Death of my wife in Thailand

Rincon

I have never written on the Forum, but I have always read it over the years. The advices I read, helped me in the past to resolve some dynamics especially related to immigration. This is why I want to share this sad moment with you and also ask for some advices. Days ago, unfortunately, my wife suffered a heart attack and passed away. In the past days I contacted his family in Spain to inform them of what happened and they told me to take care of his transport to Spain, since they want to have her remains there. What I would like to ask is the following:
1) I know it might seem material, but I am forced to sell the apartment I bought years ago to cover the expenses I will have to bear. No one knows a real estate agency that can help me with a short-term sales process?
2) We have decided with his family to transport only the ashes and I will deliver the urn with the ashes to the family. How should I proceed to "burn" her? Should I contact the Embassy to transport the urn?
3) How to deal with the airline? Do I need to be advise the airline of what I'm transporting? I will be using Qatar Airways.
Thanks if anyone could help me.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 10

I'm sorry for your loss. You usually permission from the embassy to cremate any foreigner, but I don't know the regulations specific to Spain. I doubt you need their permission to transport the urn. 

With regard to Qatar airlines, I don't know of any specific restrictions of carrying the ashes of someone, but maybe airline from Muslim countries have regulations. I would ask the airline directly. The ashes have no safety issues, so I don't know why any airline would have restrictions....same with importing them into Spain.  

In case you do not know, the cremation here in Thailand is often incomplete and some largish pieces of bone can be left, this could be important with urn size. 

• Thumbs Up 2

38 minutes ago, retarius said:

I'm sorry for your loss. You usually permission from the embassy to cremate any foreigner, but I don't know the regulations specific to Spain. I doubt you need their permission to transport the urn. 

With regard to Qatar airlines, I don't know of any specific restrictions of carrying the ashes of someone, but maybe airline from Muslim countries have regulations. I would ask the airline directly. The ashes have no safety issues, so I don't know why any airline would have restrictions....same with importing them into Spain.  

In case you do not know, the cremation here in Thailand is often incomplete and some largish pieces of bone can be left, this could be important with urn size. 

I choose Qatar because we have always flown with them, but I didn't think about the Muslim component. Thank you. If they have problems, I can change companies.

35 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

Im very sorry for your loss. 

I will be cremated at my local temple when i leave this life. 

It never crossed my mind about any red tape that may be involved. 

I regularly attended the temple and help out when i can, but i imagine being Spanish that your wife would probably be Catholic? 

If so, then it might be worth searching for and contacting your local church for advice. 

There is always red tape involved. The police will have to be 

informed who will immediately close all your bank accounts.

Then as a foreigner your embassy will need to be informed

with a duly completed form. This will then allow for your

mortal self to be released for a half day out at your

local temple. 

Sorry for your lose.

I would withdraw what money you have access to from shared bank accounts. They could be 'frozen' for a while, at it would be an unnecessary inconvenience. If there's a whole lot of money there, just withdraw enough for your needs, expenses.

If there's a will, that will sort some things.

And no, it's not 'material' - it's how these things are. Always details to deal with, expenses. Every funeral and death involves them. Don't feel bad about that part.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dick turpin said:

I am not sure if that is correct.

When my wife died, it was just after we had sold a property and I had put the money in her bank account so that she could tell her family that she was now a 'millionaire'.

I then spent the next two to three weeks transferring the money to my account (500,000 baht per day max.)

I mentioned this to my lawyer (she did not leave a will - we were waiting until the property sold).

The lawyer said that was normal in Thailand - do not worry.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

i imagine being Spanish that your wife would probably be Catholic? 

Thee is a funeral parlor in Bangkok that offers cremation with a full service from a Catholic priest.

It's very close to the Riverside Hotel.

Edited by In Full Agreement
  • Thumbs Up 2

Rincon .....   don't do what my friend did recently with the ashes .....

My friend Jack died .... and he requested his ashes be given to to sea

so they hired a boat,   all suited and ready to bless Jack at 5.00am sharp 10 miles from shore  ......

the moment came and they wished Jack farewell and tossed his ashes overboard .....

however,  a big gust of wind came and blew Jacks ashes all over the folks on the boat ....

one woman went to hospital to get her eyes washed and the boat had to be sprayed clean.

Edited by steven100
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, n00dle said:

does it really matter in the context? 

Gender/identity is important if funerals are being done. Need the right person. Last week I read about the wrong body being taken to a funeral.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

10 hours ago, dick turpin said:

The police will have to be 

Come again?  If my wife dies, I simple go to a Retire Extension based on funds in the bank that are only in my name.

She has a will and I have a Usufruct contract.  The land and houses go to me for the rest of my life and then to my son.
Liquid assets go to my Thai son.

It's a court decision to close bank account and distribute asset in case there is no Last Will in effect.  Not the police.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, dick turpin said:

Then as a foreigner your embassy will need to be informed

with a duly completed form. This will then allow for your

mortal self to be released for a half day out at your

local temple. 

The police close all bank accounts ? Really ? Does that include joint accounts ? 

Sorry for your lost!

When it comes to transport sure it is very similar.

Did this for a friend two years ago.

We got the death certificate from the Embassy U.S. had it translated and certified,  Contacted the airline to notify and confirm their policy as to hand carry on board.

Concerning was the airport security personnel going through procedure. We got a email confirmation from airline translated everything in Thai, we did this to cross our T&I. So to not be delayed.

At the security scan pull out lucky we had all documents after looking at doc they were respectful snf given clearance.

We also looked into shipping back FedEx, told would need documents as noted to ship.

Good luck!

Have the police taken, (the police normally contact her embassy) "HER"? for autopsy? They should contact her embassy as should you.

There is a lot more paperwork than you'd think. The death Cert, once obtained must be taken to the Amphur where she died to be registered, only then can the body be released, for cremation. I strongly Recommend using a funeral directors  to sort it all out. Like the one I posted above. 

23 hours ago, Rincon said:

I contacted his family

???

Edited by brianthainess

12 hours ago, uttradit said:
12 hours ago, n00dle said:

does it really matter in the context? 

Gender/identity is important if funerals are being done.

If you look up and study context, pass the exam on it and come back here, it will make you a better person, and save us some bandwidth. A win win all around I say.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1