Delivery Driver Can't Find Address

Chris Daley

If you're going to spend some time in Thailand as a "tourist", clearly you are not just here for 2-3 weeks either, then learn some Thai. Or even just learn how to use Google Translate. You'll save yourself (and others) a whole lot of stress and make your own life more enjoyable and much easier. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Yes. But do you not think that 'they' are tired of people in their country are unable to speak very basic Thai.....count 1 to 10 for example.

And they are usually easy to spot. They will often write "555" or farang ting tong in reply to feel like they fit in with their Thai mates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

How about you?  Are you tired of people not being able to speak basic English in 2024?

Hey, how about taking a shot at learning another language 😵‍💫

Anything besides promo calls your best bet is to walk outside (if you live in a metro area around other Thais, any who might speak a little English) and give the phone to them , asking them what the caller wants, and then if it's important, ask them to ask the caller to find someone who speaks English to call you back. If it's a delivery, GPS can find you easily, more so if you're the only farang around, whereby everyone can direct them to your house. Like others have said, if you can't speak Thai, get help from others. Speaking basic English helps anyone anywhere, especially if they are dealing with English speaking farangs, but it isn't their responsibility in Thailand to know English as most of their deliveries are going to locals. I get many deliveries at my house in the country yearly, and it just takes a little patience dealing with them until they know your house.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Celsius said:

And they are usually easy to spot. They will often write "555" or farang ting tong in reply to feel like they fit in with their Thai mates.

I quite often put 555 on some of my replies if I want it to be taken lightly, but NO WAY am I trying to 'fit in with my Thai mates' because I do not have very many, and none of them read this forum.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Phone calls are not part of the deal. The address is on the package, if it's not delivered it never arrived!

I would say 60%of our delivers the driver will phone asking for directions to our house,  and you have to tell them more than once ,as I have done on many occasions, now we live in a rural area a standalone house beside a  road,  not difficulty  to find ,but they still struggle, if it was a Moo Bann, housing estate in a city ,I would they would most certainly phone for directions. Thai's and finding directions are not two words you find in a sentence very often.

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

I am a valuable tourist and I got a call from a man shouting ''Pasadouk krap!  Pasadouk krap!''  Naturally I hung up on him.  I was busy doing my job when he called so he should be busy doing his job.

Take your pasadouk and follow the directions.  When you get to the door stick in the box that holds pasadouks.

How about you?  Are you tired of people not being able to speak basic English in 2024?

you're in Thailand and he's a delivery guy that doesn't deal with tourists on a normal basis, so why would he need to know English?

Do you expect people in the USA to speak Thai when Thai's visit the USA?

you say you're a valuable tourist then talking about working.. so which is it? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Phone calls are not part of the deal.

For some e-marketing platforms it is SOP for carrier to call contact no. to confirm someone present for receipt, especially for COD or where a controlled community requires a stamped receipt. Which leaves me to wonder where is this tourist staying and how are deliveries handled.

Interesting indeed.

I always wondered, what special kind of species the local mailmen must be. I know of the following two existing addresses reading:

237/182 Soi 13, Ramkamhaeng 27/4 
- and -
702/2 Moo 7, Soi 13 ½ Phinit Charoen Road, Nai Meuang, Meuang 

Given the countless unemployed racing through town now as "delivery boys" it is no wonder, that they have not the slightest clue, where all this could be. In the States they number roads, in Europe roads have unique names and the numbering is logical. House numbers here are being assigned by the local honcho on a chronological basis of application. While I live in house 232, my neighbour on the left is in 78, the one on the right is in 412 and the guy across the road is in 1078. 

I use, in each and every case, the GPS coordinates as literally all of these delivery people have a smart phone. Copy/paste the GPS data into the browser will open Google Map, then a blue button refers to "directions", then "start" and it would talk them to the destination. But yes, those smart phones are 21st century, the users usually not ..........