Missing British artist Millie Young is 'believed to be trapped inside' sunken tour vessel that is now 180ft beneath the waves after capsizing off Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Rescue teams believe missing British artist Millie Young is trapped inside the vessel she was on when it capsized off the coast of Thailand last week.

• Millie Young disappeared on December 23 after the boat she was on capsized
  • Rescuers have kept up searches for the missing artist originally from Brighton 
  •  

A helicopter and dozens of ships have spent days following ocean currents around the Surin Islands where the ship sank, but have not found anything to help in their search for Ms Young, who disappeared on December 23.

The ship's cook Samniang Chaichana, 67, is also thought to have been trapped on board when the ship sank to a depth of 180ft while Ms Young was enjoying a dream adventure with friends. 

Pichet Songtan, spokesman for Thai Maritime Enforcement Command Centre (Thai-MECC), said: 'The rescue committee is working to find the sunken ship as quickly as possible. We believe that the missing people are trapped inside.'

The Reggae Queen left Thap Lamu Pier on the mainland in the afternoon of December 22, carrying 13 tourists and five crew members.

Songtan explained how the ship was forced to stop en route as 'the waves were so strong'. 

image.jpeg

Waves 'more than three metres high' slapped against the side of the ship, with too much being taken on for the waste water pump to remove. Crew woke the passengers and arranged life rafts for evacuation before the ship sank.

On Christmas Day, it was reported an inflatable life raft had been found, 20 nautical miles away from where the ship went down.

By JAMES REYNOLDS 

Full story: DAILY MAIL ONLINE 2023-12-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Two days later.

The reporting on this story seems filled with inconsistencies. There is this: 

"At around 4 am, the waves were more than three meters high, then the water began to wash into the boat. The waste water pump in the boat could not remove the waste water. Therefore, the ship's officers were asked to wake up all the sleeping tourists, along with arranging life rafts for evacuation before the ship sank.

"The ship floated on the waves for more than three hours until another boat found it and rescued the group at around 9am."  https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/missing-brit-tourist-believed-trapped-31755089

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Screw relying on tour operator or captain to decide if safe to sail.  I'd verify the forecast myself, and with 2-3 meter waves forecast, you ain't getting me on a 'boat', unless it's a cruise 'ship'.

Our personal safety is our personal responsibility.

When I used to take govt buses, I'd do a walk around, make sure they aren't running on maypops :giggle:

Situational awareness.

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

So 18 on board.....two seemingly went down with the ship.....what happened to the rest?

Amazing, that they could not all get to rescue rafts, it must have gone down quickly. A sad thing is loss of life and to many Thai boats sink, collide and kill tourists, hello, where is the safety checks on vessels and checks on crew and there experience, just cowboys, thinking it won't happen to me, Satu, 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1