Are farangs inadvertently colonizing Thailand?

bob smith

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

yep.

now it's the farangs turn it would seem

i may have upwards of 10 kids throughout thailand i dont even know about.

i wasnt too careful in my youth..

You're far to old for that despite your fanciful posts you spin Bob. 

The number of foreigners that live here are not in great enough numbers to colonize the country and I doubt most couple that have kids have those numbers.  

With all your wealth you sure seem to be spending a lot of time in tge tourist ghettos lately. What happened tovakway hanging out at the beach or your poolside? 

• Like 1

The real colonization that's well underway both in Thailand and just about everywhere else is not genetic. It's cultural - via modern technology (computing/internet, international travel, tourism, cinema, food, fashion ... ).

The genetic contribution is minor compared to the technological tidal wave.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, proton said:

3/4 kids in tow, must be hell:sad:

One Thai kid is enough.

My Mrs kid was petulant, argumentative and downright violent towards her mother from the age of 10, assaults, knives drawn, pushed her down the stairs. Only way the mother found any peace and respite was when a child therapist in a Bangkok Children’s Hospital prescribed Prozac for the daughter!! 🤪

And her mother smuggled a 12 month supply back here to the UK to quell her daughter's temperament. Funnily enough giving a child Prozac here in the UK is illegal and not freely adminstered like in Thailand!! But then even English kids would have a job keeping up with some Thai kids moods and anger issues!

Edited by Phil1964
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Phil1964 said:

One Thai kid is enough.

My Mrs kid was petulant, argumentative and downright violent towards her mother from the age of 10, assaults, knives drawn, pushed her down the stairs. Only way the mother found any peace and respite was when a child therapist in a Bangkok Children’s Hospital prescribed Prozac for the daughter!! 🤪

And her mother smuggled a 12 month supply back here to the UK to quell her daughter's temperament. Funnily enough giving a child Prozac here in the UK is illegal and not freely adminstered like in Thailand!! But then even English kids would have a job keeping up with some Thai kids moods and anger issues!

I'm assuming this kid isn't your's and you're the stepdad

Can't believe that a Doc in the UK wouldn't prescribe medication for the symptoms you are describing, better than smuggling it in!

• Agree 1

The number of westerners is still small compared to the local Chinese. The Chinese effectively colonized Thailand around the start of the Rattanskosin period by being the first to open shops then ensuring a grip on all commerce. I doubt local westerners of Thai nationality are going to start banks and malls here. 

Edited by Purdey

10 minutes ago, NorfolkBoy said:

I think this is a distorted view of someone living in a foreigner orientated hotspot. I have lived in Thailand with my Thai wife for over 20 years in Uttaradit province and am the sole "farang" living in my village.

Places such as Pattaya and Phuket are far from being representative of Thailand as a whole

Norfolk Boy

I think this is true.

Even in Bangkok, I have lived in Ratchayothin and in Saphan Sang areas of Bangkok and there are very few farangs to be seen there.

When I ride the Sukhumvit Line of the BTS I am always surprised to see so many farangs.

17 hours ago, bob smith said:

I can see that changing in he future.

arent Lisa and Bella half farang?

these are 2 very powerful women in thailand now. who knows where there next destination will be!

Lisa is 100% Thai from Buri Ram, her stepfather is foreign, real father unknown, story goes he died just after she was born and was a government worker, probably BS.

You live in a very small part of thailand only residing/visiting in expat communities…

why don’t you randomly select some rural village in NE thailand and see how you fare on isaan food only or some northern town not named CM surviving on white rice and low grade chicken/pork?

time to release the bubble wrap…

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

the more I look around the more i see western men with thai wives/gf's and 3/4 kids in tow.

this got me thinking.

are farangs slowly colonizing Thailand through reproduction with local women?

In a couple generations from now we are going to have thousands, perhaps millions of luk krung kids walking about.

maybe one day one of them will be the PM.

who knows!

we all know how proud thais are at never being colonized by the west, but it seems to me that it's already well underway.

just not overtly. but if farangs keep pounding away at the local brass then thai bloodlines may be altered forever.

bob.

Thailand was never formally colonised.. however... 

1) British didn't have to abide by Thai law

2) British took land in the North 

3) British took land in the West

4) Thailand (SIAM) had to go through British trade outposts for their exports

5) During WW2 Thailand surrendered to the British after roughly half hour of aerial assault over Bangkok by the RAF.

Basically Thailand was allowed to think it had never been conquered (simps) but the reality is much clearer, better to have a buffer instead of dealing with the French (just have a old French neighbour move in next door and see how that works out as a Brit, they have the uncanny ability to cause problems for almost everyone of non French nationality).

Fast forward...

Yeah in a way but then again - what is Thai? is it Chinese Thai? Indian Thai? Lao Thai? Thailand is ethnically a hot pot of ethnicities in itself *much like india* - there's white Thai's, Chinese Thai's, Yellow Thai's, Brown Thai's, Black Thai's - they are all Thai, but ethnic wise somewhere down the line there was 'breeding' with other(s) from Africa, Middle East, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lous, China, and now the "Dirty" Farang is going pile diving.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

Another silly topic from an individual screaming for attention.

There are nowhere near as many "Western Men" living in Thailand as he seems to think. Figures are hard to confirm, but the number is somewhere around 150,000.  The several millions of foreigners in Thailand are mainly from neighboring countries.

The biggest category of westerners are those holding work visas, probably on temporary assignment. Many of the others are single retirees and a lot fewer expats are married and raising families. (One source I found suggests there's under 20,000 with a Thai spouse. Fewer of us have children)

The OPs research on numbers of children with western fathers consisted of "looking around."  I've personally never seen a westerner with more than 2 kids. I'm not saying there aren't some but given their propensity to start procreating at a higher age than is traditional, I wouldn't think not too many have a tribe of kids at foot.

My point being, the idea that half-western kids are colonizing the country is ludicrous. If he had said the same about certain religions, he may have had a point.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Thailand was never formally colonised.. however... 

1) British didn't have to abide by Thai law

2) British took land in the North 

3) British took land in the West

4) Thailand (SIAM) had to go through British trade outposts for their exports

5) During WW2 Thailand surrendered to the British after roughly half hour of aerial assault over Bangkok by the RAF.

Basically Thailand was allowed to think it had never been conquered (simps) but the reality is much clearer, better to have a buffer instead of dealing with the French (just have a old French neighbour move in next door and see how that works out as a Brit, they have the uncanny ability to cause problems for almost everyone of non French nationality).

Fast forward...

Yeah in a way but then again - what is Thai? is it Chinese Thai? Indian Thai? Lao Thai? Thailand is ethnically a hot pot of ethnicities in itself *much like india* - there's white Thai's, Chinese Thai's, Yellow Thai's, Brown Thai's, Black Thai's - they are all Thai, but ethnic wise somewhere down the line there was 'breeding' with other(s) from Africa, Middle East, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lous, China, and now the "Dirty" Farang is going pile diving.

Are you aware of "The Battle of Koh Chang"  WW2 when the French thought they could take Thailand even though the Germans had already invaded France, technically the French won, but the Thais sunk some of their ships and hightailed it back to Cambodia, as they knew there would not get any new war ships. Now the Chinese have a Naval base there although this is denied by Cambodia.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1