SCAM in Cowboy

14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Talking to a guy on soi 7, his bar is about 3m x 3m and he's paying 100k a month rent.....got to go some to make a profit on that.

I couldn't sleep at night; 100k plus the girls' salaries, utilities, losses due to people helping themselves from the till, brown envelopes, etc., etc. - That's a helluva drinks to sell! Hope, his bar is popular...

The girls working in these bars are paid 8000 baht per month and the rest is in tips and drink commission , One of the girls told me she gets around 40000baht per month including the 8000 baht retainer

.  Just out of curiosity l asked what the bar fine was ,,3000 baht !

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I couldn't sleep at night; 100k plus the girls' salaries, utilities, losses due to people helping themselves from the till, brown envelopes, etc., etc. - That's a helluva drinks to sell! Hope, his bar is popular...

Probably just burning through savings or an inheritance. It's hard to see money flowing out of your pocket when you are drunk and preoccupied with girls.

All you see is people telling you how great things are so you can't see the losses, or see them somewhere but end up believing things are great as other people tell you so things must turn around soon.

Can't let all those happy campers down, especially if you have come to know bar regulars, so you maintain the illusion until you are forced to sell. Then do so quietly by making an excuse like a medical issue or whatever so you don't look like a loser and elicit pity from others. No real loss, people forget quickly and move on even quicker.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Tilac has been there for a very long time, but used to be way better before it went sparkly flash. No nudity at all, quiet, very sedate dancing, the owner was always there playing some card game with his friends. My first proper "date" was from there and we went to some huge waterpark. She stayed with me for 3 days till I had to go back to Saudi. Another holiday I met my first long term ( 4 years ) GF in there too. I have fond memories of Tilac from back then. I doubt it will ever be as good again though.

Fond memories and I am reminded of the bar every time I rewatch, “Bangkok Dangerous”. My intro to Thailand and the attention from cute Thai girls (yes, who were making a living) sold me on retiring in Thailand. Satisfied then and now married to my cute Thai girl (and no, met after I had retired here for 6 years and had grown past the bar girls attraction).

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, last time I went there, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, a very unpleasant English manager was overseeing things. No more 100 THB tipping. Buy lady a drink or sit on my own nursing my sodaaaah. Before all that, the best bar in town. Not been back.

Windmill has a monopoly now and have increased prices, no more Electric Blue, Dollhouse, Beavers. Hopefully a new one will open off walking st, not interested in LK Metro

2 hours ago, bradiston said:

Yeah, last time I went there, maybe 3 or 4 years ago, a very unpleasant English manager was overseeing things. No more 100 THB tipping. Buy lady a drink or sit on my own nursing my sodaaaah. Before all that, the best bar in town. Not been back.

Please don't do that, man. Don't let me find you sitting there by yourself with that sodaah either. If thet can't sit with you without buying that drink they don't deserve your attention and business. Time to turn the tables. See you around.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, 2long said:

Warning for all those out there. At least a couple of bars in Cowboy are scamming punters.

I will not mention the names, due to Thailand's laws, but one is a reference to memory in French and the other is a time that 7Eleven stop selling booze.

Taking into account that I have been here 24 years and my mates are far from bar novices, and in their 60s. No one was drunk. This is not Patpong....

Order a lady drink and she brings two (a shot and a cola). In bars in Nana this is classed as one drink and costs about 200B.

More girls turn up and when you offer/say yes to a drink for the new girl, ALL the girls on the table get a shot and a cola, not just the extra lass. And the price of these lady drinks is 300B each glass, so you're looking at 600B/pop/lady.

There's a chitty/bill that the lady asks you to write your name on, but it's not like a bill in a plastic pot like normal bars. For me, it was in her bikini bottoms.

Then when the punters question 'what's going on here?' and it all kicks off, the management say 'you signed for it, and it's all on CCTV'

Two mates had one beer each and the bill was 4,300B but I negotiated down to the 3,000B that they had signed for.

Two mates and I had one beer each and the bill was 2,700B.

We all know that there are a few options to resolve the situation, and each has his own way. Yes it cost us a lot, and we made our feelings very clear in Thai language, and in a Thai way.

As I wrote, this is not Patpong and we have all been to many many bars before, hundreds of times and none of us were drunk. Yes, we should know better, but if we can get caught, others are likely to as well.

Strikes me, about time you silly old fools grew up. Not that clever and experienced are you 

7 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Strikes me, about time you silly old fools grew up. Not that clever and experienced are you 

I bet you're just the life and soul of every social sitation you find yourself in !!!....

I wanted to write 'I bet you're great fun at parties'... but that would open the door for you to tell us all how you've grown out of enjoying yourself !!!... 

• Agree 1

Out here in the countryside there is no such things as lady drinks or bar fines. True, there are no go go bars either. Most serious drinking is at karaoke bars where the girls drink from your beer (if you let them). Any assignments are direct one-on-one negotiations. Some karaoke places charge a customer 100 Baht to sit all night with a girl, but these places are generally a rip-off. Most girls' incomes are from tips.

