Do you aim to die with zero?

sidjameson

13 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I'll spend down to zero.... but will leave cash in an envelope to cover body removal, autopsy and funeral and house cleaning.

Let me know when you are departing, I'll come over and help you spend your money that's not in the envelope. 

• Haha 2

Unless you have a massive monthly pension to cover additional medical bills above insurance I don't see how this can be achieved practically without an element of concern/worry.

As a single guy with no direct dependents I think it's sensible planning to sell my condo in later life and rent hopefully in the same complex which I feel comfortable in, running down the assets in Thailand so there is not much here for relatives to have to deal with. I don't mind leaving my maximum 800k to a trustworthy friend to distribute equally amongst a list of the condo staff and particular bar staff in my 2 regular venues that I've known for years. As we know a little goes a long way here to people earning sub 20k a month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I remember a story from a playboy in Germany many years ago. He had a testament like this:

The last girl who has sex with him will get everything.

That sounds to me like a reasonable arrangement. 

P.S.: I guess my personal rest wealth won't be high enough to attract too many girls with such a deal. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The last 6 months are often medically very expensive

That's why I wanna be sure my money's already gone 100%

PS. Seriously: I plan to give all to https://www.msf.org/

- Doctors w/o borders. I think they do a great job and all are my heroes.

Edited by GypsyT
  • Like 2

If I had no dependents then the perfect scenario is net zero, except for owing banks and credit card companies as much as possible.

With dependents, aiming to leave nothing would be the most selfish thing I could do. I never had a big leg up in life, but a few thousand here and there does make a difference.

On the flip side, I know a handful of 20 or 30 somethings here in Thailand that were born into wealth, never had to work a real day in their life and never had to worry about money for life's real essentials. All but maybe 1 are total spoilt brats with zero clue about the value of money. If my kids ever end up with that attitude to life and money then I've been a total failure.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

As no-one can predict how long they will live, IMO it's pretty stupid to try for zero, unless one aims to top themselves on the day the money runs out.

I aim to look after my GF in Thailand and my son in Australia when I am gone.

There might be no point to being the richest man in the cemetery. However, being broke and still alive isn't my idea of a good time.

• Thumbs Up 1

No is the simple answer.

The kids will inherit a condo each, which generate my retirement income today.

My wife, if she outlives me (we're only a few years apart so who knows) will get our house, plus whatever is in the bank and my survivor social security benefits.

We live pretty comfortably, don't see any need to liquidate assets for a total end of it all blow out!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

No is the simple answer.

The kids will inherit a condo each, which generate my retirement income today.

My wife, if she outlives me (we're only a few years apart so who knows) will get our house, plus whatever is in the bank and my survivor social security benefits.

We live pretty comfortably, don't see any need to liquidate assets for a total end of it all blow out!

Almost exactly the same. Weird 😄