In what areas around Chiang Mai do cyclists live?

NHBOB

Not a cycling equipment, route or group question per se, but what are some quieter areas where one can go for a ride from their front door?  Or an area that gives easy access to more bicycle friendly routes?  Do you need to have a rack on your vehicle and drive to a good starting point?  That's pretty typical in New England for mountain biking, and on occasion even for a road ride.  I'm guessing even for some gravel routes it may involve a vehicle.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, NHBOB said:

Not a cycling equipment, route or group question per se, but what are some quieter areas where one can go for a ride from their front door?  Or an area that gives easy access to more bicycle friendly routes?  Do you need to have a rack on your vehicle and drive to a good starting point?  That's pretty typical in New England for mountain biking, and on occasion even for a road ride.  I'm guessing even for some gravel routes it may involve a vehicle.

Near Silver Temple

2 hours ago, NHBOB said:

Not a cycling equipment, route or group question per se, but what are some quieter areas where one can go for a ride from their front door? Or an area that gives easy access to more bicycle friendly routes? Do you need to have a rack on your vehicle and drive to a good starting point? That's pretty typical in New England for mountain biking, and on occasion even for a road ride. I'm guessing even for some gravel routes it may involve a vehicle.

Switzerland.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure there is such a thing....

There seems to be a national sport of "buzzing the tower" enjoyed by mc riders when they see a farang bike riding.....

Because of the small amount of space for error I stay on the roads less traveled.....

3 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Get away from the city and the main highways and there are various places to ride - for example, back areas of San Sai and Doi Saket and up towards Mae Kuang Dam are relatively safe for riding. 

Except from that the air polution will kill you if course.

• Sad 3

I am not sure what you mean by "cycling from your front door"... 10km? 100km? There is a stretch of safe bycicle/jogging paths along Canal Road, that starts approximately at the B2B hotel close to the Convention condominium, and extends all the way to the North for about 12 km round trip until the "ranch/shooting range". Make that about 30km to Mae Rim, if you dare to share a couple of km of main congested road with cars. On the way, you pass the 700 y stadium which is in itself a 2km loop that you can repeat as you please -with a few speed bumps unfortunately. Cyclists aplenty, from the totally hopeless like yours truly to the aggressive professionals. Note that it is quite busy in cooler early/late hours. There are in principle separate jogging/cycling lanes, but joggers ((including slow walking) do love the cycling lane too, so you need a bell on your bycicle.

The more seriously inclined cycle up/down the road to Doi Suthep, shared with cars but not too dangerous usually. I know from friends in that category that there are also dirt roads for mountain bikes there.

22 hours ago, lordblackader said:

Get away from the city and the main highways and there are various places to ride - for example, back areas of San Sai and Doi Saket and up towards Mae Kuang Dam are relatively safe for riding. 

That's my area, I can do a 40km loop from my house down 118 and around Mae Kuang dam with back roads home, or turn right at the dam entrance and there are many back roads that are a pleasure to ride on with very few cars. 

• Like 1