Thinking about it, maybe all the really attractive and more confident girls go to Pattaya, Bangkok or Phuket, where they can make real money!

4 hours ago, damo1967 said:

It is to boost the small ego's of dirty, lonely pathetic old men! 

Sitting with a lovely lady to talk to is a lot better than sitting with a fat farang or just staring at the phone.

As to getting ripped off, I am a regular on Soi Nana and have never had a problem with the drink price.  Mainly because when I get the first bar drink I check the chit.  Also, being regular, the girls know me and know what I will and will not accept.

Remember these girls are working and it is their livelihood.  Have you never bought a girl a drink in a bar before 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Windmill has a monopoly now and have increased prices, no more Electric Blue, Dollhouse, Beavers. Hopefully a new one will open off walking st, not interested in LK Metro

The one I went to was off Walking Street, not sure of the Soi name. Had several open fronted bars on it, and a variety of other bars. And a big hotel. Tried the others you mention but no real comparison. Windmill was almost anything goes kind of joint. Only once barfined, but it was a huge disappointment. Bar girls out of the bar like fish out of water. Wham bam and they're gone.

On 1/28/2024 at 3:47 PM, 2long said:

We all know that there are a few options to resolve the situation, and each has his own way. Yes it cost us a lot, and we made our feelings very clear in Thai language, and in a Thai way.

Well, I am glad you were culturally sensitive. 

I am sure they really appreciated that.

On 1/28/2024 at 11:07 AM, brianthainess said:

I knew a bar where all the 'Ladies' drank Malabo lady drinks, from my viewpoint I could see it was just coconut milk being poured. 

And that is obviously totally okay, as long as not something else was specifically ordered (by the girl).

It would be a really nasty customer expecting a 50 kg girl to down one alcoholic drink after another over the evening, maybe even with the goal of making her dangerously and helplessly drunk. The girls are there to give a good time, but surely not to ruin their health as fast as humanly possible. Besides, what kind of talk can be had with a girl barely able to mumble because of being drunk?

• Haha 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:01 PM, Celsius said:

I am not a punter, but if I was the last thing I would be doing in Thailand is buying lady drinks.

For the love of god, can someone explain it to me what is the POINT?

Never bought a lady drink in my life and I had been out with a few Thai girls before I met my wife, as the poster says what is the point?

Even the fat unattractive guys should get it off without buying lady drinks, surely these guys really did leave their brains at the airport.

• Sad 1

On 1/28/2024 at 4:37 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Agreed. It always bothered me in a bar, how many lady drinks would actually end up on my bill, so I didn't order. Better less female company than having to worry about getting scammed, as I always knew exactly what I had ordered for myself.

Here's a serious question from someone who never frequented the bars. How hard is it for anyone to get off with a lady in a bar without ever buying a lady drink even if they are fat and unattractive?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The point is that if one wants to decide to take her out for the night, it helps if they stay with the punter for a while so he can talk to her. If there isn't a drink in it the girl isn't going to hang around OR guys just have loadsacash and like being generous to the ladies or having them sitting there with them.

Waaaay back I'd offer them 20 baht to sit with me, but that was when that was all they'd get as their cut from a lady drink so they would sit with me for the cash. Sometimes they'd even sit with me for nothing.

What's wrong with just asking the girl what she would like to drink without all this coloured water nonsense?

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Most guys aren't there to hear them talk.

The thing is, nobody is forced to buy lady drinks, it is voluntary. If you are there for 'not the talk', then simply get the girl: there really is no point of having any girl sitting there and spending good money on top of it for her to linger inactive besides you for any amount of time...

There is also still a thing called common decency and seeing others as 'people' (one here called them 'product', which is more than disgusting!).

Treat others the way you want to be treated yourself. Nobody wants to get scammed, but also nobody wants to work in an environment where getting mindlessly drunk is forced upon you (I am obviously discounting all those girls who actually want that to happen, but that is a totally different scenario, isn't it?).

Edited by jts-khorat

3 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

What's wrong with just asking the girl what she would like to drink without all this coloured water nonsense?

The bar or agogo obviously gets a (not small) cut of the lady drink fee, so in 'modern times' it is frowned upon or even completely impossible to sit with an employee and ordering her a normal drink from the menu. Also, as others wrote, it is nowadays a large part of the salary of any girl working in an agogo, and quite regularly they have to fulfill weekly or monthly quotas.

In the end, it is about the money, as always.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Here's a serious question from someone who never frequented the bars. How hard is it for anyone to get off with a lady in a bar without ever buying a lady drink even if they are fat and unattractive?

It basically depends on how much you offer the lady, but there are reports that nowadays some ladies won't leave the bar with anyone, as a few make as much as 147,000 baht (source: Stickman) from only their salaries, bonuses, and lady drinks. - This is like 10x the average salary in Thailand, and, I suspect, most have a boyfriend and husband waiting at home, so why should they bother. Of course, if one offers outrageous sums, one or the other may still be tempted, which might explain the inflation in P4P prices in recent years...

• Thanks 1