Empowering Thai women in international marriages: TWNE’s Hua Hin event highlights widowhood challenges

image.jpeg

For most women, the life from a wife to a widow is a journey that no one wants to make, often fraught with uncertainty and hardship.

But for those living in a foreign country, grappling with language barriers and lacking familial or social support, that transition can be even more difficult to navigate.

Suppose you are a Thai woman residing in Germany with your German spouse, and he passes away suddenly and unexpectedly. In this challenging scenario, especially if you are not fluent in German, determining the right course of action and identifying who to contact can be daunting.

If you were primarily reliant on your husband for financial support, the situation becomes even more pressing. The key question is: What steps should you take in such circumstances?

By Jonathan Fairfield 

Full story: HUA HIN TODAY 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

Too funny.... while a Farang mug can't even to continue living in Thailand after his Thai wife dies.

Please please where do I file my 90 day report and a tax return for the income I never earned in Thailand? 

Pretty please (while licking boots)

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I'd think it's at least as important to help foreigners' widows who live in Thailand. While it might be daunting for a widowed Thai living in her spouse's country, it must be far more of a challenge for a Thai in Thailand and having to deal with (in my case) distant British government, banks, insurance companies, pension providers etc. 

You have to have a will in your country of origin and a trustworthy and competent executor there to manage the transition and the longterm support to your Thai partner.

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

You have to have a will in your country of origin and a trustworthy and competent executor there to manage the transition and the longterm support to your Thai partner.

And if you have no assets in your country of origin, it is a little easier.

If you are receiving a state pension that dies with you.

If you are in receipt of other pensions you need to contact your pension provider and whoever sends your pensions to Thailand (in my case it is Wise UK) to make sure that your widow still gets your pensions. It may mean rerouting the pension to a bank account in your wife's name only, and NOT to a joint account in both your names, just in case the joint account gets frozen, and your wife has no access to any funds.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

My understanding, assuming the 'husband' is living in Thailand with his Thai wife and dies in Thailand that a will lodged in Thailand and translated to Thai is a must. I would not want my Thai wife having to deal with the 'authorities' in my home country as that would place her at a disadvantage both from a language and process position.

Personally I have instructed a Thai based lawyer to create my will and instructed my wife to contact them on my demise. They will then contact the relevant authorities in the UK ( banks, pension providers etc) and report in Thai to my wife which I hope will be more favourable to her.

Whilst I'm on the subject, my main concern is having the residue of my pensions paid to her without onerous problems and bank charges. Some would only be small monthly payments and paying transfer fees on each amount would bug me from above.

Thinking about your response, a good solution would be for a Thai Lawyer to have contact with the 'executor' in your home country. 

Being older than my wife , I often stress that one day I will die and will leave her alone. 

So I have taken steps to at the very least make sure she would be financially independent. 

And made sure she became fluent in English. and got her US citizenship. 

Still I worry. Part of the problem of marrying a younger wife is that you will not grow old together. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, of course that's necessary. But an executor mightn't be available or willing to give that long-term support.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And if you have no assets in your country of origin, it is a little easier.

If you are receiving a state pension that dies with you.

If you are in receipt of other pensions you need to contact your pension provider and whoever sends your pensions to Thailand (in my case it is Wise UK) to make sure that your widow still gets your pensions. It may mean rerouting the pension to a bank account in your wife's name only, and NOT to a joint account in both your names, just in case the joint account gets frozen, and your wife has no access to any funds.

Private pensions are the main concern. As you say, State Pension - dead. Banks and insurance - not too difficult. How about tax on your widow's pension?

Do you know whether or not your widow can receive the same tax-free allowance (currently £12,570) that you received? She might have to pay 20% income tax on any widow's pension she might be entitled to. Luckily I know the answer to that question but do you? The answer, if you don't, is here:-

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm10340

HMRC might like to keep that quiet.

Looking back at an old thread, I think that you, Billd766, DO know about that but others might not know. I've also heard that it needs to be applied for annually but haven't got time to look for a reference now.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Yes, of course that's necessary. But an executor mightn't be available or willing to give that long-term support.

Private pensions are the main concern. As you say, State Pension - dead. Banks and insurance - not too difficult. How about tax on your widow's pension?

Do you know whether or not your widow can receive the same tax-free allowance (currently £12,570) that you received? She might have to pay 20% income tax on any widow's pension she might be entitled to. Luckily I know the answer to that question but do you? The answer, if you don't, is here:-

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/residence-domicile-and-remittance-basis/rdrm10340

HMRC might like to keep that quiet.

Looking back at an old thread, I think that you, Billd766, DO know about that but others might not know. I've also heard that it needs to be applied for annually but haven't got time to look for a reference now.

My biggest problem at the moment is contacting my private pension supplier.

They have sent me the online contact form to fill in but I have tried for 3 weeks and failed every time.

The response from the robot is that it does not seem to like that I only have 1 phone number and it is a mobile number.

After 4 tries yesterday I sent the robot a sarcastic and snotty reply which will take 2 working days (sound of hollow laughter) before it is responded to by a human being.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:54 PM, Gottfrid said:

So, why would it not be possible to stay after divorce or wife dies? Ever heard of retirement visa/extension?

He mightn't have the 800k or 65k a month to get the retirement extension. Or have conscientious objections to agents....who can tell?

On 1/29/2024 at 6:39 PM, retarius said:

He mightn't have the 800k or 65k a month to get the retirement extension. Or have conscientious objections to agents....who can tell?

Nobody can tell. The only thing I ask for, is that people show some interest and are on the ball for different turns in life.