Do you like condensed milk?

Chris Daley

There’s condensed milk and evaporated milk, at least 2 brands available in Thailand. The one in the pic is evaporated, definitely not suitable for pouring on savoury foods but who knows? maybe some like it.

In the UK, kids have condensed milk sandwiches.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Condensed milk is actually very dangerous here, because often times an open can is left out in the heat and hot sun for many hours, it spoils and it could cause food poisoning and all kinds of other ailments. I stopped asking for it, and I request they don't use it in soups, etc. Many people get sick from it. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

On your roti, on your chicken, on your shredded pork sandwich, on your bread ''cake'', on your fried cooled and refried cold crabstick sandwiches, and on your raw cabbage salads?  I love it.

How about you?  Do you like condensed milk?

NO.   on cabbage ? 🤮🤮🤮

Generally I avoid the stuff like the plague, but I don't mind the banana roti you get in Hat Yai which do come with condensed muck. I'm also partial to banofee pie and that traditionally is made with dulce de leche, which is often made by carefully boiling an unopened tin condensed milk for a couple of hours.

But the idea of putting condensed milk on a pulled pork sandwich is absolutely revolting.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

The Thais have destroyed their national dish by adding this stuff. One needs to explicitly order Tom Yum without carnation to get the authentic dish.

I don’t think I’ve ever had Tom Yum with ‘fake’ Carnation. I say ‘fake’ as it’s not the product that you know if you grew up outside Asia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Condensed milk is actually very dangerous here, because often times an open can is left out in the heat and hot sun for many hours, it spoils and it could cause food poisoning and all kinds of other ailments. I stopped asking for it, and I request they don't use it in soups, etc. Many people get sick from it. 

Erm… that doesn’t seem plausible when it’s not really milk at all, but either ‘non-dairy’ or milk powder with palm oil etc

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ArnieP said:

There’s condensed milk and evaporated milk, at least 2 brands available in Thailand. The one in the pic is evaporated, definitely not suitable for pouring on savoury foods but who knows? maybe some like it.

In the UK, kids have condensed milk sandwiches.

The one in the picture is Condensed. The Pat Ong Go pictured on the can should have been the giveaway for you.

But it’s not Condensed Milk anyway. It’s described as a Milk Product at best. 

Compare U.K version:

B10EF43D-FE6B-4BE1-9D9B-D709ECC3BC76.thumb.jpeg.d19db5478dd432fdc03682d56d3188d5.jpegD4971F3C-D230-4D20-8EC4-B8A2A047703C.thumb.jpeg.42ae666324fcbc346a1c162f7ddb1401.jpeg

to the local versions: https://www.saleeinter.com/17549999/sweetened-condensed-milk

Nothing to do with Condensed Milk at all.

Read all about it:

Sweetened condensed milk is one of the staples of the Thai kitchen. We pour the gooey, creamy goodness on roti, bread, coffee, tea and more -- even topping it off with sugar sometimes. Its sweetness is liked by both children and adults. We can buy a can for about 20 baht in practically every shop that sells general goods.

1244832.jpg

In the past, different countries producing lots of fresh milk would convert their products into either powdered or canned milk for ease of storage. The producers would evaporate the water out by half, with the milk ending up twice as thick. This is packed into cans. To consume, the evaporated milk is mixed with an equal amount of water to bring it back to its original condition.

Originally, sweetened condensed milk was made with 55% evaporated milk and 45% sugar.

As technology continued to develop, producers also started to become smarter (or sneakier) with their recipes. In sweetened condensed milk, milk fat is now being substituted with palm oil to reduce the cost of production. The removed fat is used to make cream and butter which can be sold at a higher price compared to milk.

The non-dairy creamer -- or artificial creamer -- led to a booming business. According to Assoc Prof Dr Visith Chavasit, director of The Institute of Nutrition at Mahidol University, the product is nothing but saturated fat mixed with flour (glucose syrup) and added milk protein. To sum it up, for both sweetened condensed milk and non-diary creamer, there's barely any milk in them any more.

Cans are now labelled as either "sweetened condensed milk product" or "sweetened condensed non-dairy creamer". A can of sweetened condensed milk on the market lists ingredients as 45% sugar, 10% non-fat powdered milk, 8% palm oil, 5% low-fat powdered milk and 4.5% whey powder.

Comparatively, a can of sweetened condensed non-dairy creamer is 48% sugar, 10% palm oil, 7.6% glucose syrup, 5.6% whey powder and 3.6% non-fat powdered milk.

Based on our observations, there are comparatively more creamers than milk products available on the market. They are sold in similar packaging and have a similar price. Without carefully reading the label, one can be mistaken for another easily.

"With the words 'non-dairy creamer' and 'milk product', manufacturers can avoid the law. They can pretty much put anything inside. On the contrary, if the product is advertised as solely 'milk', there's a set regulation as to how much milk needs to be in there," he said.

While the amount of sugar still keeps to its original 55/45 formula, it can be seen that the amount of milk has been reduced by a large margin. The change has been slow but progressive, and even now a lot of people still don't know what they're consuming every day.

"Technically, the manufacturers are not breaking any laws. They're just tweaking with the wording and going with the loopholes they can find. And the bad thing is people just don't understand the differences," said Visith. "People need to be aware that these products are not what they used to consume, even though they still retain the same taste and texture."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NextG said:

Do they have Condensed Milk in Thailand? 
I haven’t seen it. It’s either some non-dairy weirdness or some milk powder mixed with palm oil etc

Condensed Milk usually comprises of Milk and Sugar. That’s it. 

7 11 has small squeeze tubes

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Erm… that doesn’t seem plausible when it’s not really milk at all, but either ‘non-dairy’ or milk powder with palm oil etc

Wrong. Most use Carnation. Carnation® Evaporated Milk is from milk with about half the water removed - making it richer, creamier and perfect to cook with.

Store in a cool dry place. Refrigerate after opening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There's this guy who posts silly stuff and see's if people reply. Name of Chris Daley. 

Agree - very rarely adds to one of his own threads after the initial post or acknowledges replies.