Are farangs inadvertently colonizing Thailand?

bob smith

28 minutes ago, Powder said:

Are Thai not colonized??

Then who is in charge? a Thai PM or a Chinese PM?

Who runs the top stores, factories etc.?

it's another way of colonizing but still.

And Chinese Temples are all over the country, even more than the Russians that have a Church in Every City, there is even one on Koh Chang.  

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

farangs slowly colonizing Thailand

Sadly, some are nasty, cranky, horrible people who continually mooan and complain about Thailand. 

God, I'm so glad I made Thailand my home 20 odd years ago when it was the perfect place on the planet. 

I just have learn to ignore the many awful foreigners that are arriving these days. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Sadly, some are nasty, cranky, horrible people who continually mooan and complain about Thailand

They do make it easy for us to complain to be fair.

if only you could get your hands on my personal diary.. the things ive seen here over the years would either make your toes curl or break out into laughter!

4 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I probably have the same diary but I knew what it was like that before I called Thailand home, I knew what I was in for. 

I did my du diligence, researched before residing but strangely some foreigners are coming here and wanting to change things, making it the same Sh1ty place I left behind. 

They are changing themselves!

thais like iphones, social media and cheeseburgers just as much as the farangs do!!

Edited by bob smith

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

They are changing themselves!

thais like iphones, social media and cheeseburgers just as much as the farangs do!!

Who doesn't like iphones, technology, it's evolving people which is good. 

I reckon its the foreigners making them change. 

KFC, pizza, burger joints, crap I don't eat. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon its the foreigners making them change. 

KFC, pizza, burger joints, crap I don't eat. 

Thais eat them though.

no farang is forcing them to eat a burger,

they just like it.

you should have seen the queue this morning outside my local mcdonalds!! Unreal:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Thais eat them though.

no farang is forcing them to eat a burger,

they just like it.

you should have seen the queue this morning outside my local mcdonalds!! Unreal:

Its good marketing that makes them buy it. 

These people are brainwashed 

Marketing tries to brainwash us all 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

the more I look around the more i see western men with thai wives/gf's and 3/4 kids in tow.

this got me thinking.

are farangs slowly colonizing Thailand through reproduction with local women?

In a couple generations from now we are going to have thousands, perhaps millions of luk krung kids walking about.

maybe one day one of them will be the PM.

who knows!

we all know how proud thais are at never being colonized by the west, but it seems to me that it's already well underway.

just not overtly. but if farangs keep pounding away at the local brass then thai bloodlines may be altered forever.

bob.

This might happen if all these kids went to International schools or boarding school overseas, then overseas Uni and finally returned to Thailand as fully Westernised adults. 

But from what I've seen a lot of half Farang kids are raised as Thai in Nakhon Nowhere.  

It saddens me when I see kids who are half Farang but the fathers are not financially capable of giving them the advantages that being half Farang should provide them.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, bob smith said:

not much they can do really, is there?

except ban all farang / thai relationships? 

I wouldn't put it past them but I kinda doubt that.

Actually I suspect your analysis is rather over the top. Of course it might be different in your location (which I think you have mentioned before is Pattaya, but Pattaya is not Thailand and is not

a good example). 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, bob smith said:

the more I look around the more i see western men with thai wives/gf's and 3/4 kids in tow.

this got me thinking.

In a couple generations from now we are going to have thousands, perhaps millions of luk krung kids walking about.

who knows!

we all know how proud thais are at never being colonized by the west, but it seems to me that it's already well underway.

just not overtly. but if farangs keep pounding away at the local brass then thai bloodlines may be altered forever.

bob.

Look krung  are  Thais, actually, thai nation has always been a mixture of different nationalities during their history

20 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Looking at what's going on in the UK maybe that's a good thing?

Weird isn't it? Brown skinned leaders with immigrant antecedents baying to stop immigration in to the UK. Leaving the EU and it's freedom of movement didn't stop that, the numbers from the rest if the world previously about half the total now fill that gap+++

Why?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

The UK has around 10 million foreign-born people living there. Does that mean that it has also been 'colonised'?

I doubt that Thailand has anything like that number of falang (white people) living there? If there are many foreigners living in Thailand I suspect that most of them would be from neighbouring countries?

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

The Battle of Koh Chang

Yes, but also another unknown fact, Siam (Thailand) was the only non-western affiliated force to occupy Germany post World War 1 ~ they even managed to loose some Thai's during the occupation (mainly to being ill-trained).

So Germany has technically been occupied by the Siamese, they liked the Siamese reportedly at the time.

3 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

This might happen if all these kids went to International schools or boarding school overseas, then overseas Uni and finally returned to Thailand as fully Westernised adults. 

But from what I've seen a lot of half Farang kids are raised as Thai in Nakhon Nowhere.  

It saddens me when I see kids who are half Farang but the fathers are not financially capable of giving them the advantages that being half Farang should provide them.

Weird a lot of times i've seen Thai kids shipped back home with their parents the moment they need education because it's free there...

To be fair i have two kids >1 yrs old and they cost something like 1,400 Euro a month in schooling and swimming lessons, then another 1,800 Euro a month for live in nannies.

I guess in Europe it's cheaper.

