New Govt Tourist Insurance to Cover Deaths and Accidents

webfact

I don't think they have used actuaries in calculating and budgeting that amount. 1.5 baht per tourist? That 50m baht pot will last long.

Policies often contain an "Other Insurance" clause, stating that the travel policy will only pay in excess of other insurance that might be in place. This includes Government pools and schemes. If the Government call this scheme "insurance" there could be some issues in claiming on travel insurance; you can't claim twice for the same incident.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The government studied how much money they've paid to help tourists in the past.  They feel confident that they have enough for now.

Well that's definitely the way to manage a country. Being someone who never traveled without a robust insurance I just don't get why the Thai taxpayer should foot the bill for idiot foreign tourists.

1 hour ago, NemoH said:

Asian tourists just stay a few days n go home whereas western tourist stay in for months. The western tourists should buy local insurance 

I've actually asked several expats who have 'local' insurance but they say they've not heard of any where a one month 'tourist' can actually buy the same insurance for just one month.

Whilst i have 'farang' travel insurance i still don't trust them so would gladly pay a local company for one month....i believe thai companies also pay up front for any treatment needed.

6 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:

I've actually asked several expats who have 'local' insurance but they say they've not heard of any where a one month 'tourist' can actually buy the same insurance for just one month.

Whilst i have 'farang' travel insurance i still don't trust them so would gladly pay a local company for one month....i believe thai companies also pay up front for any treatment needed.

I think he means buy travel insurance from their own country, not local as in Thailand as that isn't generally available.

1 hour ago, jippytum said:

50 million baht budget for one year is a very small budget.  Many insurance companies in Thailand offering health coveragen lost billions during covid some going bankrupt. I know this is for tourist visa holders but go fund me requests for help in Thailand are usually for massive hospital bills following accidents.  

1) Yes, it is not a lot

2) The ones that went bankrupt were mostly/exclusively the ones offering the completely braindead and greedy COVID insurance for THB 1,000 with a THB 100,000 cash payout for a positive test not linked to any related health issues or actual medical costs. You may even remember a brief social media fad of people licking handles and sticking things in their mouth/nose to get infected and their payout. These companies were a bunch of complete idiots, as were the insurance regulators who gave their approval to such policies.

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

Taxpayers elsewhere do exactly the same.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but considering the amount of money tourists spend, in Thailand, the government can well and truly cover medical costs. Fact, all goods purchased by tourists carries a tax.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I don't really understand tourists reluctance to have travel insurance. This scheme goes some way to covering this. But what about riding a motorcycle with no driving license or not wearing a helmet....is that excluded, as are visa exempt tourists excluded? I took out travel insurance yesterday for a 3 week trip to the US (where healthcare is madly expensive.....total cost less than $100). Why on earth don't these creeps buy it or stay away? 

Really? I took out a comprehensive policy last year with an extra motorbike coverage which cost me $500 Australian for 30 days in Thailand. This is at least two times more expensive than pre-covid. I could have got cheaper, but not much more so. You got a very cheap policy. For me, travel insurance is now a significant cost in any trip OS. It's getting ridiculously expensive.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Thailand survives on tourism so mending a few stupid idiots who arrive with no insurance is a drop in the bucket

Well, you have the first part correct but....let the boofheads sort out their own problems.

Why should Thailand foot the bill?

These wankers are well aware of what can happen and what the consequences are for not being covered and not following the law.

Too much of this bs goes on now as it is.

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

You have to be in Thailand with a tourist visa to use this plan.' 

There seem to be TWO  different versions in the opening two news reports above of what is actually required to be eligible under this scheme, with very different implications.

The first is the one you quoted above -- have to have a tourist visa, which excludes a lot of tourists who come via other means,  including visa exempt.

And then the other, second news report above has the following broader definition:

"They must be visiting Thailand with a tourist visa or for tourism purposes."

I have no idea which version is the actual one the Thai government plans to follow with this. But there's a pretty big difference between those two different versions.

• Like 1

Tourists qualify for coverage if the incidents are not due to their negligence, intention for illegal activity, or risky behaviour.

I wonder how this new tourist insurance scheme is going to classify the constantly occurring tourist hotel/condo balcony falls?

Covered, or, excluded risky behavior?

Same with riding/traveling on Thai island speed boats?

Covered or excluded risky behavior?

It would be interesting in the coming year/years to find out, if we ever do, what kinds of cases were accepted for coverage vs. what kinds of ones were denied/rejected.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Spock said:

Really? I took out a comprehensive policy last year with an extra motorbike coverage which cost me $500 Australian for 30 days in Thailand. This is at least two times more expensive than pre-covid. I could have got cheaper, but not much more so. You got a very cheap policy. For me, travel insurance is now a significant cost in any trip OS. It's getting ridiculously expensive.

I'm going the other way, buying it here for a trip to the US. I haven't got any motorcycle coverage. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dibbler said:

The government was thinking about charging tourists a special fee to help pay for this insurance, but they've decided to wait a while. For now, they will usegovernment money to help tourists in need.”

Wow, so people who pay tax in Thailand are to foot the medical bills for random tourists who hurt themselves. Knowing this hospitals are free to charge what they want for the misadventures of a few who should have taken out travel insurance. Amazing Thailand indeed!

The government has been taxing all flights with a fee for medical help for years.
You used to have to pay at a kiosk at the airport, but they added it to ticket prices.
So nom the tax payers should not be paying as the government has the money already, but...........

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mean, is not a bad idea. Albeit limited... Tourist (visa) only and if not breaking the law (helmet law, traffic/maritime law, etc.). What they should do... When you look at who is being hurt and dieing... It's mostly those engraged in adventure activities (motorcycles, boating, etc.)... Just require the outfitters to make all foreigners buy supplemental insurance at the POS (non waivable). Like when you rent a car, but without the ability to take a waiver. Then your risk reduction is properly focused, and the pool of payees captive. Given the numbers (total payees vs payouts), insurance underwriters could make a bundle, and you only make those most at risk pay-in. Just a thought. 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're saying that "international human rights" dictates that tourists killed or injured, anywhere in the world, have medical costs covered (up to a certain amount) and compensation mandated by international law?    Could you be more specific with that claim and, perhaps, show something to back it up?

Thanks LL, for asking. If true then someone is in violation for some time.