Is there any kind of '10 Year Rule' about living with a Thai woman?

siftasam

I have two relationships at home.

One is a wonderful family one with my EX- partner's young daughter. She and her mother have lived in my home for 8 years. I promised that I would support and protect the young girl and it has been a pleasure so to do.

The other relationship, with her mother, my EX-partner, is a very bad one. She and I have not been intimate for 6 years. We are not married and have never been 'engaged'. Of course, I house and support her because of her daughter.

She takes good care of her daughter but otherwise, of course (?), her main consideration is my money.

I do not want her to return to Isaan because she will, naturally, take her daughter with her.

Something that I think I read somewhere.

Is it correct that if a Thai woman leaves you, or you tell her to go, after living with you for 10 years, that she is 'legally' entitled to a share of your wealth?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

4 seconds of googling reveals that common law marriage is not legal in Thailand.

You feel powerless, hence this paralyzing depression. You truly are largely powerless in this situation. Much empathy to you.

Correct i googled it too

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

...the lack of a marriage certificate also means you have no legal rights regarding the child. So if the mother decides to take her, there's nothing you can do about it.

Th way he has phrased his OP suggests that the girl is not his daughter so, obviously, assuming that the current arrangements remain, he will never have any rights over her.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

12 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Do the daughter want to follow her mother, or do she like to stay with you ?? :-)

There come a time they can deside for themself, if they are "strongwilled" enough.

That time is when  they become an adult .

The Mother decides where the Child stays and with whom . 

6 hours ago, daveAustin said:

No, pretty sure that is <deleted> and you are not married in any case. You clearly have a big heart and care for the daughter. Not to chuck my tat onto you, but I would do anything to hang onto someone considered daughter material in such a scenario. Have you considered adoption and bunging the mother for paperwork?  

...bunging...?

• Thanks 1

On 12/1/2023 at 9:30 AM, novacova said:

There is no common law marriage law here 

Heads up for UK members who might concern themselves with such matters:

"Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a ‘common law marriage’. In England and Wales only people who are married, whether of the same sex or not, or those in civil partnerships can rely on the laws about dividing up finances when they divorce or dissolve their marriage."

"If your ex partner owned your home, and there is no other agreement in place, you have no right to stay if they ask you to leave."

https://www.familylives.org.uk/advice/your-family/relationship-advice/common-law-marriage

Friend of mines daughter just found out the hard way upon the death of her "common law" partner, after 11 years together, with him not having made a will.

His family had her out of his flat, that she shared with him, within 48 hours.

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1

Now to start with I am not sure this is correct. I believe there is a 7 year rule regarding children living permanently in your household. I have been living with my mia noi for 18 years while still married to my estranged wife. I have a 16 year old son with my mia noi and her two daughters from a previous marriage who are now adults of course, I have no children with my wife. When my step daughters were still children I used to sign various documents regarding their school, when I mentioned to their teacher, who is a family friend, that as I am not the biological father of the two girls I shouldn't be signing the documents and their mother could do it instead, the teacher said that I have the right to do so as the children had been in my household for longer than 7 years which gave me certain rights over them but also responsibilities. How far these rights extended I never asked.