Who remembers Mr Ed, F Troop, Daniel Boone, Batman, Get Smart and more ....

steven100

Yes, US did produce some great telly in the 60's / 70's. Luckily with re-runs in the UK got to see a lot when Channel 4 first aired in the early 80's:

The Munster's 

Addams Family

Car 54

Get Smart

The Beverly Hillbillies

On BBC / ITV

Star Trek

M*A*S*H

Bonanza

Casey Jones

Bewitched

The Pink Panther Show

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

The Twilight Zone

Gerry Anderson (Joe 90, Fireball XL5, Thunderbird, Stringray)

The Prisoner

Dr. Who

Danger Man

Do Not Adjust Your Set

And the UK kids stuff, Magpie, Blue Peter

The Goodies

Blake's 7

And sitting on the top step peering down to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus or TW3 (re-runs late '60s) after my bedtime.

When working in AUS in the early '80s, then

Hogan's Heroes

The Paul Hogan Show

Kingswood Country

Bewitched

I Dream of Jeanie

To name but a few.

We didn't have a telly till I was 11 (queue the Four Yorkshiremen sketch), so thank god for re-runs.

Watched Best of Paul Hogan couple of months ago, still makes me laugh.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Few of the shows of my youth, except for the original Star Trek, ended up being among the best TV series I've seen during my ensuing life...

IMHO, those included from an American's perspective, in no order of ranking:

--Hill Street Blues

--The Shield

--MASH

--Miami Vice

--The West Wing

--Brideshead Revisited (UK)

--Line of Duty (UK)

--Rumpole of the Bailey (UK)

My favorite was / is M A S H. The army scenes were of course nothing like reality but the comedy was great.

Three years back I was in Australia for a couple of years. One of the channels focused only on reruns of old series.

For months every evening 5 rerun episodes of M A S H.

Then a good sleep.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

My favorite was / is M A S H. The army scenes were of course nothing like reality but the comedy was great.

Three years back I was in Australia for a couple of years. One of the channels focused only on reruns of old series.

For months every evening 5 rerun episodes of M A S H.

Then a good sleep.

There's a cable network in the U.S. -- MeTV -- that carries reruns of most of the oldie shows that have been mentioned above.

https://www.metv.com/about-us/

I don't think it's available as a standalone streaming service. But it is available as part of a broader and very affordable U.S. streaming service -- FrndlyTV -- that focuses on content from many similar channels.

https://try.frndlytv.com/

FrndlyTV has some nice features, including a built-in cloud DVR that allows the user to select shows that their system will record and save for later viewing. I subscribed for a couple of years until I basically caught up on watching all the older shows that I wanted to rewatch.... and then didn't want to rewatch them again and again... So cancelled at that point. (Using the service does requiring having a U.S. IP address).

Screenshot_5.jpg.bd4af65fdb943097be8be21dfebff880.jpg

Screenshot_6.jpg.c4bb563fa4e00ef33844eb1fce247ba3.jpg

A bunch of the included channels above are primarily oldies and western channels/shows, and other various "family friendly" type content.

• Thanks 1

MeTV mostly has crappy old sitcoms, mostly Westerns, which in hindsight are often racist, and since there are so many, seem to serve kids to teach them to be vigilantes, and proper libertarians IMO.

they rotate through all the Mash, which I find unwatchable once BJ joins, (or soon after Frank leaves) they have some Hogan Heroes at odd hours, some 3 stooges on weekends. Some weekend beverly hillbillys , a lot of Mayberry crap , most of it is unwatchable, unless you were young and had nothing to do.

no mr ed, no bradies, no batman , no land of the lost, no banana splits, also no twilight zone much, and no outer limits, both which aged pretty well

Edited by mooping20Baht
s
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From Brittanica on U.S. television in the 1960s:

"Some of the best-remembered series in TV history were first aired in the 1960s. They established the reputation of the medium in the eyes of many, and, because they were on film rather than live, they would continue to be seen by successive generations in perpetual reruns. Unlike the dramatic anthologies of the 1950s, which are mostly unavailable to contemporary viewers, the long string of “classic” programs featuring not only genies and talking cars but millionaire hillbillies and talking dogs, island castaways and talking horses, Stone Age families and suburban witches continued to be frequently rerun into the 21st century. For many viewers these programs brought hours of escapist pleasure; to others they came to identify American TV as a cultural wasteland catering to the lowest common denominator of public taste."

https://www.britannica.com/art/television-in-the-United-States/Rural-humour

All I know is that I watched far too much tv in my life, and I was lucky enough to live as a child before tv was available, so I read a lot.

I did watch most of the shows mentioned, and I just found a DVD set of Get Smart to rewatch.

Did anyone mention Man From UNCLE? Great stuff.

I was thrilled by Beatniks appearing in mid-60's tv shows, about 5 years after they peaked in real life. Maynard G Krebs was my god, Jethro's beatnik episode on the B-Hillibillies was surrealist genius (just re-watched it).

To be a bongo-beating madman with a girlfriend with a severe fringe haircut who was very prone to impromptu interpretive dance -the hippies seemed sexless and dull by comparison.

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Best show of all was Dr Who.

I was a big fan and rushed down to Shipley Glen ( popular tourist spot ) when we heard they would be filming.

Imagine my disappointment seeing the Daleks “ in the flesh “ and the fact that they had to be pulled over the slightly rough grassy ground with a rope as they had no motor.

( earlier daleks were propelled by the feet of the occupant, later versions had a type of tricycle arrangement with small wheels that had trouble manoeuvring on pavements !! )

Get Smart.....sometimes I would get home to find I had "missed it by thaaat much."

Kenny Everett followed by Dr Who (1978)....Wed night was footy training ( 50k drive to a country league), so I always missed Leela which pi**ed me off big time, losing the middle part of the story.🙃🙃

5 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Soupy Sales- a forerunner of Pee Wee's Playhouse
Captain Kangaroo
Sandy Becker
Sherri Lewis
Some puppet show with Baron Barracuda

sorry Peabody,   I've never heard of any of those shows.

where were they made ....  and what year did you watch them ?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I was a big fan and rushed down to Shipley Glen ( popular tourist spot ) when we heard they would be filming.

Imagine my disappointment seeing the Daleks “ in the flesh “ and the fact that they had to be pulled over the slightly rough grassy ground with a rope as they had no motor.

( earlier daleks were propelled by the feet of the occupant, later versions had a type of tricycle arrangement with small wheels that had trouble manoeuvring on pavements !! )

and of course there was the problem going up stairs. They solved that in later series by making them levitate. I guess that would have been a bit hard in the early days before FX.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 5davidhen1 said:

When I was 14 years old, I went to see The Sound of Music --- 4 times!!!

I fell in love with the character "Brigitta" played by Angela Cartwright, who also played the character "Penny Robinson" in "Lost in Space".

My object of desire was Hayley Mills in In Search of the Castaways. My mother took us all to see The Sound Of Music, a 2 hour drive away, twice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Months before broadcasts actually commenced in Perth, my parents were the first in our street, and among the first in the district, to buy a tv. The only thing on it was a test pattern but, after school, there was always a lineup of kids from my school sitting, staring, at the screen.

In a related but dissimilar happening, In Antarctica we had no tv, but there was one in the American Base a short distance away which we visited often. I was there with a group from our base  ( all adults ) that went to see the tv, but the only thing on the screen was a small black square on a white background. For at least half an hour the group looked at the screen without saying a word, before they gave up. I looked at their faces as they did so, and on realising what tv was in that moment, I never watched a tv for the next year. Sadly I was seduced back to the dark side when my fiance moved in.