Does anyone actually recommend Thailand

KhunLA

While backpacking Europe some 35+ years ago and staying in mostly YHA's, I quickly came to believe "one man's meat is another man's poison."

By saying "Thailand" in the header, you lost me. A bit like saying "Australia" with it's vastness.

Uluru is not Sydney etc etc.

But yes, I would recommend Thailand if you have the ability to leave your past behind and laugh at yourself.🙃🙃

Definitely! Why not?

It all depends on the circumstances an individual is in. Many foreigners living in Thailand I have noticed have more money than the average local, but seems extremely frustrated. As the saying goes, money cannot buy everything.

If one decides to relocate in a foreign country, there are huge adaptations one has to undergo - if not, it will be a case of  blaming the locals, the country, the food... basically everything around eternally.

Sadly, many herein I've noticed have chosen this pathetic lifestyle - they aren't happy in their own country and they aren't happy in their chosen new home country. Very sad indeed...

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

The best place to holiday.

The best place to live.

Thailand number 1.

Live .. debatable, but ...

... do love where we live

... love our house, and great value for baht

... love cost of living, cost of O&A

... cost of healthcare (out of pocket)

... non Nanny State

... ease of long term visa

... price of solar system & EVs

... cost of Uni for daughter

Only real negative, and tolerable, as only a month or 2, and that's air pollution.

Holiday ... NO ... if I didn't work for an airlines, and have weeks of timeshare to burn, at the time, I would have never came to TH, way back when - 1999.

12 minutes ago, ravip said:

Definitely! Why not?

It all depends on the circumstances an individual is in. Many foreigners living in Thailand I have noticed have more money than the average local, but seems extremely frustrated. As the saying goes, money cannot buy everything.

If one decides to relocate in a foreign country, there are huge adaptations one has to undergo - if not, it will be a case of  blaming the locals, the country, the food... basically everything around eternally.

Sadly, many herein I've noticed have chosen this pathetic lifestyle - they aren't happy in their own country and they aren't happy in their chosen new home country. Very sad indeed...

... as a holiday destination

No ... 

,,, retiring, then yes, having many pluses, posted above.  I personally couldn't, wouldn't live in Hua Hin, Patts, CM, Phuket, Ao Nang, or any tourist destination, or where most expats live now.  Or even BKK, due to air pollution, almost half the year.  Other places too many tourist, to congested.  Enjoy rural living.

10 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

While backpacking Europe some 35+ years ago and staying in mostly YHA's, I quickly came to believe "one man's meat is another man's poison."

By saying "Thailand" in the header, you lost me. A bit like saying "Australia" with it's vastness.

Uluru is not Sydney etc etc.

But yes, I would recommend Thailand if you have the ability to leave your past behind and laugh at yourself.🙃🙃

Now the groups of young world travelers seem to be sitting around the lobby taking selfies and updating their feed or whatnot....

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Now the groups of young world travelers seem to be sitting around the lobby taking selfies and updating their feed or whatnot....

The ease of 'documenting' their daily routine, everyday, weekend, or on holiday is bit OTT.

Days past it was, grab a few post cards while topping up the car, 'having fun, bore you with family photos when we return'.

Now it's 'I had gra pao for breakfast' ... 'I'm at the mall with pretty lights'.

While on my daily surfside cruise, I see folks pull up surfside, hop out of car, take a few snaps in front of the PKK sign, and then they seem to disappear.  "I was here"

Hope they did some exploring, besides just a good munch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes. Back in my backpacking day I instantly tired of the "me, me me....I did XX today"....people.

A forest in Kobenz, Austria, early January probably wasn't everyones cuppa-tea.🙃🙃

2 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

You're still a newby. 

Not sure about that, almost half my adult life here, since only 69 yrs old.  The last place I holidayed at, as pretty much traveled out, and ready to retire.  

No real desire to play international tourist any more.  Nothing worth the plane ride or expense, that important for to bother.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

... as a holiday destination ?

What motivated my thoughts for this … got my BD/Xmas greeting, family update from my brother.  A yearly thing and he fills my in on his family, kids/grandkids, O&As.

His son retires next year, (age 45), Holy Buddha we’re getting old.  Anyway ...

He retired 10 yrs ago, now 70, so he got to pick where for his BD.  

BD – Antarctica, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay & Falkland Is.

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

Kenya, Tanzania (balloon ride over Serengeti), inspired by IMAX documentary he saw in 1994.

His wife’s father passed, so had to sh!t can one trip.

