AIS and True reinforce identity checks for multiple SIM card owners

webfact

image.jpeg

In response to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission’s directive, telecom giants AIS and True are set to tighten up measures to verify the identities of customers with multiple SIM cards. This move aims to prevent the temporary suspension of mobile numbers and protect user rights.

Varunthep Watcharaphon, Business Relations Chief at Advance Info Service PLC (AIS), stated that AIS is fully prepared to assist its customers in implementing identity verification measures. Starting from Tuesday, January 16, Advance Info Service (AIS) will send out SMS notifications to numbers subject to this identity confirmation process.

These messages will be sent from the sender AIS with no attached link. To avoid temporary service suspension, customers are advised to confirm their identities within the stipulated time.

They can do this at AIS shops, AIS Telesales, and nationwide dealers, or personally via two channels: dialling the 1612 National ID number (free of charge, following SMS steps) or through the myAIS app for prepaid system customers.

by Nattapong Westwood

PHOTO: via Prune.co

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

23 minutes ago, david555 said:

Could be a problem for us foreigners being temporary outside Thailand in home country ......

Not going to effect many, as only for those with multi sims and verification can also be done online it seems.

From the government guidelines.

According to NBTC's instructions, the following steps will have to be taken:

• 8,000-plus people who own more than 100 SIM have until the end of January to verify their identities.

• 22,000-plus people who own more than 30 SIM cards have until the end of March to verify their identities.

• 380,000-plus people who own more than five SIM cards have until the end of June to verify themselves.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Thumbs Up 2

my Thai number is already more than 15 years in their AIS files , as years later at that time we needed to register at AIS with I.D. in Central Mall in Pattaya basement floor shop , so why now again ?

Even connected on Kplus for mobile use at KK branch done .

I can see that some people might need more than one SIM card, but five? And according to @Georgealbert 's post, 30,000 people own more than 30 SIM cards , and several thousand own more than 100 - why on earth would anybody need that many SIMs? I can't think of any legitimate purpose. 

I

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

I can see that some people might need more than one SIM card, but five? And according to @Georgealbert 's post, 30,000 people own more than 30 SIM cards , and several thousand own more than 100 - why on earth would anybody need that many SIMs? I can't think of any legitimate purpose. 

I

Maybe they destroyed them each after Bar-GF annoyed them too much after stopping the bar relation....:thumbsup::biggrin:

(count as-well for the freelancers on multiple Thai Friendly profiles :clap2:

some guy's would / could not keep the sim alive by leaving Thailand.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, david555 said:

my Thai number is already more than 15 years in their AIS files , as years later at that time we needed to register at AIS with I.D. in Central Mall in Pattaya basement floor shop , so why now again ?

Even connected on Kplus for mobile use at KK branch done .

Please read my reply above, you should not be asked to confirm again. It is only for people who have multi different Sims

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Drumbuie said:

I

I "own" at least 5 sims. My phone, my pad, my wifes phone, pad and kindle are all active. I also have old pads with sims, but they are expired.....do they count...?

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I "own" at least 5 sims. My phone, my pad, my wifes phone, pad and kindle are all active. I also have old pads with sims, but they are expired.....do they count...?

No, 6 sims or more.

AIS prepaid 12Call have made a lot of money from me by deactivating SIMMs that have not been used beyond a certain date. Each time I visit Thailand I have to buy a new SIMM. I now am the owner of multiple SIMMs all except one inactive. Any messages I get from AIS are in Thai language and are ignored. No doubt I am just one of thousands.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

AIS prepaid 12Call have made a lot of money from me by deactivating SIMMs that have not been used beyond a certain date. Each time I visit Thailand I have to buy a new SIMM. I now am the owner of multiple SIMMs all except one inactive. Any messages I get from AIS are in Thai language and are ignored. No doubt I am just one of thousands.

Any messages I get from AIS are in Thai language.....

*700*9*7*2#   seems to be the code by AIS to put sms to English ,

You don’t/didn’t need to buy a new SIM. It’s just that you don’t bother or forget to extend the validity date. 

Don't know about AIS but I have a True prepaid SIM as second number, and I can activate it 360 days in advance for just 30 baht.