Mind i did meet one farang (Austrian) years ago who had two kids 10+ and no schooling, the kids were almost feral.

Edited by Jenkins9039
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, bob smith said:

this got me thinking.

who knows!

bob.

What you on about Khun Bob,You talk about the Farangs /Thai off spring yea.

Take a look back in history and you will find that Thais are allready a mixed(up) race.  

Theraphan Luangthongkum, a Thai linguist of Chinese ancestry, claims that 40% of the contemporary Thai population have some distant Chinese ancestry largely contributed from the descendants of the former successive waves of Han Chinese immigrants that have poured into Thailand over the last several centuries.

On 12/22/2023 at 8:11 AM, bob smith said:

this got me thinking.

Might be depending of which areas you mingle in – I presume we don't mingle in the same neighborhoods – I would rather think it's the Chinese that are colonizing Thailand...:whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:50 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Chinese are buying up most of the condos in Thailand (Japanese too), while 'the French' buy only a tiny fraction...

It is the Chinese way of taking over a country. They dont go for armed conflict instead they take over businesses and buy up property. They also are generous in lending money knowing it cant be repaid so they accept the non-payment in return for positions of power within major companies.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

So Germany has technically been occupied by the Siamese, they liked the Siamese reportedly at the time.

So has USA during Vietnam war. They just kept low profile but were free to build air force bases where ever they wanted. Smart move by Thais...

"At the height of the war, some 50,000 American military personnel (mostly Air Force) were stationed throughout Thailand. Thai entrepreneurs built scores of new hotels, restaurants and bars to serve the waves of free-spending American G.I.s, causing foreign funding to flow into the country."

Thailand is officially reported to have an under-birth rate. It is therefore logical that the local population with one parent coming from abroad is increasing. In Greece Government gives all women who give birth a €3,000 (TB114,368) allowance and three times in a year €250 (ΤΒ9,530) and....every year.

Τherefore current Thai Government can implement it by Royal Decree.

Whats the problem?

Therefore Greece is the paradise of illegal immigrants because they arrive in Greece and declare to the police for the issuance of identity cards any country they wish.....Greek Police under the Immigration Act are obliged to accept it because they will be prosecuted for racism and descrimination.......

• Confused 2

Interesting topic, I go back almost 20 years and when visiting rural Thailand it was very rare you would bump into another farang and they were desperate to talk to you, now farangs are everywhere in rural Thailand and they don't speak to each other :-)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

"We all know how proud Thais are at never being colonized by the west ... ".

.... Ah, the old 'never colonised' myth.  There's just the inconvenient period when France colonised a large area in the East of Thailand (Chanthaburi, Trat, parts of Rayong) and it was the Japanese who forced them out, with some help from the Nazis who put pressure on the Vichy French.  Victory Monument was built to celebrate the end of the French rule, and Chanthaburi Cathedral is a remnant from the French era.   

Then after the Japanese were pushed out by the Americans and their allies, Britain managed Thailand for several years.  I also think parts of what was Thailand are still occupied by the Burmese and Cambodia?

So apart from the French, the Japanese, the Burmese, the Khmer and the Brits, Thailand has never been colonised.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Satcommlee said:

now farangs are everywhere in rural Thailand and they don't speak to each other :-)

That's because some of these foreigners are bitter and miserable. 

They've married a bar girl because they were desperate to live in Thailand, moved to the village. The misses is out and about everyday, shagging the Thai boyfriend, hubby left at home moaning and complaining on social media. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Kinnock said:

"We all know how proud Thais are at never being colonized by the west ... ".

.... Ah, the old 'never colonised' myth.  There's just the inconvenient period when France colonised a large area in the East of Thailand (Chanthaburi, Trat, parts of Rayong) and it was the Japanese who forced them out, with some help from the Nazis who put pressure on the Vichy French.  Victory Monument was built to celebrate the end of the French rule, and Chanthaburi Cathedral is a remnant from the French era.   

Then after the Japanese were pushed out by the Americans and their allies, Britain managed Thailand for several years.  I also think parts of what was Thailand are still occupied by the Burmese and Cambodia?

So apart from the French, the Japanese, the Burmese, the Khmer and the Brits, Thailand has never been colonised.

Wow, where to begin with your creative fantasy. 

The French occupation of Chanthaburi involved a garrison of approximately 400 troops, some at Laem Sing (entrance to Chanthaburi river) the balance in Chantaboon on the site of the existing fortress in what is now the Taksin military camp.

Definitely no 'colonisation' it was a political statement.

The French were not forced out by the Japanese, or Nazis for that matter!.

The French departed in 1906 after agreement was reached over land borders.

The annual commemoration of their departure takes place at the 'peace chedi' in Laem Sing next month.

The impact of their time here - their barracks (Tuak Daeng) at Laem Sing - housing about 40 soldiers - still exists, it was the Laem Sing library but currently vacant. Their seven small buildings remain inside the military camp and were renovated between 2011-14.

The Catholic church was rebuilt in French gothic style in Chantanamit and completed 1909 on the same site as the previous four Catholic churches, the first chapel being built there in 1711; we attended their 300th anniversary 2011. That's  182 years before the French occupation.

There's an office of the National Archives here, adjacent to the Chanthaburi Immigration building opposite the military camp if you care to learn some real history.