TM30 required when returning to the previously reported address?

I have lived at my current address for almost 20 years. The TM30 notification was made by my landlord at the time. But I have no record of it.
There have been no problems with it so far. I regularly submit my 90-day report, always with this address.
If I now go abroad and come back to the same address after 4 weeks, do I need to submit a new TM30 notification?

Edited by thpitsch

21 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

If I now go abroad and come back to the same address after 4 weeks, do I need to submit a new TM30 notification?

Will you return and enter reentry permit? 

If so TM30 not required.

Which immigration office? 

22 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

Yes, reentry permit, Pattaya

Jomtien immigration - congrats. You have to report your address via a TM30 each and every time you come back to Thailand, even if you are staying in the same place as before. All has to be done 72 hours within your entry, or get a nice 1,600 baht fine. If you don't need to do anything at immigration then you don't need to worry about a TM30. If you do, then welcome to the fun of TM30 each entry into Thailand.

You've gotta love Jomtien immigration, you can only do extensions one business day prior to stamp expiry too. I've wasted two trips there already and will have to make a 3rd trip one business day before stamp expiry.

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

It's law that the foreigner must do a new TM30 when returning from outside the country, even to the same registered address, but a few years ago a group of foreigners held meetings with Thai immigration and got them to relax the TM30 regulations if returning to the same address. The Thais went along with it and relaxed the law but now it's creeping back in. There are reports that many immigration offices around the country insist on the updated TM30. What may well come back is the one where you have 24 hours to update your TM30 even if you go to Bangkok for a night and stay in a hotel, then return home, or go to Koh Samet for a couple of nights. That regulation may well return too.

• Like 1

Hat Yai (Songkhla) even if you only leave the province you need to do a new TM30 on return. I was up in Bangkok last weekend, nearly forgot my TM30, wife went in today, officer threatened to charge the wife Bht1,600 because she was late, wife pleaded father's day holiday so was let off.

When you complete a TM30 you have to enter an "Expiry date of stay" on 2nd page. If I have a 12 month extension I would state the date that my current permission of stay expires. This means I'm free to leave Thailand and return without a new TM30 as long it's the same visa and within same permission of stay period I wrote on my approved TM30.

You are also supposed to freely travel within Thailand without re-doing TM30 but that seems to differ greatly between immigration offices.

Screenshot_20231208-154601_Drive.jpg

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

That's because you are leaving and re-entering Thailand on a new visa every time (tourist visa or visa exempt entry). If you leave and return on same visa with a re-entry permit you don't need a new TM30

I'm re-entering on the same METV (not a new visa) but Jomtien Immigration have been clear that each & every time I enter on the same visa & stay at the exact same address, I must report a TM30.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

That wasn't my experience when I returned from a 6-week trip to the UK back in October. I needed a residence certificate to buy a new car, which needed a valid TM30, and the old TM30 slip in my passport from a year or so ago when I found I'd lost the old one (in 20 years here I've only ever done two TM30's), was fine. Of course, it often seems like there's rules for one person and different rules for the next, so you can never be sure.

Was that Jomtien Immigration or a different office? Both the TM30 reporting desk (~5 months ago) and the queue ticket girls (~2 months ago) who ended up doing TM30's (instead of the TM30 desks in the opposite building) when the procedure changed about 2 months ago told me the exact same thing when I queried both the TM30 desk (~5 months ago) and the queue ticket girl (~2 months ago) handing out queue tickets/doing the TM30 dual tasks.

Edited by bbi1

As many know, each Immigration Office impose their own requirements.  Further, these requirements can change, often without notice.

As mentioned by some, Thai Immigration some time ago did relax the TM.30 reporting requirements saying if you traveled outside of Thailand, returned using a Re-Entry permit and to the same previously reported address, no new TM.30 was required.

That may still be the case at some Immigration Offices, but as noted by several posters, it is no longer the case at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration [Jomtien Beach Soi 5]. They recently (within at least the past 2 months) are now requiring a new TM.30 be filed in all cases.  Further, if you go there for services (90 day reporting, residency certificate, extension of stay, etc.), they are wanting to see evidence that you timely filed the TM.30 when you returned (the requirement to report is supposed to be within 24 hours, but they are apparently allowing a few extra days - in a previous post, someone said it was 72 hours).

If you didn't file a new TM.30 upon return, they will require you do so before providing any services and will also impose a fine - from reports I have seen, it is 1,600 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, soisanuk said:

but as noted by several posters, it is no longer the case at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration [Jomtien Beach Soi 5]. They recently (within at least the past 2 months) are now requiring a new TM.30 be filed in all cases.  Further, if you go there for services (90 day reporting, residency certificate, extension of stay, etc.), they are wanting to see evidence that you timely filed the TM.30 when you returned (the requirement to report is supposed to be within 24 hours, but they are apparently allowing a few extra days - in a previous post, someone said it was 72 hours).

If you didn't file a new TM.30 upon return, they will require you do so before providing any services and will also impose a fine - from reports I have seen, it is 1,600 baht.

Jomtien - I would say within the last 5 months at least.

47 minutes ago, Expat68 said:

Some people on here will disagree with me (all immigrations are not the same) but when I did this and reported for my next 90 days, I was refused and had to fill in a new TM30

It's up to people if they want to listen to us or if they want to chance it and find out for themselves & risk a fine. There's been plenty of reports from posters with first hand experience so it's "up to them" now if they choose to listen or not.

