How come English speakers are incomprehensible to others?

vangrop

15 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

There's almost as much British bashing as Thai on ASEANNOW  , if you don't understand us

learn to live with it, as i am proud of my accent and would not change it for the World , learn

to be proud of who you are ,

regards Worgeordie

All to your credit, I admire you for that but the subject concerns the difficulty of understanding when conversing with an English speaker

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, bignok said:

Aussies no accent. You should all copy Aussies.

Couple years ago a bogan aussie sat next to me in a bar, difficult to understand what he was banging on about, showed me how to cut someones throat, i made my excuses and left ASAP, be careful of aussies.

Some Brits do have very strong accents, not easy to understand

Edited by scubascuba3

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Couple years ago a bogan aussie sat next to me in a bar, difficult to understand what he was banging on about, showed me how to cut someones throat, i made my excuses and left ASAP, be careful of aussies.

Some Brits do have very strong accents, not easy to understand

Pattaya must get the worst ones. I've never met one like that.

• Sad 1

Few non-natives speak English with a native-like English/US/AUS accent or understand English well when spoken with a native accent. The  English they speak and understand best will be equally broken English, non idiomatic, with the phonetics all wrong, an impoverished meta-language that doesn't exist as a real language. When they watch a movie in original English they will usually not be able to watch without sub-titles.  Note that those fools will be proud of their "English". They will flout it at every occasion in order to show that they "can speak English", like a poorly-endowed exhibitionist flouting his small pecker.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pub2022 said:

How come english native speakers do not know how to properly use it's/its and there/their?

This is to do with writing English, not speaking it. A whole different ball game.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you referring to all English speakers, or just British? Some Brits have very strong accents. Most say Americans are fairly easy to understand. The accent, if they have one, is fairly flat.

Except that they have trouble understanding Australian.

• Agree 1

Im norwegian living in thailand.

Used to speak english with foreign customers in norway, british, american, whatsoever.

I have a great british friend here in thailand, and i enjoy our conversations.

However he comes from north london and speak dialect. Definately not easy to under understand, but always get the meaning :-)

Guess we norwegians, meeting a foreigner try speak norwegian would have tried speak to him in "standard norwegian". But can understand easy to forget.

And also-we can ask polite:"can you please try speak without your dialect, so more easy for me to understand :-)

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

They do generally know that , its just arduous making an apostrophe and so don't bother and sometimes there and their are used in the wrong place , just a mistake 

You forget one more. They're often wrong and don't know the difference. Cue many confused emojis from those that don't know :smile: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

The nuances of the English language are lost on those taught English as a 2nd language

Add in local dialects, sarcasm, irony, sense of humour and those nuances get even worse.

As some Trekkie said.

" It's English Jim, but not as we know it "

Exactly...  and thats the same of many languages.

Thailand also has many accents and dialects filled with similar degrees of nuance. 

There are those who don't make an effort to make themselves understood. 

There is also the other 'Hollywood facet' to this...   whereby many people are far more familiar with north american accents due to their familiarisation with american pop culture, movies and TV shows. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some people just don't make an effort to make themselves clearly understood.... 

Proud of being a kind person indeed...   :whistling:

image.png.acbead91ff11d05c461c76bcb9e1c609.png

Hi Ritchie. I hope you find some fun and happiness one day.

Good luck.

Wow, I did 3 years of high school French but when I went to France no-one could understand me. All these years I thought my French was crap but I now realise from the OP that it was their fault they didn't understand me 😉 

Also, what's this got to do with Pattaya, all forms of English seem widely understood here

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Olav Seglem said:

Im norwegian living in thailand.

Used to speak english with foreign customers in norway, british, american, whatsoever.

I have a great british friend here in thailand, and i enjoy our conversations.

However he comes from north london and speak dialect. Definately not easy to under understand, but always get the meaning :-)

Guess we norwegians, meeting a foreigner try speak norwegian would have tried speak to him in "standard norwegian". But can understand easy to forget.

And also-we can ask polite:"can you please try speak without your dialect, so more easy for me to understand :-)

Some accents from Northeast English are based on Norwegian accents.

• Like 1