Trump wins Iowa caucuses, cementing frontrunner status in 2024 race

webfact

There was a lot of posts being derogatory to the evolution and educational standards of voters in Iowa

A 2022 Suffolk University/USA Today poll found 76 per cent of university-educated voters wanted a non-Trump Republican to be the party’s presidential nominee.

The same pollster earlier this month found 60 per cent of Republican voters with a university degree supported the former president.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/01/16/us-election-university-educated-voters-donald-trump/

Is the standard of University in the US that bad ?

7 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Is the standard of University in the US that bad ?

What's so bad?

I want a non -Biden presidency.

But I support him if the option is Kamala.

Neither statement is mutually exclusive.

She's the bestest insurance ever against getting impeached.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's so bad?

This part

18 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

There was a lot of posts being derogatory to the evolution and educational standards of voters in Iowa

Is there any need to be derogatory and insulting to people who vote a different way ?

The linked article suggests that there has been a large swing in support for Trump by people holding University Degrees.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

We do however know there are repeated reports from people who have been close to Trump that he stinks of leaking diapers.

But you get used to it. Believe me, I know.

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Dear God, talk about delusional.

Move to where ? Any state that is not democrat blue - democrat states are going to be high tax - just look at the ridiculous laws coming in in California where you will be punished for selling your house !! LOL. You want to lose your money - go ahead move there, all the blue states are losing populace - surely that must give even the deluded a clue !

I guess I wasn't clear: I want to move my assets as far from US as possible (aka a foreign country) and to a place that will suffer minimal economic damage from et al.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

The VP running mate choice will be a consideration because we have 2 very aged candidates. One is so very clearly unfit, both mentally and physically. The other is pretty healthy looking, speaks coherently for extended hours on end, but his age and preferred diet is worrisome. 

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Vivek would be OK, Haley as VP would be a home run.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

joe needs, cards to help him exit the podium. The other day his wifey had to remind him he liked ice cream.

I agree that Haley as Vice President would give him some legitimacy he doesn't deserve. He is currently giving her a hard time making fun of her real name Nimarta Nikki Randhawa Haley, not racist at all, but of course that will all change if she drops out. Sad state of affairs seeing her not push back hard so as not to offend the base. 

I concur Joe has to go. He may still have some smarts but optics are bad and going to get worse. For the good of the nation. 

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

There is no way that Trump picks Haley!

His base sees her as a globalist and many will just stay home if he does that.

Biden's options may be bad but he has been a successful president and if it ends up Biden vs. Trump Biden is without any doubt at all the best choice.

Also consider -- the majority of Haley voters say they will vote for Biden over Trump.

It is not only possible but LIKELY that Trump will be convicted of a felony before the election.

So what?

This what. 30 percent of republicans will not support him in that case.

Could Trump win? Yes, he's a clear and present danger.

But in no way is he a shoo in. 

I think though if he picked Haley as Vice President nominee his fans would still think they are getting Trump who would be totally in control, with a sensible back up, that they could stomach. Besides his hardcore base I think many could not stomach Ramaswamy. 

I agree the legal stuff is still a huge threat but that's a given.

Biden can make things so much easier by stepping aside after an excellent 4 years. I liken him to Carter in 1980  - seen as a good man with good intentions  but not strong in the ways Americans like politicians to be strong. I notice in recent videos he looks seriously old - no disrespect intended because he has done great things and we can't control how we age - but I think it's a hard road with Biden whoever is the opponent. 

23 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

OK, if you say so.

I would have thought that this part was very relevant.

"Mr Trump's victory was a broad one as well. He won the young and old, men and women. He also won over the evangelical and hard-right conservative voters he had difficulty winning in 2016."

What would I know, I'm not American.

OK, but when they say his victory was a broad one, I think that has to be put into context. In these caucuses, the 57,000 or so votes Trump got represents a mere 7% (+/-) of eligible Republican voters in Iowa. It also comes to less than 3% of the approximately 2 million eligible voters in the state.

I'm not sure that getting only 7% of your party's voters and less than 3% of the state's total voters to express support for you, really qualifies as a broad victory.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

OK, but when they say his victory was a broad one, I think that has to be put into context. In these caucuses, the 57,000 or so votes Trump got represents a mere 7% (+/-) of eligible Republican voters in Iowa. It also comes to less than 3% of the approximately 2 million eligible voters in the state.

