Road safety appeal amid surge of New Year holidaymakers in Thailand

webfact

I was forced to turn right today while on my bike as the yellow-plate taxi beside me was turning right.  He had put a pakama (male sarong) on the driver's side window, so there was no way on earth he could see anything on the right... but I guess he was cool. 🤦‍♂️

In the same light, why don't the cops stop all of the big rigs that have decals/stickers covering their entire windows and often most of the windscreen?  [rhetorical question BTW]

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Nikorn reported that there has been an influx of travellers in the provinces since Christmas Day, contributing to a significant rise in road accidents. He disclosed that 56 fatalities were recorded on Monday and 53 casualties on Tuesday.

So what's the problem Still Below of the Normal average deaths per Day.

If they don't Police  the Roads/laws 24/7  than nothing will change.

On average, 62 people are killed in crashes every day in Thailand,

3 hours ago, UbonEagle said:

Nothing short of a rigid enforcement of the road rules with accompanying punishment is going to change anything 

THat will have no significant effect - just think how it could even happen.

Thai road safety problems are much more deep rooted that the average observer seems to believe.

Edited by kwilco

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Nikorn Chamnong, the foundation’s chairman, and a List MP of the Chartthaipattana Party voiced concerns over the expected surge of holidaymakers due to the easing of the pandemic.

He stated…

“This poses a great concern. People are expected to travel in large numbers with great enthusiasm nationwide after a period of Covid-19 restrictions. The government also has a policy to promote domestic travel,

He does realise this is 2023 and the pandemic has been over for a long time???

19 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Stop driving without a license: 'No'

Stop driving while drunk: 'No'

Stop riding in the back of a pick-up: 'No'

Let us add the modern 'Stop driving and using a phone at the same time'.....

I would like to tell the lady who nearly ended up on my bonnet on a bend last night.

20 hours ago, Jiggo said:

Families of four or five on a motorscooter "Yes"

When I see parents riding with their kids on a motorbike without putting a helmet on them it says it all. Doesn't matter what they're told, they won't listen, won't change. They seem to enjoy the challenge of dodging rules rather than upholding them even at the cost of their own children.

Wherever you're from, what possible reason can there be for risking smashing your kid's skull to pieces rather than putting a helmet on? Put a facemask on but no helmet.

I get the whole give me strength to accept what I can't change thing but when it comes to seeing the kids being part of the risk it's never acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

"The People’s Safety Foundation has made an appeal to the government".

This "Foundation" should me made aware that the 'Thai people' are very happy with the way things are here.

And that they will fight against any attempts for changes.

And the Thai people will win.

Compulsory wearing of helmets: 'No'.

Speed limits: 'No'.

Stopping at red lights: 'No'

Stop illegally using a phone while driving: 'No'

Stop illegally crossing over double lines on the roads' 'No"

Respecting double lines on the roads: 'No'.

Stop illegally passing cars on the roads: 'No'

Stop driving against traffic: 'No'.

The main problem is that people here do not have fear on the roads. None. So what would be the reason for any changes.

Passengers on motorbikes, are totally oblivious to the way the drivers go at high speed zigzagging between vehicles. They show absolutely no fear, eyes looking straight down on their mobiles, trying to get the latest gossip on their favorite site...

But then, I suppose that this Foundation has to emit some kind of narrative, to justify its existence... :sleep:

Allowing ambulances a pass through: No

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've posted this before, but.....

You don't understand the Thai system. He has spoken, made his recommendations, and his job is done. Anything that happens later is not his responsibility. You, I, he and everyone else knows that what is said will be ignored and is unenforceable, but that is not the point. He has acted, done what he considers to be his job, while actually doing nothing. This happens all the time, at least once a week. Someone makes a declaration and the next day it's ignored and forgotten. But that person has done their job by 'acting'.

I suppose it is a cultural distinction. I don't consider an idea or a proclamation to be an action. Real men make sure the ideas are followed up. Sloths forget about it and move on, pretending it was not really that important, after all. 

• Agree 2

He also mentioned the potential risks of family groups travelling together in rented vehicles during the long holiday period.

Yet no details of these potential risks were given,?  How is driving a rental car more risky than driving their own badly maintained car

• Like 1

Given the horrendous number of fatalities on the roads, and the potential to save so many of them, the importance of the Police General in charge of traffic should be elevated. Thailand's most respected and effective officer seems to be Police General Hakpan "Big Joke". He seems to love a challenge and the Thai people. Save hundreds of lives. Do it.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/31/2023 at 5:59 AM, hotchilli said:

The main problem really is "respect", respect for other people on the road.

