Thailand wants to see far more US and Canadian tourists as long-haul visitors spend twice as much

webfact

4 minutes ago, timendres said:

Quite right. It was 44 when I visited in 2001. I was thinking of the range of the past 15 years after that financial disaster "settled down".

I arrived/retired 14Sept2000, and built 1st house straight away, then 1st car couple years later.

sa.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, timendres said:

So I am planning long term for a weaker dollar. My only hope is that Thailand's infamous competence will help keep the THB weaker as well.

If the past 15 years is any indication, they seem to like 30-35 range :cheesy:

sa.png

As long as it stays above 28.20 ish, I can continue doing ret. exts. :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, timendres said:

Since the Thai baht went off the "peg" in 1997, USDTHB has ranged between (roughly) 29 and 36. So we are still in the upper end of the range. The recent weakness is due to the expectations of an impending rate cut in the US, which seems quite likely. However, due to the EuroDollar system that the world is currently based on, there is a very high likelihood that the USD will "melt up" during the next financial crisis, which could bring USDTHB to near all time highs in the upper forties. Unfortunately, that event will be the proverbial canary in the coal mine, indicating the stress the system is under, and the other side of that event is both scary and unpredictable. But due to the levels of US debt, the US has only one reasonable choice, which is to try and "inflate away" that debt, which will result in USD weakness of the highest order. So I am planning long term for a weaker dollar. My only hope is that Thailand's infamous competence will help keep the THB weaker as well.

Good observations, thank you.  Ironic that in living here in Thailand, we find ourselves at the mercy of currency traders based halfway round the globe.  They have already priced in up to six rate reductions for next year.  After all, it will be an election year, and the Fed will happily accommodate the current administration. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1