2024 (May), he’s coming to TH, since in the neighborhood.  Last stop, after Australia, New Zealand,  Tasmania & Vietnam.

He didn’t book the TH part, and I advised him not to, but who listens to me.  Man … is he going to disappointed:cheesy:

Any luck we’ll have a good downpour before he arrives, as CM after BKK is on his itinerary.  Then Phuket, and we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out.  Yea, all of 1 day, and I haven't seen him in 20 years :cheesy:

All I can say is ... "I warned you" :cheesy:

Where Is Thailand? 

• Sad 1

... as a holiday destination ?

What motivated my thoughts for this … got my BD/Xmas greeting, family update from my brother.  A yearly thing and he fills my in on his family, kids/grandkids, O&As.

His son retires next year, (age 45), Holy Buddha we’re getting old.  Anyway ...

He retired 10 yrs ago, now 70, so he got to pick where for his BD.  

BD – Antarctica, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay & Falkland Is.

Other O&As in 2023;

Costa Rica (E & W coast)

Netherlands, Belgium

Portugal

Kenya, Tanzania (balloon ride over Serengeti), inspired by IMAX documentary he saw in 1994.

His wife’s father passed, so had to sh!t can one trip.

2024 (May), he’s coming to TH, since in the neighborhood.  Last stop, after Australia, New Zealand,  Tasmania & Vietnam.

He didn’t book the TH part, and I advised him not to, but who listens to me.  Man … is he going to disappointed:cheesy:

Any luck we’ll have a good downpour before he arrives, as CM after BKK is on his itinerary.  Then Phuket, and we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out.  Yea, all of 1 day, and I haven't seen him in 20 years :cheesy:

All I can say is ... "I warned you" :cheesy:

I'd recommend LOS as a holiday destination, but only if avoiding Bkk, Chiang Mai, Phuket, etc.

I'd recommend Pattaya in an hotel on the outskirts as a base for visiting the many attractions in the area.

The MHS loop is well worth it, along with much of the north.

If he can afford it, hire a van and driver.

I did an overland van tour many years ago from Bkk to Chiang Mai, and well worth it. I was the only one booked and they would only take a  minimum of 2 customers, so I had to pay for the current at the time temporary GF to go along as well.

Only for the music, the rest is either so so or ghastly. Mostly too hot, temples boring, mad traffic, dirty soi dogs, beaches are just for kiddies, national parks, not at those prices, dodgy street food, all the same markets and poor health and safety. Shopping malls are good but not worth a holiday. Some places are total no go areas- Pattaya, Phuket and rural Issan. :smile:

27 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Where Is Thailand? 

???

"as CM after BKK is on his itinerary.  Then Phuket, and we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out."

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

Most tourists are here for the cheap beach experience.

In America, with Mex, Florida, and The Carib close at hand, a 26 hour flight to get the beachfront room for 70% off is a hard sell.

That's why I love Chiang Mai. To come here, you have to have some cultural interest.

Of course, to 80% of the tourists here, a cultural interest means washing an elephant that's been already washed to death or taking a cooking class where they're smart enough not to let you handle an actual knife. We have marijuana and mushrooms everywhere now too for additional cultural experiences.

In Nimman, at least half of the tourists don't even bother with a look-in at The Old City. We have our own, classier night market, thank you.

Most people list eating and shopping as their #1 and #2 travel interests, so there's no need to leave this lovely little grid of 8 soi's between 2 busy roads.

Edited by Prubangboy

I thought Phuket was great, 23 years ago.  And visited twice yearly 10 yrs after.

Was excellent during Covid, after avoiding for almost 10 yrs prior to covid.

We were there in June this year, and can't see us ever returning, unless another pandemic :giggle:

Same here. My last trip there was a few months ago. Don't need to return in this lifetime. I think it is a greatly diminished version of its former self. The nightlife absolutely sucked.

Though the Andaman is great. Always the highlight for me. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

we'll hang out for 24 ish hours at BKK before he flies out."

Take them to Soi Cowboy and see how they react....

PS. When In Vietnam they may like to visit ex French city Dalat up in the mountains. To see beautiful pine forest grounds, like Switzerland, around near by Tuyen Lam Lake and French style hotels and building. Most are still work in process but many are like in Paris.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Take them to Soi Cowboy and see how they react....

Don't have to, as I know exactly how he would react.  Not in a positive way.

Adult entertainment areas would be one of the last places, he would go, and certainly not with his wife.  

I'll just leave it at that, as surely to offend most of the members with any other opinions.