I would think other companies offer something similar

13 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Not going to effect many, as only for those with multi sims and verification can also be done online it seems.

From the government guidelines.

According to NBTC's instructions, the following steps will have to be taken:

• 8,000-plus people who own more than 100 SIM have until the end of January to verify their identities.

• 22,000-plus people who own more than 30 SIM cards have until the end of March to verify their identities.

• 380,000-plus people who own more than five SIM cards have until the end of June to verify themselves.

I suspect quite a few many, actually be legimate business or organisations.

44 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I suspect quite a few many, actually be legimate business or organizations.

44 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

My reply was to david555, who specifically said

‘Could be a problem for us foreigners being temporary outside Thailand in home country ......’

I still don't think it will affect many foreigners not in Thailand.

Legitimate businesses and organisations will have no problems doing the confirmations.

Edited by Georgealbert

4 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:
4 hours ago, david555 said:

Any messages I get from AIS are in Thai language.....

*700*9*7*2#   seems to be the code by AIS to put sms to English ,

Thanks. I will add that to my notebook.

I will add that as well, but most SMS's I get from AIS are just promotions/ adverts telling me about the deals I can get on phone call and internet packages.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I will add that as well, but most SMS's I get from AIS are just promotions/ adverts telling me about the deals I can get on phone call and internet packages.

those adverting sms you can opt-out in the MyAIS app (several options to opt-out ....) in menu "notification settings "

Keep in mind you need to keep roamning ON  when outside Thailand !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice&hl=en_US

Edited by david555

6 hours ago, NextG said:

You don’t/didn’t need to buy a new SIM. It’s just that you don’t bother or forget to extend the validity date. 

I didn't know I could so, thanks for the tip. I find the AIS website so 'busy' I struggle to navigate it.

On 1/13/2024 at 5:24 AM, Georgealbert said:

True were issuing unwanted SIMs with their TV/Internet package. I have still got it in an old phone, and years later it still works....

12 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I didn't know I could so, thanks for the tip. I find the AIS website so 'busy' I struggle to navigate it.

Lots of 20 baht topups(perhaps less than 20 baht is possible via Internet Banking and top up machines outside convenience shops) when you first obtain the SIM, taking it initially to a full 12 months of validity. Activating International Roaming in order to make topping up easier when abroad. Each top up adds one month, so it’s better to do your top ups in small increments. I’ve been known to do a 200 baht top up at 10 x 20 baht, adding ten months of SIM validity in the process. 

14 hours ago, david555 said:

those adverting sms you can opt-out in the MyAIS app (several options to opt-out ....) in menu "notification settings "

Keep in mind you need to keep roamning ON  when outside Thailand !!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ais.mimo.eservice&hl=en_US

You need Data Roaming off, unless you want it on. You don’t need Data Roaming on to receive SMS or calls. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Lots of 20 baht topups(perhaps less than 20 baht is possible via Internet Banking and top up machines outside convenience shops) when you first obtain the SIM, taking it initially to a full 12 months of validity. Activating International Roaming in order to make topping up easier when abroad. Each top up adds one month, so it’s better to do your top ups in small increments. I’ve been known to do a 200 baht top up at 10 x 20 baht, adding ten months of SIM validity in the process. 

Thanks, I shall try that. Easy for me since I have a dual SIMM phone but will need to swap my wife's SIMM into my phone to update hers.

2 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Thanks, I shall try that. Easy for me since I have a dual SIMM phone but will need to swap my wife's SIMM into my phone to update hers.

Not necessary to put it into your phone. I top up SIM that aren’t in a phone at all. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

You need Data Roaming off, unless you want it on. You don’t need Data Roaming on to receive SMS or calls. 

I put it of ,and i could not use myAIS app anymore ....

but could be that in Off  position sms can be received ...

I do not know

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

I put it of ,and i could not use myAIS app anymore ....

but could be that in Off  position sms can be received ...

I do not know

Data Roaming and International Roaming are separate components. International Roaming is necessary for receiving SMS and calls. You can disable Data Roaming and use WiFi for Internet/Applications etc

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2024 at 12:38 AM, Drumbuie said:

I

Large companies that supply business phones to their staff would be the main reason.

And organised crime groups:smile:

Edited by madmitch