Edited by bbi1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, grain said:

It's law that the foreigner must do a new TM30 when returning from outside the country, even to the same registered address, but a few years ago a group of foreigners held meetings with Thai immigration and got them to relax the TM30 regulations if returning to the same address. The Thais went along with it and relaxed the law but now it's creeping back in. There are reports that many immigration offices around the country insist on the updated TM30. What may well come back is the one where you have 24 hours to update your TM30 even if you go to Bangkok for a night and stay in a hotel, then return home, or go to Koh Samet for a couple of nights. That regulation may well return too.

What we do is, my Thai Wife registers at any nights away from Chiang Mai. No record of my being away from home. Returning from trip out of the country, I refile. Currently I am faced with changing address due to moving to a new home.

54 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Jomtien - I would say within the last 5 months at least.

It's up to people if they want to listen to us or if they want to chance it and find out for themselves & risk a fine. There's been plenty of reports from posters with first hand experience so it's "up to them" now if they choose to listen or not.

Does anyone know if this new 'rule' at Jomtien Immigration has been advertised anywhere?

I have a 12 months extension of stay on my NON IMM O visa, I returned to Thailand earlier this year on a re-entry permit. I did not file a TM30. I did one 90 day report online before I went to the Immigration to renew my extension of stay at Buriram Immigration. There were no ask about a TM30 and the renewal was done in 10 minutes. I have a yellow house book (living with my wife in her house), I don't know if that were taken into account. Maybe I was just lucky meeting a nice IMM officer.

4 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

So is it only if you turn up in person you need a new TM30?

Maybe that, or if you use one of the agents that insist on a new TM30 every time, like the guy in Soi Post Office who's used by many expats. I sometimes think it's not just different rules for different people, but also for different agents too. OTOH, it may be that some agents themselves aren't sure of the rules so insist on having the maximum amount of paperwork, even if it turns out that it's not actually needed. The agents aren't infallible by any means.

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Maybe that, or if you use one of the agents that insist on a new TM30 every time, like the guy in Soi Post Office who's used by many expats. I sometimes think it's not just different rules for different people, but also for different agents too. OTOH, it may be that some agents themselves aren't sure of the rules so insist on having the maximum amount of paperwork, even if it turns out that it's not actually needed. The agents aren't infallible by any means.

Jomtien require a new TM30 receipt dated after your last entry if you are doing 'any business' with them..........................via an agent, or direct.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Jomtien require a new TM30 receipt dated after your last entry if you are doing 'any business' with them..........................via an agent, or direct.

So a question, lets say I have been in and out of the country several times on a re entry permit and NOT completed a new TM30 on return to Thailand. So If I went to immigration to do some business, say a 90 day report I would be required to supply a TM30, which I don't have so I be fined 1,600 baht for not doing one within 24/72 hrs of returning?

So even if I go out of Thailand for say 2 days, I would still still need a new TM30?

Just now, Smokey and the Bandit said:

So a question, lets say I have been in and out of the country several times on a re entry permit and NOT completed a new TM30 on return to Thailand. So If I went to immigration to do some business, say a 90 day report I would be required to supply a TM30, which I don't have so I be fined 1,600 baht for not doing one within 24/72 hrs of returning?

So even if I go out of Thailand for say 2 days, I would still still need a new TM30?

Correct.

I returned in July and when Jomtien introduced the new requirement I got my resort manager to resubmit a TM30 for me. He spoke with Immigration who told him that I should go to the Immigration office (with a printout of the TM30 submission) to get a new TM30 receipt to insert in my passport. That is what I did, no fine.

I leave next week (on a re-entry permit) to spend Xmas in the UK. I return on 30th December. I will get the resort manager to submit a TM30 again and I will go to Jomtien shortly afterwards. I need to get another reentry permit so I will attempt to get that at the same time.

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Does anyone know if this new 'rule' at Jomtien Immigration has been advertised anywhere?

Nowhere that I'm aware. Only when you go there and want to do something then it's advertised to you by the queue ticket girls to you face to face that you need to do a TM30.

10 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Answer is a definite yes, if you are using Jomtien Immigration and it's within 72 hours with them.

Edited by bbi1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

I just did my 90 day report, 2 days ago, online. I am registered at Jomtien office and my last TM30 was around 5 years ago. I have been in and out of the country on re-entry's several times. My 90 day report came back within 24 hrs, Your application for "STAYING LONGER THAN 90 DAYS" has been approved. So is it only if you turn up in person you need a new TM30?

I never do my 90 days online so unable comment on this

20 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Jomtien immigration - congrats. You have to report your address via a TM30 each and every time you come back to Thailand, even if you are staying in the same place as before. All has to be done 72 hours within your entry, or get a nice 1,600 baht fine. If you don't need to do anything at immigration then you don't need to worry about a TM30. If you do, then welcome to the fun of TM30 each entry into Thailand.

You've gotta love Jomtien immigration, you can only do extensions one business day prior to stamp expiry too. I've wasted two trips there already and will have to make a 3rd trip one business day before stamp expiry.

If I get your comment right!

If a person is on a retirement extension expires Feb 20, 24 at Jomtien consistently allowed to do 30 days prior cant now do until 19th Of Feb 24? 

I made my usual 90 day report online, a few days ago and this time it was rejected, telling me to visit my nearest Imm office immediately, which happens to be Koh Phangan. I took copies of my online request and receipt and subsequent rejection from Thai Immigration and had to do the whole thing again by hand, together with a TM30 with the house owner (my gf) present.

As usual, there was no explanation of why the online report was rejected and whether or not I could continue online reports in future. I will just have to wait and see!

I've been here almost 12 years now and haven't left Thailand since October 2019 (my last re-entry) and I've found nothing in Thailand quite as traumatic as a visit to the Immigration office.