Thai Authorities to Impose Sobering-Up Areas to Prevent Drunk Driving Amid 4AM Bar Closings

webfact

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That might be true for some of them.

Many of us know when we are too drunk to drive, and we don't drive.

Any many of us know that if we go out and have some drinks that then we will not be legally able to drive. This is why we leave our vehicles at home.

You are being way too logical and sensible and forgetting this is Thailand.

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

stupidity without borders... What will happen if the "drunk" person is not willing to go to the area?

How often have any of us witnessed a person declare they are not drunk, and when no one heeds them they go into a drunken tantrum demanding that no one see them as drunk?  Or do only farang do that?

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

I thought this is a first of April stunt 

They are encouraging quality Tourists to drink alcohol until 0400hrs 

Then want to check them out if they are fit to drive in having sobering up areas 

This  is getting to be beyond a joke 🤡

what they are in effect doing is asking the public to police themselves because the police can't or won't do it, it is hilarious to think that mature adults came up with this plan, a collective IQ of ##

are they going to ask everyone leaving a venue if they are intending to drive ? I mean how ### stupid is this

45 minutes ago, bendejo said:

How often have any of us witnessed a person declare they are not drunk, and when no one heeds them they go into a drunken tantrum demanding that no one see them as drunk?  Or do only farang do that?

i have had MB taxi drivers do exactly that at 3am, trying to find one that is sober is quite difficult at 1am onwards, i now phone directly to several drivers that i know 100% don't drink while working 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

have been ordered to set up sobering-up areas to prevent patrons from driving home drunk

Sobering-up areas are already in place. They are called hotels, which there are plenty of all over Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've long thought they should introduce such messages into the nightly dramas that Thais love so much. It might then get through to a few thick heads far better than any advertising would. They could even have Thailand's finest screamers doing their stuff when seeing her dead lover on the road, rather than when she's being beaten by said lover.

they would at times use real accident material as well if i remember right. nothing says hey lets go drinking and driving more than your face through the windshield. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This level of <deleted>wittery needs to be shut down immediately... 

This does nothing other than enable further drink driving. 

There is ONLY one way to handle this - Driving drivers will be prosecute, always.

Nothing else will work, and the baby steps and dancing around the issue in the manner described in the opening article is quite possibly the most incompetent response to this issue that I have ever read of.

• Agree 1

What some don't realize is that new laws etc are not for the public benefit at large, they are there to be used as loopholes by the BIB to extract money where they can quote the law being behind their actions.

• Like 1

55555555! So funny! How many drunks do they think will wait around to sober up?! I've been out, and drunk many times, and have never once thought about hanging around somewhere to sober up! If I'm hanging around I'm having another one! The idea looks good on paper, but in reality.....I don't think so! 

In the UK there's currently a campaign suggesting people don't drink if they are driving the following morning!

In Thailand drink all night, spend half an hour in the sobering up zone with an M-150 and a cup of coffee and drive home!

Hmm, I wonder which is the safest?

The other night  late of course I saw 4 thais  2 girls 2 young men.1 Girl  very wasted sleeping outside on the chair .They wanted to go home but the drunk girl refused to move for at lest a hr.Maybe  a few hrs later she would be ok to be on the bike and home.If someone is drunk then the relax area is somewhere outside.Not the bar owners fault that a person drunk too much.This is the same of every city or town and most friends or bar owner will say u have enough now go home or no more drinking.The 4am closing time will work here and if quiet then close the bar,just like bkk maybe 20 yrs ago.Never a problem really no customers why stay open.If the bar is full bar owner happy and everyone knows 4am is the closing hour or soon after.It will work fine and people happy about extended hrs

8 hours ago, smedly said:

what they are in effect doing is asking the public to police themselves because the police can't or won't do it, it is hilarious to think that mature adults came up with this plan, a collective IQ of ##

are they going to ask everyone leaving a venue if they are intending to drive ? I mean how ### stupid is this

Stuff like this just reaffirms my opinion that they are dumber than a bag of rocks. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

By whom?

Very few people want to stay out longer.

Later closing times often only means business starts later and ends later.

I would guess that most (95%) of 'farangs' under 45 welcome later closing hours.