Pink Id card for foreigners

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

You think its stupid to attempt to not be a victim of dual pricing ??

Interesting you see yourself as a victim. This is only in your head :) 

Foreigners pay the normal price, they are victim to nothing. 

Do you think trying to use a Non-Thai ID card to pass as a Thai is morally correct?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thanks...   So all the documentation baansgr referred to was not solely to process the Yellow House Book application, but for something else (i.e. Citizenship / Perhaps PR)...

And.. as you mentioned... I imagine many would take the 'any way we can fix this issue' route rather than jump through those hoops.

I was told it was to prove who my parents were. Then needed to copy their passports. You MUST have your parents names on the blue housebook, but not the yellow book, although as usual offices have their own rules.

Always a good idea to have a gift voucher. I used my one, 1500 baht Robinsons, to get an appointment before my visa ran out. She immediacy found an opening. 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The practice of charging people more based on nationality rather than residency is wrong.. 

Tell that to the Royal Melbourne Golf Club who charged me $300 more than my Ozzy mate who lives in Thailand. 

Tell that to the University of South Wales who charge my daughter more because she is a foreigner.

Tell that to the USA who make Thai retirees invest $500,000 in order to get a visa...while US guys just have to pay $50 or so and invest in nothing.

It is 'wrong' in some cultures, but better to '.....do as the Romans do', rather that try to educate them to conform with your culture. 

I'd love to debate this more but off topic here. 

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

re you being efficient with the facts ??

Are you a resident of Melbourne ????....   can you show any proof of residency there ? (that locals use for this discount). 

Your 'ozzy mate who lives in Thailand...  Did he show proof of local residency there to get the locals / residents discount ?

We were both guests of members. We both live in Thailand. the difference is our nationalities. I believe he showed a DL from the state of Victoria, which he hasn't lived in for 20+ years. 

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And again, you falsifying statements to bolster your point... No one is trying to educate Thai's or trying to get them to 'conform with my culture'....    We're just using a Thai issued identification card (Pink ID or Driving licence etc) to obtain the non-exaggerated price, or as others call it... residents discounts...  Which IMO is morally sound.

But the discount is not for residents, it's for Thais. You are saying this is wrong, so you are trying to get them to conform with your culture. 

• Confused 3

18 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

re you being efficient with the facts ??

Are you a resident of Melbourne ????....   can you show any proof of residency there ? (that locals use for this discount). 

Your 'ozzy mate who lives in Thailand...  Did he show proof of local residency there to get the locals / residents discount ?

We were both guests of members. We both live in Thailand. the difference is our nationalities. I believe he showed a DL from the state of Victoria, which he hasn't lived in for 20+ years. 

So you were being efficient with the facts... He showed an Australian Driving License which identified him as an Australian Resident.

If you could have shown a driving license from Australia it is likely you too would have received the same 'Residents' rates.....   

This was not based on nationality.. it was based on residency and anyone of any nationality who can show they are resident would very likely secure the same discount.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It seems you are suggesting that whenever a foreigner see's something they feel is wrong in Thailand (or any foreign country), then they are trying to get them to conform to their culture...   You see Neeranam, there are many things in many countries that we can disagree with, the attitudes to road safety being one of them for example... 

I dislike the manner in which Thai's tend not to stop at a pedestrian crossings....  So am I trying to get them to conform to my culture with this objection ??? its difficult to argue against that, as in my culture 'doing the right thing and stopping for pedestrians at crossings' is the right thing to do, morally correct....  and its also the morally correct thing to do in Thailand.

Thus, when that same attitude of 'doing the morally right thing' continues, yes, you could argue that I'm trying to get people [Thailand] to conform to my culture, but really, its more about 'using morally correct practices'... 

I appreciate your perspective on cultural practices in Thailand. However, it's important to distinguish between expressing personal preferences and imposing one's cultural values on others. In your analogy regarding road safety and pedestrian crossings, it's comparable to a situation where, for instance, Muslims in the UK express a preference for conservative clothing or dietary practices in line with their cultural and religious beliefs.

In both cases, individuals are advocating for what they perceive as morally correct practices based on their cultural background. However, the key distinction lies in respecting diversity and acknowledging that different cultures may have their own unique ways of approaching certain aspects of life. It's essential to engage in dialogue and seek mutual understanding without imposing one's cultural norms on others. Appreciating diversity enriches our global society and fosters a more inclusive and tolerant world.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you think that is trying to get a nation to conform to my culture then your argument is not only flawed, its rather daft...  after all, many behaviours and practices in Thailand overlap with behaviours and practices in Western nations...  does that suggest Thailand has altered its culture to conform to the West, or has Thailand, just like many other society's in the world evolved and developed.. you can take examples from the legal system to business practices, to road laws to identify the overlap - thats not cultural conformity, thats just development.