Thais have zero respect for anyone else on the road.

There does seem to be a 'me me  me ' mentality. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2023 at 12:39 PM, spidermike007 said:

This really comes down to men behaving like men. Real men act. Adolescent minds talk, make policy declarations, proclamations about safety, etc., then do nothing. Absolutely nothing. That is NOT leadership, Mr. Sretta.

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the u-turn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I take the lives of you and your family? I don't make the kind of errors that result in bad accidents, much less fatalities. Why? Because I am very, very careful on the road, and very, very respectful of other drivers, their lives, and those of their families. That is a choice that results in NOT making very many terrible mistakes.

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Russia before the oncoming winter.

If the authorities cared, they would make sure nearly all the highway patrol, were actually patrolling the highways and finding reckless drivers. In all the years I have been here, I have never seen anyone pulled over for speeding or recklessness. Get the useless highway patrol to actually patrol the highway.

How about 30 days in jail, for any highway patrolman found in an office, instead of out there on the highway? Roadblocks accomplish very little, except clog the highways. It is a lazy approach.

Spot on. But it is not only the gouvernment that have to make sure that rules are respected but its also the complete stupidity of the brainless behind the wheel. And there are a lot of them here.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/29/2023 at 4:23 PM, Andre0720 said:

"The People’s Safety Foundation has made an appeal to the government".

This "Foundation" should me made aware that the 'Thai people' are very happy with the way things are here.

And that they will fight against any attempts for changes.

And the Thai people will win.

Compulsory wearing of helmets: 'No'.

Speed limits: 'No'.

Stopping at red lights: 'No'

Stop illegally using a phone while driving: 'No'

Stop illegally crossing over double lines on the roads' 'No"

Respecting double lines on the roads: 'No'.

Stop illegally passing cars on the roads: 'No'

Stop driving against traffic: 'No'.

The main problem is that people here do not have fear on the roads. None. So what would be the reason for any changes.

Passengers on motorbikes, are totally oblivious to the way the drivers go at high speed zigzagging between vehicles. They show absolutely no fear, eyes looking straight down on their mobiles, trying to get the latest gossip on their favorite site...

But then, I suppose that this Foundation has to emit some kind of narrative, to justify its existence... :sleep:

So you're a fan of the way things are ?? 

If so please seek help ASAP as you are a danger to law and order and the loss of innocent lives

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, steevjee said:

So you're a fan of the way things are ?? 

If so please seek help ASAP as you are a danger to law and order and the loss of innocent lives

You must be a recent visitor in Thailand.

So please seek help ASAP so you can get to understand posts about the culture in Thailand.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This semi-annual farce of crackdowns is shows the silliness embedded in the minds of our leaders....'talk about lions led by donkeys'. 85% of the first two days of road deaths were people on motorbikes mostly males aged under 30. For goodness' sake do something about the silly people who ride them wearing no protectives gear, drunk as skunks and weaving in an out of traffic, driving the wrong way on highways, without lights at night etc etc. My suggestion is to pull over every loud motorbike (yes, it's profiling). Any motorbike that sounds like a Boeing 747 in take-off mode should be pulled over and impounded and its owner made to either go to jail or walk home. Owners of such bikes ate disproportionately in the high risk age group, speeding, weaving etc etc. Impound the bike and burn them.  

Anybody recognise this car? I've never seen one outside the US. It's called a Saturn, a failed new brand launched by General Motors a million years ago, that failed totally. It was supposed to be high quality and the US answer to Totoya quality, but it had the same poor quality as all the other GM vehicles. I suppose it shows that not only Thais fail to diagnose problems and bring out solutions that lack any sort of success. 

4 minutes ago, retarius said:

This semi-annual farce of crackdowns is shows the silliness embedded in the minds of our leaders....'talk about lions led by donkeys'. 85% of the first two days of road deaths were people on motorbikes mostly males aged under 30. For goodness' sake do something about the silly people who ride them wearing no protectives gear, drunk as skunks and weaving in an out of traffic, driving the wrong way on highways, without lights at night etc etc. My suggestion is to pull over every loud motorbike (yes, it's profiling). Any motorbike that sounds like a Boeing 747 in take-off mode should be pulled over and impounded and its owner made to either go to jail or walk home. Owners of such bikes ate disproportionately in the high risk age group, speeding, weaving etc etc. Impound the bike and burn them.  

Your placing of the word in parenthesis implies a kind of apology   There is  absolutely nothing wrong with profiling be it racial or otherwise, It makes for much more efficient law enforcement when utilised correctly