I'm not sure that getting only 7% of your party's voters and less than 3% of the state's total voters to express support for you, really qualifies as a broad victory.

Yep.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Cyclist said:

This part

Is there any need to be derogatory and insulting to people who vote a different way ?

The linked article suggests that there has been a large swing in support for Trump by people holding University Degrees.

Where did they get them, out of a box of cornflakes?

51 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Holy Christ

Victory was a broad one was not talking about %ages and numbers or eligible voters, it was talking about

"Mr Trump's victory was a broad one as well. He won the young and old, men and women. He also won over the evangelical and hard-right conservative voters he had difficulty winning in 2016."

Hope your not a Democrat that makes disparaging comments about the education levels of Republicans.

Edited by The Cyclist

58 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Agree.  Iowa has never been very good at choosing Presidents.  Heck, they chose slimy Ted Cruz in 2016 (there was no primary in 2020).  New Hampshire will be a better gauge of what to come.  Independents will be allowed to vote there.  If Trump wins a landslide in NH, Dems might as well start preparing for a Biden/Trump race.  If Haley wins....it'll get interesting.  Trump will get even crazier than usual.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Berkshire said:

5555....funny.  I'm an American and I don't see the Trump appeal.  Safe to say the majority of Americans agree with me.

So, you're a fan of the southern border being overrun, wokeness taking over our educational institutions, crime, homelessness, drugs taking the lives of Americans. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, thaicurious said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/01/16/trump-iowa-evangelical-vote/

"Trump’s biggest Iowa gains are in evangelical areas ... 

Republican front-runner Donald Trump added Iowa’s most religious regions to his strongholds in Monday’s caucuses. He combined religious areas with the state’s lower-income and less educated counties to pull a majority of all caucus voters"

Very dramatic.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Says fan of authoritarianism who goes out of his way to avoid hearing opinions counter to his own.

I suppose a baseless accusation could be a type of opinion.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It could be a new thing, as age and incontinence go hand in hand.

When people lambast Joe Biden over his age, they conveniently forget Trump is only 4 years younger than him.

Listening to them both, IMO Biden is far more coherent. Trump repeats himself with non sequiturs endlessly.

Laugh a minute here.

10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Assuming someone who buys Trump trading cards has the education level of a five year old is probably being charitable.

Not sure why your knickers are in a twist or what the reference is to Trump trading cards.

People who need to make assumptions about other people, are clearly not blessed in the grey matter department.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If Americans want a dictator, they will get it in Trump. However, I wouldn't equate strong with someone who goofs off to play golf, and surrounds himself with sycophants.

IIRC Trump achieved nothing during his presidency. No wall, no successful trade war, no healthcare plan. In 2020, he did send the US into a 25% rise in debt to GDP ratio, which illustrates his penchant for borrowing.

Exactly. It's all pretense but let's hope enough voters see it the same way. My 2 cents though is that, say, Biden's approach to the border can make him seem indecisive or unsure, or someone trying to please too many, and his age exaggerates that notion.

On MSNBC a guy from the Atlantic was saying that for many swing voters, not that interested in politics, Trump is right now more of a memory, as they don't see the speeches that are no longer televised, or all the day to day stuff like news aficionados do. Those voters may be turned off when he's back at the forefront of the news again, with all the lies, and nonsense and rudeness. Add the court cases and that might be enough to make him electable only to the base. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Not sure why your knickers are in a twist or what the reference is to Trump trading cards.

People who need to make assumptions about other people, are clearly not blessed in the grey matter department.

From your posts, neither are you.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, retarius said:

It imprisons, brings lawsuits and tries to cancel legitimate opposition. DOJ, FBI CIA and IRS are politicised and act in the interests of Biden and Democrats instead of being impartial, they prosecute opponents and ignore crimes and misdemeanours of Democrats.....you want an example? What about Hunter Biden's laptop that emerged just before the 2020 election and was officially dismissed by the FBI, in a  now well publicised conspiracy, as Russian disinformation....this put the story to sleep, instead of it becoming a major issue in the election which I'm sure you will have to agree, did would not have helped Biden win. Yes it's a banana republic all right, with the populations dumbed down and kept ignorant by TV and media which is all all establishment propaganda.

I tend to disagree.

The spread of conspiracy theories is not particularly an indicator of a banana republic.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1