Air quality concerns threaten Thailand's tourism growth

webfact

I :heart_001: that picture of CM (above in Webfact's article). Sad to say I've seen worse over the last decade and a half.

TAT: "Welcome to beautiful Chiang Mai."
Tourist: "Where?  We couldn't see anything as we flew in due to the thick smog."
TAT: "No worry.  Bad air stop when rain come in May."
Tourist:  Note to self.  Don't travel to Chiang Mai from February until May.  Hummm.  I that's when I usually have vacation.  "Honey, let's go someplace where the air quality is excellent next year."

alps-7504344.jpg

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Emdog said:

"Despite the current AQI reading at a moderate level of 28 micrograms per cubic meter (µg/m3), it remains 1.12 times higher than the World Health Organization's recommended level of 15 µg/m3." What hole do they pull these numbers from? Check right now for Bangkok is 153-184.

These morons worried about tourists, don't give a damn about the health impact on Thai people

Beat me to it ! Lord knows where/what they are talking about.....

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Emdog said:

These morons worried about tourists, don't give a damn about the health impact on Thai people

Yes. It's truly sad that this is the benchmark for tackling the problem:

Let's make sure it's good for tourism. No consideration for the poor (and rich) citizens of the Land of Smog.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, apetley said:

Where we are in Kanchanaburi the figure has been over 100 for ages and will remain that way for sometime. Air quality is appalling, all the kids at school have had sore throats, hacking cough and itchy eyes for weeks and nobody with the power to do something about the problem gives a <deleted>. Thoroughly depressing situation that seems to have no end.

Today now in Kanchanaburi 

aviary-image-1706682842406.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

All they have to do is crack down on the farmers that are burning the sugar

They daren't crack down on the farmers for fear of revolution.

Look what's happening in France at the moment. That's partly due to environmental regulations.

Edited by Mr Derek

The incompetence of thailand decision makers is the core problem 

they pay attention when tourism numbers fall but zero concern for their own citizens and foreigners health when being exposed to air pollution…

that is what should drive policy and enforcement…they can’t recognize that AP is killing/making sick their own people in the country…instead they are more worried about lack of foreign monies being spent here 

not a smart culture to put it politely 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, apetley said:

Where we are in Kanchanaburi the figure has been over 100 for ages and will remain that way for sometime. Air quality is appalling, all the kids at school have had sore throats, hacking cough and itchy eyes for weeks and nobody with the power to do something about the problem gives a <deleted>. Thoroughly depressing situation that seems to have no end.

Why complain? You have chosen to live there! Why not move?

• Confused 1

"Air quality concerns threaten Thailand's tourism growth"

For anyone whose lived here long enough it' been a concern for the 20 years I've been here.

Visiting my wife's village and everyone still burning everything in front of there house (despite the introduction of garbage cans within the last two years). Huge manmade ashtrays that get blown around by passing cars, motorcycles, wind.

Unfortunately it's the same problem in all of South East Asia.

Dreading the upcoming burning season. 

• Agree 2

36 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

For anyone whose lived here long enough it' been a concern for the 20 years I've been here.

I lived in Bangkok for over 14 years and have lots of mates and acquaintances who exercise regularly outside. Not one of them has ever mentioned to me their concern over air quality in Bangkok.

11 hours ago, Emdog said:

Despite the current AQI reading at a moderate level of 28 micrograms per cubic meter (µg/m3), it remains 1.12 times higher than the World Health Organization's recommended level of 15 µg/m3." What hole do they pull these numbers from? Check right now for Bangkok is 153-184.

I think the journalist is confusing AQI with PM2.5 levels. According to a quick web search, AQI is an index measuring levels of ozone, particulates, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide, presumably some kind of weighted average. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I lived in Bangkok for over 14 years and have lots of mates and acquaintances who exercise regularly outside. Not one of them has ever mentioned to me their concern over air quality in Bangkok.

I expect their vocal chords are shot!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yet another day with AQI 160+ across western Bangkok. Third day in a row. Do Western embassies warn potential tourists from their countries of the hazardous air quality in Thailand and SE Asia?

No never