Thai Tiktokers slam Indian artists’ song as racist, sexist, insulting toward Thailand (video)

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai TikTokers slammed a song by some Indian artists, calling it racist, sexist and insulting toward Thai men and women.

Yes, the song (I assume, I have not listened to it) is probably racist, sexist, and insulting towards a particular group of men and women. Many songs, both contemporary and old, are - especially songs in this type of genre. :huh:

14 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

India's TikTok - multibillion dollar movie and music industry.

Thailand Toktok - this tree looks like a ghost but its not

give it a lick and stick a bit of gold foil on it

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai TikTok users flooded the comment section of videos featuring the song, expressing their dissatisfaction. They argued that the phrase “same same but different” ridicules the way Thai people speak English, possibly referencing interactions between Thai vendors and foreign customers discussing product variations.

Or just talking about the beach resorts around the country after re-opening. Same same but different.

37 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

The Thais crack me up 😂 

The  are so racist and sexist themselves. The dont like  Blacks or Indians  they hate the Chinese  and are open about it. 

Thai men have  many giks and on TV its all based on Cheating, sex and violance. 

But dont say anything bad about them they wont like it. 

They remind me  of Americans they believe it's the best and only country in the world 🗺, which is funny as only 20 % of Thais have a passport 🛂 they dont know anything else.

Brain washed from day one at school if you can call it education. 

Toughen up Thailand instead of getting upset about a song  why not stand up to your government and make a change that actaully means something. 

Excuse me, as an American, most of us do not think we are the best country in the world ok dude!  We believe it is the best country to make money in the world!!!  If you do not believe that, take a trip to our southern border ok!!!  Americans are very quick to point our  our flaws and often criticize our own government more than anyone else that I am aware of.  But, we do know how to make money.  Ok!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Stereotyping is disgusting. 

Not as disgusting as the smell as I walk past 6 Indians sitting at a table with one bottle of water between them, but disgusting all the same. 

Isn't racist hate speech and bigotry against community standards? Such sentiments are far more offensive than any "odor" coming from any source. Personally I think you should go back where you came from and stay there, was it America? You'd fit right in. 

• Confused 1

Cute... 

Ya got to understand there are some (a lot of) very proud Thai people who do not like Thailand's negative (to them and all those European, Australian and US journalist) reputation. Of course they're going to protest. 

But honestly... it's a good laugh. (and cute).

• Like 1

Come on all you Thai's out there are you really going to loose some sleep over such a trivial comment years ago,show everyone how strong you are let it go,are you maybe seeing to much into it.

I remember a long time ago when Thailand banned the song "One Night in Bangkok"   We went to a large waterpark here and they had it playing on their park sound system.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, nikmar said:

Thai vendors sell t shirts in tourist areas with exactly the same phrases written on them!

They wear those T shirts in the video clip !

1 hour ago, maddox41 said:

The Thais crack me up 😂 

The  are so racist and sexist themselves. The dont like  Blacks or Indians  they hate the Chinese  and are open about it. 

Thai men have  many giks and on TV its all based on Cheating, sex and violance. 

But dont say anything bad about them they wont like it. 

They remind me  of Americans they believe it's the best and only country in the world 🗺, which is funny as only 20 % of Thais have a passport 🛂 they dont know anything else.

Brain washed from day one at school if you can call it education. 

Toughen up Thailand instead of getting upset about a song  why not stand up to your government and make a change that actaully means something. 

Another metric involving passports. As if having one made you an expert. FYI, I frequently refer to the USA, my country, as The Evil Empire

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

They argued that the phrase “same same but different” ridicules the way Thai people speak English,"...In my 20+ years here I have never heard that sort of interpretation.

correct me if i'm wrong but have thai not been selling that t shirt for 20 years now ? 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai TikTokers slammed a song

Why should non tik tokers have any concern about what tik tokers are saying ?

Tik Tokers are mainly teenagers , why is what they have to say of any importance ?

Why are we sat here talking about that some teenage Thais has been saying online ?

"One netizen admitted the video was insulting.“I feel bad when I learn the meaning of this song. It makes me sad to see foreigners using the song to make fun of Thailand, but it was even worse to see Thai people joining the trend."

followed by 

"Some netizens thought that the song was good for Thai tourism and that it would help foreigners know more about Bangkok, Pattaya, and Thailand. The heated debate continues"

I saw very few negative comments on tiktok then I looked on U tube and there were no negative comments at all from Thai So in my opinion the article in "The Thaiger" was far more insulting to Thai's, portraying them as oversensitive , and taking themselves too seriously which in my experience is just not true

A pathetic piece of clickbait at best, as expected from that excuse for an online newspaper

• Thumbs Up 1

Well unfortunately, this is what most foreigners see and hear about Thailand. Of course you have the odd few who have never heard of Patpong or Soi Bangla, but otherwise Thailand has quite a sleazy reputation.  I don’t like it myself as I always hope it doesn’t reflect on myself.  I’ve often been asked why I go to Thailand ( snowbird winters), doesn’t the sleaze and in your face prostitution bother me, even condemning adding to the bad social situation as I’m willingly supporting it!!!  I must admit that over 35 years of Thailand I’m vaccinated to all this, but I still think it’s a shame that everyone seems to be tarred with the same brush, Thais and foreigners equally. There is more to Thailand and Thais than prostitution, but tourists often take home images of screaming bargirl touts, scantily clad young girls , crazy lady boys and rip off Tuc Tucs. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, geisha said:

Well unfortunately, this is what most foreigners see and hear about Thailand. Of course you have the odd few who have never heard of Patpong or Soi Bangla, but otherwise Thailand has quite a sleazy reputation.  I don’t like it myself as I always hope it doesn’t reflect on myself.  I’ve often been asked why I go to Thailand ( snowbird winters), doesn’t the sleaze and in your face prostitution bother me, even condemning adding to the bad social situation as I’m willingly supporting it!!!  I must admit that over 35 years of Thailand I’m vaccinated to all this, but I still think it’s a shame that everyone seems to be tarred with the same brush, Thais and foreigners equally. There is more to Thailand and Thais than prostitution, but tourists often take home images of screaming bargirl touts, scantily clad young girls , crazy lady boys and rip off Tuc Tucs. 

If sleaze and prostitution in your face bothered you, you wouldn't go to those locations .

Its just in a few roads in a few towns in Thailand , if you didn't like that aspect, you wouldn't go there  

• Thumbs Up 1