Three weeks of Songkran celebrations begin April 1st

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

I don’t really understand what this means in real terms - does this actually mean that for three weeks I run the gauntlet of someone chucking a bucket of water over me as I go to work? I get it for a couple of days but surely this doesn’t meant water throwing for three weeks? 

My sense, reading the various proposals spouted by Thai "officials" is that in response to being granted some UNESCO designation for the cultural aspects of Songkhran, Thailand has decided to celebrate World Songkhran Festival over an extended period, with small events in many provinces. This is over and above the usual Songkran festivities 13-15 April.

It's an experiment to squeeze tourist (domestic and international) cash.

• Like 2

My 1st year in Chiang Mai and I thought this was fun, the second year.... not so much. 

It was a down hill spiral after that.  Either stock up the fridge and stay home or spend the day sitting inside a pub somewhere. 

I did have a good Songkran in Pattaya many years ago, sitting in a corner bar not far from Dynasty Inn.  Met a few other expats there and we all had a great time. 

Not so good trying to return to BKK tho.  Took an hour just to clear Pattaya township. Luckily I was in a taxi and not on a bike. 

3 Days of water fights are more than enough. And agree it's mainly for the younger folk these days. 

• Like 2

I'm relieved I don't need to renew my visa every year any more. It used to expire on May 2nd, which meant the renewal process was just in the middle of Songkran when everything was closed and/or dysfunctional.

I think it's time for Thai calendars to invert their colour-coding to emphasize the few working days between holidays.

It's interesting how the Thais always consider that if a 3-day event is good for the economy, extending  it to 30-days will bring 10 times the money.

Edited by JackGats
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

The best place to be in the Kingdom during Songkran is Chiang Mai. It's really fun there, almost a carnival.

and choke on the smog. spent 7 years in Chiang Mai and going back during the pollution peak months seems ludicrous.  Do you live in Chiang Mai and know the PM 2.5 numbers the first 2 weeks of April? I had to waste a few days recovering in a hospital 10 years ago after a fun Songkran day and the hospital was full  with people hacking and spatting - disgusting experience.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

3 weeks of public holiday ?

3 weeks of water madness ?

I wonder if government put any thought into it

You are one of several commenting on this thread who are confusing the word 'celebration' with the word 'holiday'. There has been no mention of a three-week holiday, nor of three weeks of water madness. Even the morons who spend many hours a day throwing water over strangers are tired of it after two or three days. It certainly won't go on for three weeks.

Of course, we are not told what the three weeks of celebration actually entail. Such announcements are often short of detail, so everyone is left to make their own conclusions. But I'm sure it won't include what you suggest. Relax.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whoopee! Just the news I've been waiting for.....not!!!

Seems to go on forever in Pattaya anyway, so don't suppose we'll notice much difference here. Just another case of Thais kicking the aris out of things. 

.....and before the usual suspects wade in, no I'm not going back to my own country. The wife wouldn't let me and I actually like it here most of the time. Something to do with the weather.

I found it interesting, and completely staying in character, that the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Intergovernmental Committee ( https://ich.unesco.org/en/decisions/18.COM/8.B.10 ) was presented information about the whys and wherefores Songkran should be considered as worthy of safeguarding, included information about how it is practiced among diverse groups including ethnic groups across Thailand and thus is good for the local communities and nationally, promoting better dialog, etc... They failed to mention how it could also promote better dialog and understanding between the communities of their region of the world, which I thought strange since we're talking about the UNITED Nations here.... Since it is a tradition largely derived from India, even the name "Songkran" coming from the Sanskrit language, not to mention the practices also obviously derived from that of practices from the Indian tradition. And also, since it is practiced in similar ways by 8 or so different countries surrounding them. So, they share a tradition in common. Isn't that wonderful!? Shouldn't that be a great thing to mention in the nomination? Something that can foster better relations among these nations who are so often at each other's throats in other ways?
Somehow, it seemed more important that it be deemed a Thai-centric tradition.
For some odd reason, that wasn't surprising. I was almost surprised the whole idea of "Thainess" didn't come up in the nomination.
I suppose if promoted otherwise, as a remarkable transnational custom, some tourism cash might flow to other countries if people thought to see different variations of the tradition rather than thinking how amazing Thailand is to have such a unique tradition.... But nah! Nobody would ever be so pompous and self-centered as to think such a thing and avoid promoting it as a great melding of cultures across borders. Just coincidence, I'm sure.

