Thai Airways sues over passenger’s flight diversion criticism

webfact

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

What if you criticise the thai green curry they made for lunch - sue because you say it's too sweet or something. 

That would be subjective. Falsely and publicly criticizing has consequences that can not be before hand

predicted. 

There is a saying " it is better to lose an eye than to lose your good name" 

There is such thing a death from a thousand cuts. each  cut in itself is not serious, but collectively they can kill you.

So where do you start?  the first cut? the tenth?

but when you do ,you do it in such a way that you don't only stop that cut, because as we said , that cut in itself is not serious, but to also discourage  subsequent cuts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

diverted flight happened to me once on the way to a border run to laos. sure, there was some fog but not enough in my opinion to divert the flight.

Hard to tell , there are so many variables and regulations, that are not immediately apparent to the layperson. There are landing slot considerations, or fuel reserve considerations and  a hundred other things that we don't even know about. 

On my way to the US two months ago with Emirates (a great airline) we got diverted from Dubai to a regional airport , I forget the name . And the plane was a A380 that can not land in every airport, but it did there,.

Anyway I had less than a 2 hr layover and thought for sure I would never make my connection, but as it turned out the connecting flight waited for us, because we were not the only flight diverted, and they followed a different route that got us to the final destination faster, so we were only 1hr late. 

I Googled Dubai and the date, and as it turned out they had a once in a hundred years rainfall that flooded the runways and caused havoc with scheduling,  so I guess we went to the alternate airport to wait until a landing slot became available to us.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

Where is the post? How can we come to a balance decision with out knowing both sides of the story/post?

Relax...no one needs AN posters to "come up with a balanced decision", its just a news story, we are irrelevant.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

That would be subjective. Falsely and publicly criticizing has consequences that can not be before hand

predicted. 

There is a saying " it is better to lose an eye than to lose your good name" 

There is such thing a death from a thousand cuts. each  cut in itself is not serious, but collectively they can kill you.

So where do you start?  the first cut? the tenth?

but when you do ,you do it in such a way that you don't only stop that cut, because as we said , that cut in itself is not serious, but to also discourage  subsequent cuts.

Or you could just take the knife yourself and slash your wrists yourself. 😁

Critics can not be done in Thailand.. another example after hotels, restaurants now the airline is complaining... The customer should look for alternatives and boycot this kind of childish behaviour...

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai Airways has taken legal action against a passenger who criticised the airline’s decision to divert a Bangkok-Melbourne flight to Sydney due to adverse weather conditions. The airline asserts that the crew followed international safety and security standards and seeks to protect its reputation and that of its personnel.

Protecting it's reputation by suing a passenger for expressing free speech.. [whether they knew what they were talking about or not] is plain ridiculous.

Just ignore it, but no Thailand cannot do that... now you have just shown the world how petty you are.

6 hours ago, bbko said:

A airline company taking legal action over a customer complaint? Wow, I would like to see the wording of the critique, but...

The passenger later deleted the original post and issued an apology after learning more about the complexities of aviation operations and the specific weather conditions that led to the captain’s decision. They expressed regret for the hastily written message and planned to apologise personally to the captain and Thai Airways management upon returning to Thailand

Please remember this is the land where they kick you when you are down... expect no sympathy.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

A poorly considered (and retracted) customer review would have been water under the bridge in a few nanoseconds in interweb time.

Suing your customers will reverberate for eons.

Edit:  And not in a good way.

whiney, entitled idiots/customers need to realise that actions have consequences.........removing an offensive post (and one that was innaccurate and ill-informed) is not a get-out-of-jail-free card. Some people need to be held accountable sometimes for shooting off their mouths at will otherwise chaos will reign and anyone will be able to say anything they want whenever they want about whoever they want. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

If the passenger felt that they needed to complain, they should have done so on a more private forum…personal letter to Thai Airways maybe, and not on a public forum. I guess the frustration of the deviation was too much for them. When we travel by any means we put our faith in the vehicle operators and their experience, training and procedures. If the plane had continued to the original destination and met with an incident I’m sure there would have been more complaints.  The reaction to sue the passenger I do think is OTT too. Not a good popularity builder for an airline trying to recover its business position. Just my view.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thai Airways has taken legal action against a passenger who criticised the airline’s decision to divert a Bangkok-Melbourne flight to Sydney due to adverse weather conditions. The airline asserts that the crew followed international safety and security standards and seeks to protect its reputation and that of its personnel.

Thai Airways has addressed the uproar caused by a passenger’s complaints about a captain’s decision to change a flight’s landing destination from Melbourne to Sydney. Yesterday (February 1), the airline announced it was pursuing legal steps to defend its rights and those of its employees affected by the incident on flight TG 465 on January 28. The airline reiterated its adherence to safety and security standards and emphasized the significance of not misleading the public.

The passenger’s post, which criticised the pilot’s actions on the January 28, flight from Bangkok to Melbourne and led to an alternate landing in Sydney due to weather at Melbourne Airport, has sparked widespread discussion. Many have voiced support for Thai Airways’ decision to take legal action against the passenger, praising the airline for setting a positive precedent in a society increasingly filled with disrespect, reported KhaoSod.

One comment read, “It’s justified and a thank you to Thai Airways for setting a good example for society. Insulting and slandering are not honest criticism. Remember this, or better yet, tattoo it on your forehead so you see it every time you look in the mirror!”

by Nattapong Westwood

TOP FILE PHOTO: A Thai Airways Boeing 777-300ER plane takes off from Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport February 23, 2015. REUTERS/Chaiwat Subprasom/File Photo/File Photo

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

I am not the biggest fan of this course of action.  I DO think it’s fair for TGs “PR” or Media Unit to tell their side of the story and to get their version of the narrative out there.. but.. when you go the legal route -especially when the opposing side is an individual customer, to me, that makes you look some what like a bully or being “heavy handed” so to speak.

In my head, given the amount of social media content that out there each day and the speed to which it comes and goes.. IF I were TG, I might be tempted to make one “corrective” statement - then leave it alone.. the odds that any one post will actually go “viral” is very very small… and the “shelf life” of any such post is quite small. 

• Covers content
  • Not interested
  • Inappropriate
  • Seen too often

ADBRO is the full service ad network for high impact contextual advertising with direct access to the exclusive in-image inventories across major local publishers.

We provide free creative adaptation into rich media, interactive and playable ads formats. Campaigns in our channel are delivered under guaranteed prices for actions with programmatic & managed delivery. We provide contextually segmented in-target audiences for over 60 industries with a full range of brand safety solutions.

ADBRO operates across SE Asia, including Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Malaysia.

To test our channel for your advertising campaigns or consider partnership programs for publishers, please contact us at www.adbro.me

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1