Thaksin’s future still in the balance

snoop1130

Some background events that might help to understand charge:

"Thaksin rejects 2016 lese majeste charge, seeks fair treatment" , February 06, 2024 https://nationthailand.com

• "The charges originate from an interview that Thaksin gave to South Korean daily Chosun Ilbo, in which he alleged that the Privy Council had backed the May 22, 2014, coup which ousted his sister Yingluck Shinawatra’s government." 
  • "... a complaint had been lodged against Thaksin on February 16, 2016, accusing him of defaming the monarchy in comments made in Seoul on May 21, 2015."
  •  "on September 19, 2016, then-attorney-general Pongniwat Yuthapanboripan decided to indict Thaksin" (couldn't paste as plain text from article)
  • Like 1

Holy crap ,I didn't know one could be charged for something one said 9 yrs ago in an other  far away country. I  wouldn't know even what I said last year Good Or Bad.  never mind something i said before that.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well, this development does rather call in to question the conspiracy theorists' hoohaa about everything having been organised and paid for in advance of his return to Thailand.

People with a brain might want to reflect on that.

But it was an honest mistake. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The man said many years ago that he wanted to be Thailands 1st president.. I think that is violation of section 112 and need to be punished, but everybody seems to have forgotten it

Certainly we are allowed to "think" what we want. Thai reality comes down to who has the power and motivation to utilize this law and for what purpose. As we do not know the behind the scenes players all we can do is speculate.  My speculation is that to bring charges for words spoken in 2015 is a stretch, as is, saying he wanted to be a 1st President. Unless directly saying that that would absolutely mean ending the monarchy, he could have been proposing a Constitutional Monarchy and not a breach of lese majesty as understood outside of Thai politics. But, as a retired history academic, I am just speculating.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, greeneking said:

I don't believe anyone.  Is that a good starting point?

To be honest, I can't believe half the stuff that comes out of my own mouth 😆

• Haha 2

I’m not surprised he thought he had closedown the deal only for an old statement he made to come back and haunt him a lawyer got 50 years last week how many years will the fugitive receive 

• Haha 1

......revealed today that police filed lèse majesté charges against Thaksin late last month. Prosecutors will wait for police to complete their investigation before deciding whether to proceed with the case against Thaksin, Prayuth said.

They have filed charges BEFORE completing their investigation?  😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrwest said:

My speculation is that to bring charges for words spoken in 2015 is a stretch, as is, saying he wanted to be a 1st President. Unless directly saying that that would absolutely mean ending the monarchy, he could have been proposing a Constitutional Monarchy and not a breach of lese majesty as understood outside of Thai politics

Constitutional monarchies don't have Presidents. They have Prime Ministers as Head of Government.

Presidents are Heads of State, like Kings. Or, in the confused US of A, they combine the roles of Head of State and Head of Government. Either way there is no room for both a President and a King.

4 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

However, the Supreme Court in Thailand has, on another case, sais that if someone commit a crime or have a conviction from outside of Thailand, that is not matter by Thai law or in Thailand.

Just look at that dirty Thai minuter who got sentenced to prison in Australia for drug smuggling. 

You beat me to it. After reading the previous posts I went into the kitchen to do the washing up and think about what I was going to say, When I sat back down I saw your post. I would just like to say that I think that it's a wonderful example of Thai Logic.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Just because the general's allowed Thaksin to return, and arranged a royal pardon for him on the old charges, does not mean for one minute that the general's (or the royalist) like him (or his daughter - who they successfully shut-out for the premiership, and forced everyone to accept the wholly ineffective Srettha). Clever to coax Thaksin back in, and then figure out a way to crush him yet again while he's in their clutches and unable to flee. Giving him house arrest in a prison hospital was all part of the original plan (and hardly a gift). But the people who don't like Thaksin have not stopped disliking him. MF and PT are D.O.A., and the legacy elite power structure is just letting you know (who's really in control)... and it ain't Thaksin.

Still....most don't have the aptitude to really understand what's going on. 

Same as it ever was.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Will there ever be a time when the Thai government ISN'T trying to lock one of its opponents up?  Not only do they insult the intelligence of the Thai people with their antics - they make themselves a laughing stock abroad.  I doubt many of them are 'squeaky clean' - a team of independent auditors looking into public infrastucure project finances for example, would probably land most of them in jail.  'People who live in glass houses'..........and all that.

This Thaksin saga has gone on long enough, he ain't going to jail - just cut the c%*p and do something about the real issues affecting the country - like road deaths and air quality!!!!

Also, more bad reporting on AN - first story says 'has now been charged', second story says 'hit with charges' in the title then 'facing charges'in the text - which is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

First put every military person who was involved in a coup behind bars. Then and only then can anyone spout political fueled hatred against any and all duely elected PM. A Coup is the highest crime any soldier can commit and until those who participate in a coup recieve just punishment the cycle will never stop.

It's not a coup when given the nod and acceptance from the top. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, BritScot said:

First put every military person who was involved in a coup behind bars. Then and only then can anyone spout political fueled hatred against any and all duely elected PM. A Coup is the highest crime any soldier can commit and until those who participate in a coup recieve just punishment the cycle will never stop.

Elected? Yes. Corrupt? Yes.  Saying he should be behind bars is not "politically fueled hatred." It was his sentence. Imprisonment. A sentence which has not and will not be carried out. Not one day in a prison cell to which he was sentenced. As for Prayut and the rest of the dinasaurs I could really, really, really sprout some "politically fueled hatred." As for just punishment let's not forget where we are. The just in just punishment stands for justice. TIT. Many as we know are above this. Untouchable. 

image.jpeg.f556c49ce871b0775ded9d0ce3012510.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Pure and utter deflection. He should be in a jail cell a place he never was and never will be. 

THis is how the ruling elite get rid of people they don't agree with - just keep throwing spurious charges at them which keeps them out of power....no need to assassinate or imprison one of their own

9 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THis is how the ruling elite get rid of people they don't agree with - just keep throwing spurious charges at them which keeps them out of power....no need to assassinate or imprison one of their own

Soft coup. Only way to change to system now is to overthrow it. Paradoxically this Contitutional Court ruling may lead to what they say they are trying to stop and what they accuse the MFP of doing. Of course MFP only wanted to modify 112 not overthrow the constitutional monarchy.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Soft coup. Only way to change to system now is to overthrow it. Paradoxically this Contitutional Court ruling may lead to what they say they are trying to stop and what they accuse the MFP of doing. Of course MFP only wanted to modify 112 not overthrow the constitutional monarchy.

do you remember Taksin bailing someone out a few years back? Maybe that will help?