Printers with unofficial bulk tanks

surreybloke

They're great.  Quality printing at a fraction of the cost.  My old minute amount in the HP ink cartridge replacements, cost about the same as a new printer with side mounted ink wells, full up.  Amazed anyone still buys cartridges.

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I had one for several years, a Canon with the bulk tanks hot-glued to the side.

When I went looking for a new printer 3 years ago, I discovered that so many of them now have engineered them to contain the bulk tanks inside. I bought another Canon with /scan/print/copy functions, with the inside bulk tanks. I've added new ink ONCE in almost three years.  I, for one, would never go back to paying for new ink cartridges every other month!

Question as I am considering buying a canon megatank printer, do the print heads dry up or get blocked, if you don't use it for a while?

4 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Question as I am considering buying a canon megatank printer, do the print heads dry up or get blocked, if you don't use it for a while?

That's unavoidable, and simply print something once a week.  Why I no longer have a printer, since daughter done school, I have no printing needs.  Did all the iron on t-shirts, etc years ago, and really have no need for a printer or scanner.

• Like 1

Over the years I've had several inkjet printers both with and without tanks. All have become blocked at some stage requiring messy and wasteful cleaning.

If you don't need colour, a cheap laser printer will print first time, every time! The worst issue we had was a jinjok that wasn't fast enough, he was immortalised on half a dozen sheets.

If you do need colour, then colour lasers are not silly money now. Although they can be more expensive to run than an inkjet the time saved by not messing about persuading it to print is, IMHO, worth it.

Never going back to inkjet!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

For very little extra, you can now buy factory fitted interior ink tanks which are far more reliable!

Laser printers are expensive!

FYI for next time you can delete everything after the

html?

on links - saves a lot of space but goes same place.  Poster told me about it couple years ago.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Yes. But that's easily avoided by printing a test sheet once a week and doing the routine cleaning maintenance. It's not an issue. We probably don't print more than a handful of pages during the year... except at visa extension time, vehicle tax time, and Wing 41 application time. At those times, it's worth its weight in bulk tank ink!

• Thumbs Up 1

The technology has changed a lot. I recently bought an Epson printer and it has cartridges that you can use to refill the tanks, and the ink is relatively inexpensive. It costs me next to nothing to make a color copy, and the quality is quite a bit higher than with the well printers. Generic ink just does not seem to be as good. 

It used to be that the companies would lose money on the sale of the printer, and make it all back on the sale of the ink, but I think those days are long gone. 

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The technology has changed a lot. I recently bought an Epson printer and it has cartridges that you can use to refill the tanks, and the ink is relatively inexpensive. It costs me next to nothing to make a color copy, and the quality is quite a bit higher than with the well printers. Generic ink just does not seem to be as good. 

It used to be that the companies would lose money on the sale of the printer, and make it all back on the sale of the ink, but I think those days are long gone. 

Just make sure you print a page every a few weeks otherwise the inck can dry in the delivery tube and then you have to run a clean cycle, But once  the cleaning cycle did not work . and I had to take it to the shop to have it clean

Not sure if this is still a problem with the newer machines. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSam said:

Don't do it! 

The ones with ink tanks fitted to the side just cause headaches regularly.

For very little extra, you can now buy factory fitted interior ink tanks which are far more reliable!

Laser printers are expensive!

there is a you tube review of the canon bulk tank  printer and referred to the waste part  as a printer potty and complained about resetting it after it got loaded and needed emptying

There was someone in a shop in korat who almost refused to sell the latex pipe printer.   Ironically Cannon have a factory south of korat where they make printers and copiers.      I wonder if the shop owner knows something about printers.   ???

even more bizaare is that I know a lady who works in said factory and cannot buy the factory product          

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes. But that's easily avoided by printing a test sheet once a week and doing the routine cleaning maintenance. It's not an issue. We probably don't print more than a handful of pages during the year... except at visa extension time, vehicle tax time, and Wing 41 application time. At those times, it's worth its weight in bulk tank ink!

That's exactly what I do with my Canon and it's now been running trouble free for almost 4 years, with only the occasional head clean.

I do marriage extensions using the income method, so it gets a real hammering once a year!