I've seen two accidents when cars have stopped at a zebra crossing. They were caused by vehicles going around on the inside. I've heard of someone dying this way. Giving pedestrians a false sense of safety is not the correct thing to do in some people's opinions. 

You'll be telling us that using toilet paper is hygienic next :cheesy:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I appreciate your perspective on cultural practices in Thailand. However, it's important to distinguish between expressing personal preferences and imposing one's cultural values on others. In your analogy regarding road safety and pedestrian crossings, it's comparable to a situation where, for instance, Muslims in the UK express a preference for conservative clothing or dietary practices in line with their cultural and religious beliefs.

In both cases, individuals are advocating for what they perceive as morally correct practices based on their cultural background. However, the key distinction lies in respecting diversity and acknowledging that different cultures may have their own unique ways of approaching certain aspects of life. It's essential to engage in dialogue and seek mutual understanding without imposing one's cultural norms on others. Appreciating diversity enriches our global society and fosters a more inclusive and tolerant world.

None of that I disagree with...

But none of that justifies the dual pricing that exists in Thailand, some of which can be circumnavigated with the use of a Pink ID to show we are local resident...   

Also, none of that backs up your flawed statement that 'using the Pink ID to secure resident discounts in Thailand is stupid'...

... additionally, none of that backs up your implication that 'using the Pink ID to secure resident discounts in Thailand is forcing them to confirm to my culture'....  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I think people feel they have successfully integrated into the culture if they have one.

No.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Much better to speak Thai to them or show a WP. 

No. Most don't speak Thai and don't have a WP. Neither have been verified to get the Thai price, whereas the pink ID has. Not always, but often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you think that is trying to get a nation to conform to my culture then your argument is not only flawed, its rather daft...  after all, many behaviours and practices in Thailand overlap with behaviours and practices in Western nations...  does that suggest Thailand has altered its culture to conform to the West, or has Thailand, just like many other society's in the world evolved and developed.. you can take examples from the legal system to business practices, to road laws to identify the overlap - thats not cultural conformity, thats just development.

I've seen two accidents when cars have stopped at a zebra crossing. They were caused by vehicles going around on the inside. I've heard of someone dying this way. Giving pedestrians a false sense of safety is not the correct thing to do in some people's opinions. 

It seems you are suggesting a culture of 'law breaking' is safer than one which abides by road laws and the regulations... 

Road fatality and accident stats punch a giant hole through your fundamentally flawed comment....  

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You'll be telling us that using toilet paper is hygienic next :cheesy:

No... thats your childish projection and attempt to point score because you failed to think of anything intelligent with which to continue an interesting debate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, Enquiry123 said:

Have people applied ? Is it a hassle ?   Do I need to have a Thai friend to certify the application ?

For me it was a hassle.  But my Thai wife wanted me to have a yellow book and a pink-ID, and putting up with the hassle to get these was far less than the pain of my wife constantly nagging me.

I don't think a Thai friend is needed for certification. I note thou my Thai wife was with me the entire time pushing me - and doing all the talking to the authorities.

7 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

For me it was a hassle.  But my Thai wife wanted me to have a yellow book and a pink-ID, and putting up with the hassle to get these was far less than the pain of my wife constantly nagging me.

I don't think a Thai friend is needed for certification. I note thou my Thai wife was with me the entire time pushing me - and doing all the talking to the authorities.

But what hassle are you talking about, I had recently lost my pink card, I went to get it again and everyone was very kind without causing me any problems, I paid 60 B.

Edited by BE88
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BE88 said:
10 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

But what hassle are you talking about, I had recently lost my pink card, I went to get it again and everyone was very kind without causing me any problems, I paid 60 B.

You've deliberately missed the point.... 

oldcpu has pointed out 'it was a hassle' - meaning obtaining the Yellow House Book and Pink ID was a hassle... It is the 'obtaining the Yellow House Book' part which is a hassle for all (most) of us... 

...A lot of the debate on this thread surrounds whether that hassle (obtaining the Yellow House Book) is worth it or not.

The actual process of getting the Pink ID (after the Yellow House Book has been issued) is a very quick and simple process, which you went through.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Hassle?  I had to first get a yellow book before I could get the ID.   That took over 2 hours in a local city office , where I had to bring copy of official translations of my passport (which I had) ... Bring a copy of the deed to the condo that I owned ...   For the pink-ID it was almost 3 hours waiting in city hall, with similar documents, (including copy of yellow book), together with a visit to a local police station to be finger printed, followed by a return to city hall with documents from that police station, and then more waiting in city hall offices. 

I don't consider that quick nor simple.

Edited by oldcpu

Just now, oldcpu said:

Hassle?  I had to first get a yellow book before I could get the ID.   That took over 2 hours in a local city office , where I had to bring copy of official translations of my passport (which I had) ... Bring a copy of the deed to the condo that I owned ...   For the pink-ID it was almost 3 hours waiting in city hall, with similar documents, (including copy of yellow book), together with a visit to a local police station to be finger printed, followed by a return to city hall with documents from that police station, and then more waiting in city hall offices. 

