Delayed gratification

Startmeup

Your 40 years old so you have circa 40 years left to live all going well.

You have a decision to make.

You can retire early now with 100k baht per month to spend.

You can work another 5-10 years after which time you have 200k per month.

It could be as high as another ten years but if you are lucky it might only be 5 years, This isn't predictable. 

Do you take the 100k per month now or put your head down and double your income in the coming years for a much more comfortable life?

Pros/Cons

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

You will go mental retiring at 40 and 100k a month might be a bit of a struggle at 40 and depending on your lifestyle.

7 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

Do you take the 100k per month now or put your head down and double your income in the coming years for a much more comfortable life?

You take that 100k a month and invest it in a 10 or 15 year plan and continue working.

• Thumbs Up 2

You never retire,

You just stop working for the man. and do what you want to do 

Take the money, find your muse and go for it. 

Just make sure you have enough to do the things you want to do, otherwise you would be sitting there waiting to die, 

You  can only decide what it is you want to do with the rest of your life and how much you need to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Startmeup said:

It could be as high as another ten years but if you are lucky it might only be 5 years, This isn't predictable. 

Pros/Cons

I can't imagine why someone  would retire at 40.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Startmeup said:

You lifestyle may vary, but even today 100k/mo is bare minimum I'd recommend to someone to live in Thailand. It allows for a good living with modest entertainment. But what happens in 10 years when inflation pushes prices up and your 100k don't buy quite as much anymore? what happens in 20 years? 30 years? at age 40 you have to worry about these things if you retire that early. Even older retirees are struggling with inflation and currency fluctuations (strong baht/weak retirement currency).

At 200k/mo you can have a great lifestyle, and are much more future proof in case of currency fluctuations or inflation. I'd personally choose to work a few more years and retire with a clear mind than retire early with an uncertain future (imagine having to go back to work when you're 60!).

But it doesn't have to be now or in 10 years. You can work 5 years or however many more years you feel like - 150k/mo should be pretty solid too, it doesn't have to be double or nothing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Normal people retire at 65-67 and live a quiet and happy life in Pattaya

These days a normal person, who had a decent job, can retire at age 50 and a 10 year LTR visa.....only need an 80k a year pension.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So, what do you like to do?

I like to drink with friends and play around with girls much younger than me. How can I leverage this into a workhobby? :cheesy:

(I guess the obvious answer would be open my own venue - except the kind of places I like to hang out would be expensive, and require a lot of connections/tea money/etc which I wouldn't want to deal with)

(though I sometimes do wonder- with the amount of money I and my friends spend on alcohol alone we could easily finance a bar.. maybe when we're older, lol)

3 hours ago, Startmeup said:

You can retire early now with 100k baht per month to spend...

For a start, consider the possibility that 100,000 Baht per month might buy considerably less in 10 years in 20 years, in  30 years.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

These days a normal person, who had a decent job, can retire at age 50 and a 10 year LTR visa.....only need an 80k a year pension.

What do you call a decent job? In the UK the average salary after taxes is just 2300 GBP per month. How do you retire at 50?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I like to drink with friends and play around with girls much younger than me. How can I leverage this into a workhobby? :cheesy:

(I guess the obvious answer would be open my own venue - except the kind of places I like to hang out would be expensive, and require a lot of connections/tea money/etc which I wouldn't want to deal with)

(though I sometimes do wonder- with the amount of money I and my friends spend on alcohol alone we could easily finance a bar.. maybe when we're older, lol)

Many of us like that. But not 24/7 until the end of our life.

And no, don't open your own bar, even if you can afford it. It's a lot of work and often a lot of headaches to run it - even if it is busy and successful. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

What do you call a decent job? In the UK the average salary after taxes is just 2300 GBP per month. How do you retire at 50?

Guess in the UK folks don't make 80 to 100k a year, nor can they retire at 50 from a government job with a lifetime pension of over 80k a year like many in the US can.

15 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

I can't imagine why anyone would continue to work if not necessary.

Well, could you give me your definition of "achievement". I am asking because it becomes  relevant at this stage of the conversation. Different generations may have different definitions.

37 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Well, could you give me your definition of "achievement". I am asking because it becomes  relevant at this stage of the conversation. Different generations may have different definitions.

what achievment?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

What age are you likely to die at or have a seriously diminished quality of life? I would look at family history and factor that in too.

Healthy Life expectancy is 61

Disability Free life expectancy is 63

I've found those figures fairly accurate.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

When I arrived in 2009 I was spending 60kbht/month. Now in 2023 I'm spending under 50kbht/month.

So in the past 14 years inflation hasn't been significant.

Has your lifestyle and/or location changed though? (less expenses?)

As far as I remember from other posts you live a rather relaxed lifestyle with a live-in rental gf. Naturally expenses are low with such a lifestyle. Try to go out to clubs in Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket a few times a week  with take outs and 60k will barely last you a week.

What really has gone up in price in Bangkok since I moved here (2016) is booze, food, and....girls. Pattaya price increases for all of the above seems to be more moderate, but even there there's definitely been changes since.