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, it is what it is said:

statistically, the average number of road traffic deaths and injuries during songkran is consistent with the average for the numbers during the rest of the year. it's media hype that feeds the 'deadly days' myth.

That is not true. In 2020 during the first 3 months of covid, Thailand was about the only country in the world where excess mortality decreased. The reduction due to the cancellation of Songkran was greater than the effect of covid.

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

. Even the morons who spend many hours a day throwing water over strangers are tired of it after two or three days. It certainly won't go on for three weeks.

You obviously haven't spent a Songkran in Pattaya.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are one of several commenting on this thread who are confusing the word 'celebration' with the word 'holiday'. There has been no mention of a three-week holiday, nor of three weeks of water madness. Even the morons who spend many hours a day throwing water over strangers are tired of it after two or three days. It certainly won't go on for three weeks.

Of course, we are not told what the three weeks of celebration actually entail. Such announcements are often short of detail, so everyone is left to make their own conclusions. But I'm sure it won't include what you suggest. Relax.:smile:

You are one of those  commenting who clearly has no understanding of Thailand or native way of thinking .

But please don’t let that stop you from expressing your expert opinion 👍

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, bbko said:

Queue the standard "I hate Songkran" posts, 555.

Indeed, typically the staid boomer mindset. Normally stay away from these kind of threads because it always ends up with the same negative tripe... they just cannot stand to see normal people having fun. Quite sad really. Just hope I don't end up like that in my dotage.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BestB said:

You are one of those  commenting who clearly has no understanding of Thailand or native way of thinking .

But please don’t let that stop you from expressing your expert opinion 👍

You are one of those commentating who clearly has no understanding of me. I've been here nearly 30 years, living half of that in Bangkok and half in a village. So I think I understand Thailand pretty well and the native way of thinking. Up to a point of course, as their thinking often lacks any logic.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 weeks of Songran festival. You've got to be joking.

How can the general population sustain 3 weeks off work.

A discussion last night at a LARGE expat bar indicated that they'll be 1000,'s heading overseas for 3 weeks. 2 days is enough hiding at home.

Its only yhe non compis mentis that participate in this rubbish. Its also very dangerous for motorbike riders. A serious rethink needed here

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

The best place to be in the Kingdom during Songkran is Chiang Mai. It's really fun there, almost a carnival.

For example, the fun of destroying someone's hearing and attempting to crash his motorbike:

image.png.623903c5591fd16af691ed01d45f1bd1.png

Fun in Chiang Mai! Hee hee

14 minutes ago, lazj58 said:

3 weeks of Songran festival. You've got to be joking.

How can the general population sustain 3 weeks off work.

A discussion last night at a LARGE expat bar indicated that they'll be 1000,'s heading overseas for 3 weeks. 2 days is enough hiding at home.

Its only yhe non compis mentis that participate in this rubbish. Its also very dangerous for motorbike riders. A serious rethink needed here

It’s all about bringing more tourist in to spend money … 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

as well as boosting tourism

It will certainly boost it in nearby countries like the Philippines, as thousands of expats flee this extended water madness in Thailand.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

"oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday" as the song goes 

So once the Thais have got bored with it by April the 4th or 5th what will actually happen on the 12th, 13th and 14th ?  how exactly do they intend to keep the party going ?   Will tourists be required to throw water amongst them selves ?   

What will the "i'm locking the gate and staying in the house with a couple of boxes of chang" brigade do this year?  buy more Chang I guess :burp:

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, lazj58 said:

A discussion last night at a LARGE expat bar indicated that they'll be 1000,'s heading overseas for 3 weeks.

Are there really "ex pat" bars so LARGE with 1000's of customers.  The conversation must be riveting   Why do they bother ?