Ah, then I was mistaken in my above comment... 

I'm not sure why it took you so long to get the Pink ID if you were already in possession of a Yellow House Book...   the process itself takes less than 10 mins and can be done immediately after obtaining the Yellow House Book.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious on this...

You needed an Original Birth Certificate (notarised, translated, translation verified by City Hall, MoJ, Thai Embassy)... 

I've never heard of a Birth Certificate as a requirement to obtain the Yellow House Book... usually, its just an MFA verified translation of a Consulate Verification of copy of your Passport.

Any idea why they wanted to much more from you ? (which Amphur).

The Yellow House Book has a field for Name of the Father and one for Name of the Mother. The only official document that they would accept for that was a full birth certificate. The Amphur is Bankruat. They showed me the file where they keep all the documents of the foreigners to whom they issued a YTB, and they all had provided a birth certificate. There was no way out of that requirement, and my embassy would not legalise the birth certificate that I already had, which obviously was the exact same as the one I finally got sent to me from Europe.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You've deliberately missed the point.... 

oldcpu has pointed out 'it was a hassle' - meaning obtaining the Yellow House Book and Pink ID was a hassle... It is the 'obtaining the Yellow House Book' part which is a hassle for all (most) of us... 

...A lot of the debate on this thread surrounds whether that hassle (obtaining the Yellow House Book) is worth it or not.

The actual process of getting the Pink ID (after the Yellow House Book has been issued) is a very quick and simple process, which you went through.

Ditto for the little yellow booklet, I didn't have any problems, rest assured that if you go with the bad impression that you would have problems with angry face you search problems.

22 hours ago, BigStar said:

Lacks credibility. For the record, you are supposed to carry your passport at all times, and photocopies aren't accepted.

Not true. That is one of the benefits. Also reported here on Thaiger: https://thethaiger.com/other-services/pink-id/guides/thai-pink-id-card-procedures-and-requirements/#:~:text=With a Thai Pink ID,around your passport with you.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Yes, what the "source" said was not true. Therefore, as I pointed out, it lacks credibility. Accordingly, it's not a reliable source about the pink cards, as the poster had suggested.

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:
23 hours ago, BigStar said:

Lacks credibility. For the record, you are supposed to carry your passport at all times, and photocopies aren't accepted.

Not true. That is one of the benefits. Also reported here on Thaiger: https://thethaiger.com/other-services/pink-id/guides/thai-pink-id-card-procedures-and-requirements/#:~:text=With a Thai Pink ID,around your passport with you.

This opens up another can of worms type debate...

Thai law (somewhere) states that "everyone has to carry around government issued ID which has a photo"... OR, has to be able to "show Government issued Photo ID within a 'reasonable' timeframe"....

For those of us 'within' the province of issue the Pink ID serves that purpose....   this is where there exists a lack of clarity hence and ongoing debate, the Pink ID many of us carry states that we cannot travel outside of the area of issue unless we have alien ID, i.e. our passport, thus the Pink ID is superseded...    But, many of us do not carry our passports when out and about in an area outside of the province in which we are registered with the Pink ID.... 

Also, there have also been numerous flip-flopping announcements from various provinces stating it is not necessary to carry our passports, and a photocopy or photo of our passport on our phone is fine to prove ID, then there are other announcements contradicting that and back and forth...  I suspect the Chiefs of Police in their respective provinces make up there own regulations on this.

SO... Pink ID inside the province is sufficient, IMO... And outside of province of issue, a copy of the Passport on the Phone and if thats not good enough, being able to show a passport within a reasonable time frame (i.e. 1 hour is reasonable).

Again... all very vague and an absolute lack of clarity - but neither is it a huge deal, how often are we checked for our passport ?

Me - I've never been asked for it outside of Bangkok. In Bangkok, I've bene asked 3x and 2 of those times I refused and the BiB just went on their way, another they were awkward, wouldn't accept my DL (I didn't have Pink ID at the time) so ended up 'phoning a friend).. 

IMO - everything I know about Thailand indicates that latter situation was a possible shakedown, they wanted me to get out of a taxi, probably pee in a cup give a full search etc... seemed very much like a 'shakedown' and I'm sure they'd have demanded a fine for not carrying a passport after not being able to find anything else...  (luckily since then, such shakedowns became public knowledge and the BiB in the Sukhmivit area backed-off after the bad publicity)...

So there it is... at least IMO - Pink ID should be fine in area of issue unless the BiB are dodgy, in which case they'll look for anything. 
Outside of province, we just have to take our chance and hope they are fine with a Photocopy or photo on our phone as I'm not going to carry my passport when out on the pish.

• Agree 1