Microwave oven working but not heating - owner's responsibility?

bbi1

Microwave oven working but not heating, not sure what the problem is. I would presume it's the owner's responsibility to fix this? You would think that the microwave was in a working state when the tenant moved in, so it should be the landlord's responsibility, but judging on past responses I'm guessing that people here will say it's the tenant's responsibility and go and fix it yourself?

Edited by bbi1

Contact your landlord and see what he/she says.

In the worst case scenario, nowadays microwaves are inexpensive and good quality, it might be worth your time to invest in one if you're denied.

• Like 2

Even if you do pay to have it replaced, discuss it with the landlord first.  Otherwise you may get a double whammy when they charge you for the binned microwave when you leave.

But I wouldn't get too upset about forking over $100 or so for a new microwave if it comes to that.  Life's too short to waste it on stress.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Microwave oven working but not heating, not sure what the problem is. I would presume it's the owner's responsibility to fix this? You would think that the microwave was in a working state when the tenant moved in, so it should be the landlord's responsibility, but judging on past responses I'm guessing that people here will say it's the tenant's responsibility and go and fix it yourself?

"...I'm guessing that people here will say it's the tenant's responsibility...".

It's irrelevant what people here say, just ask your landlord.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Even if you do pay to have it fixed, discuss it with the landlord first.  Otherwise you may get a double whammy when they charge you for the binned microwave when you leave.

But I wouldn't get too upset about forking over $100 or so for a new microwave if it comes to that.  Life's too short to waste it on stress.

I wouldn't be paying to fix the microwave, as I'm not really using it much, I'm not going to be staying here for more than a couple of months, and in the West it's the landlord's responsibility to fix something broken, especially any appliances not working. Seems to be different here in Thailand with some landlords, but I will ask them to fix the microwave and see what they say.

21 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I wouldn't be paying to fix the microwave, as I'm not really using it much, I'm not going to be staying here for more than a couple of months, and in the West it's the landlord's responsibility to fix something broken, especially any appliances not working. Seems to be different here in Thailand with some landlords, but I will ask them to fix the microwave and see what they say.

Yeah, I changed my post to "replace" instead of fix.  Microwaves nowadays are so cheap.  And if you did fix it, you would still have the one on the inventory list when you leave.

In my apartment in Bangkok, I had great luck with the landlord taking care of all the stuff that belonged to them.  They never batted an eye when I reported something out of order.  They fixed both A/C's and replaced a refrigerator during my tenure, along with a shower water heater.    I lived in my apartment for 5+ years.  In fact, after I had my bypass, they even offered to move me to the ground floor for free so I wouldn't have to climb to the 5th floor.  But I wanted the exercise. 

Not all Thai landlords are bad...  But your mileage may vary depending on your situation.

Edit:  As I recall, most of the leases I've had over the years specify an amount that would have to be paid by me before they'd start paying for repairs.  Usually around $50 and mostly so tenants aren't pestering them every day for light bulbs and other piddly stuff.  (And so tenants don't deliberately break stuff to get a new one)  But I don't recall if that was in my Bangkok lease.  You may want to check yours.

Edited by impulse

No harm in asking, worst case they say no. Gives you a head start on looking for a new unit and they lose a month or two looking for a new tenant along with a possible broker fee of one month.

Edited by JimTripper

17 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Contact the owner and report the broken microwave. Ask him if he would like you to buy a replacement and deduct the cost from next month's rent. 

Last resort. Who needs it working the most? You or him.

Edited by VocalNeal

25 minutes ago, retarius said:

If it is not heating, it os not working by definition. An over that doesn't heat is not a working oven.

And a keyboard which does not put the correct letters is not a working keyboard.  555

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I would have thought that the tenant would have confirmed in writing whose responsibility was whose before signing the lease. 

Then if there is a problem with the microwave both would know who has to pay for the repair/replacement.

At this point the landlord can say that it was working when he tested it. If it is not working now it is the tenants problem.

one way around it, would be for the tenant to buy a new microwave, keep the old one and take the new one when he leaves.

Exactly. Should be a part of your contract, whoever has to pay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

If it is not heating, it os not working by definition. An over that doesn't heat is not a working oven.

A microwave is not an oven by definition.  Poster clearly stated microwave worked.  

Suspect best to contact owner and ask them what to do - improper work on a microwave could become a health (burn you) issue.  As said it could be just a fuse wire inside - but taking apart by untrained is not advised.

2 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Checked my lease. Yes, there is a microwave stated in the lease for my room.

OK then landlord has an obligation to repair or replace.

If he seems reluctant to do so, offer to purchase a new one yourself and deduct cost from following month's rent (providing him the receipt of course -- and get this agreement in writing in some form, even if just an email exchange). In that scenario the new one would belong to landlord.

I would not however get involved in trying to repair it as you could be blamed if the repair goes badly. If landlord wants to try repair have him take it or at least specify the choice of mechanic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OP didn't you ask about a bad bum gun? Now a broken microwave?  How much is the rent at this place where things are breaking down on a weekly basis?

• Love It 1

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

OP didn't you ask about a bad bum gun? Now a broken microwave?  How much is the rent at this place where things are breaking down on a weekly basis?

2500 a month ... near the klong in shanty town area.

• Haha 1

Having repaired a couple of microwaves that were thrown out and not fixed a third. 
The problems were 1) a bulb that burned out 2) a blown glass encased fuse 3) something more serious Thai I didn’t spend much time on as it was free

No 1 & 2 functioned perfectly for about 15 years.

Time taken, about 15 minutes for each, it’s worth 10 minutes of your time to check.

• Thanks 1

There's no point repairing a microwave - easier to replace. Yes, it is the owner's responsibility and they will have to do it when you move out anyway. The microwave at my condo broke down, but I got tired of waiting for the fix and just bought one on Lazada, I think it was 1500 baht or so - which I would gladly pay to not have to deal with service people coming over here and waking me up - let the owner deal with that bs after I move out.

On 2/12/2024 at 4:55 PM, bbi1 said:

So you own significant value elsewhere, yet complain about microwave repairs? LoL 

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/12/2024 at 1:09 PM, billd766 said:

one way around it, would be for the tenant to buy a new microwave, keep the old one and take the new one when he leaves.

I am in the same position as OP and plan to do what you wrote.

I am still wondering whether I should go to the Samsung Service Center and see whether it can cheaply be fixed. 

After reading from 2 posters that repair may be easy, I will try this. 

PS in my home country I recently threw away a very good professional microwave for restaurants made in Germany,  because everybody told me to just buy a new one. Problem was the same as in OP.

The new one was a shoddy piece of plastic made in China. 

I really should follow AN more diligently :)

Edited by Lorry

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I am in the same position as OP and plan to do what you wrote.

I am still wondering whether I should go to the Samsung Service Center and see whether it can cheaply be fixed. 

After reading from 2 posters that repair may be easy, I will try this. 

PS in my home country I recently threw away a very good professional microwave for restaurants made in Germany,  because everybody told me to just buy a new one. Problem was the same as in OP.

The new one was a shoddy piece of plastic made in China. 

I really should follow AN more diligently :)

they're only 2k, all that hassle for repair that may not work anyway

10 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

they're only 2k

That was my thinking too, when I threw my microwave away in my home country. 

Turned out the new one (cheapest I could find,  2.4k) was a shoddy piece of plastic from China. 

It gets stuff lukewarm, that's good enough for me.

The one I threw away was in  the price range of 15k up.

After this experience and reading AN, today I had my microwave fixed.

Fuse and condenser replaced, 957 THB.

BigC sells new ones from Toshiba for 1790, they are not bad.

The one I have sells second-hand for 2000.