the incident occurred at around 6,000 feet, while the bird had passed at around 4,000 to 5,000 feet two to three days earlier.

The bird was large, but there was a delay before the incident happened. Once the engine failure was recognised, it had to be shut down, and there were indeed sparks at that time, reported KhaoSod.

Two possible causes, of which the captain explained one: a bird flew into the engine two to three days earlier

Now I'd really like to hear the other explanation, because that's got to be a doozy since Thaiger didn't dare print it.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Not sure if the vomiting and fainting were a result of smoke in the cabin or a result of fear.

Having just looked up who "famed singer Unnop Thongborisut, better known as Por" is on YouTube and listened to some of his stuff, I think the answer speaks for itself.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

from the article:

Two possible causes, of which the captain explained one: a bird flew into the engine two to three days earlier

Now I'd really like to hear the other explanation, because that's got to be a doozy since Thaiger didn't dare print it.

"The captain explained that there were two possible causes. He was unsure whether a bird had flown into the engine as they had flown through a flock of birds on the right side. However, the incident occurred at around 6,000 feet, while the bird had passed at around 4,000 to 5,000 feet two to three days earlier.

The explanation appears to be that the effects of a bird strike a couple of days before were not adequately investigated and dealt with.......thus the engine subsequently failed catastrophically

The juxtaposing of the differing altitudes (at which the strike occurred and which the later catastrophic failure occurred) seems like a feeble and ludicrous attempt to avoid the obvious conclusion that the later failure was a delayed consequence of the earlier (poorly dealt with) bird strike.

Truly astonishing/mind boggling attempt at avoiding responsibility being attributed to the pilot, airline and/or maintenance organisation.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFelix said:

Thai News Today:  An undisclosed plane belonging to an undisclosed airline company has had an undisclosed incident while departing from an undisclosed airport.  The captain, whose name was not revealed refused to disclose any information for fear of defamation suits being aimed at him.

"undisclosed airport"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

"The captain explained that there were two possible causes. He was unsure whether a bird had flown into the engine as they had flown through a flock of birds on the right side. However, the incident occurred at around 6,000 feet, while the bird had passed at around 4,000 to 5,000 feet two to three days earlier.

The explanation appears to be that the effects of a bird strike a couple of days before were not adequately investigated and dealt with.......thus the engine subsequently failed catastrophically

The juxtaposing of the differing altitudes (at which the strike occurred and which the later catastrophic failure occurred) seems like a feeble and ludicrous attempt to avoid the obvious conclusion that the later failure was a delayed consequence of the earlier (poorly dealt with) bird strike.

Truly astonishing/mind boggling attempt at avoiding responsibility being attributed to the pilot, airline and/or maintenance organisation.

I think it's possible that there's a typo. The paragraph you quoted makes far more sense if "days" is replaced by "minutes".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bantex said:

The picture at the top of this post showing the blown engine is actually a picture of an Air France Airbus A380 and they have just cropped photo enough as to not show the Air France logo on the inside engine.E9AB17D5-8493-4625-AEAB-20ABA4D0AE6E.thumb.jpeg.4d4e303869c29e8053b74627076e8f04.jpeg

Your image (above) shows a four engined aircraft whilst, according to the linked report, the subject aircraft had a problem with THE engine meaning it had only one. Further on, it states it was the Right engine meaning the plane was twin engined. 😀

22 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Yet another click bait crock! The lead photo shows a blown up engine with the nacelle blown off and yet it turns out that there were some sparks seen coming out of the engine! The standard of accurate news reporting just keeps sliding further down the sewer every single day!

Sadly, most Thaiger stories are run thru ChatGPT then have dumb clickbait titles added.  Another cause, possibly the one which was omitted, is compressor stall, causes a load bang/backfire and flame before engine shutdown.

In all my life of reading news and mishap reports, I’ve never read one such as this.  It’s always, always always reported or information provided in the news article or repot the airlines name and both the origination and destination.   Go do some journalism in some place that no one knows or expects something informative….maybe the local high school has an opening.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoePai said:

No mention of the airline ?

Looks like Batik Air 

Batik Air Malaysia (formerly known as Malindo Air) is a Malaysian full service carrier,[3][4] an associate carrier of the Indonesian Lion Air Group, with headquarters in Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.[5][6][7][8] The original name, Malindo, signifies a cooperative pact between Malaysia and Indonesia.

History

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

Looks like Batik Air 

I think most are implying that it is Thai Lion Air (SL), DMK-CEI.

I've looked for additional detail on this (Thai aviation sites/FB groups), but couldn't find anything, so far.

Maybe SL538, DMK-CEI yesterday, Friday, 24 Nov? B738/HS-LGJ.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hs-lgj

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hs-lgj#32f2866e

Edited by bamnutsak

3 hours ago, Tom H said:

Famous singer survived. 

What kind of journalism is this?

Any school for journalists in Thailand?

you might have something there!

In my world, anytime a journalist reports events without voicing activism ,

is newsworthy!

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

from the article:

No maintenance done within the 2/3 days since the bird incident?

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

The majority of birdstrikes are at relatively low altitudes but migrating birds can be up around 7000 ft and potentially more dangerous as a flock.

I did almost 6 years on Buccaneeers and being a low level strike a/c birdstrikes were almost a way of life.

Lossiemouth?

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

I think most are implying that it is Thai Lion Air (SL), DMK-CEI.

I've looked for additional detail on this (Thai aviation sites/FB groups), but couldn't find anything, so far.

Maybe SL538, DMK-CEI yesterday, Friday, 24 Nov? B738/HS-LGJ.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hs-lgj

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/hs-lgj#32f2866e

Look at the girls uniform an do a search as I did

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said: