Thai retirement funds cannot be touched under any circumstances.

26 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This is wrong as it says you must have INCOME of 65k, where really you must TRANSFER 65k monthly. And then says also 800/400k in the bank. It is one or the other.

Sorry but that is a picture of the translated police order. Not my wording. (Full order below)

There is the word ‘or’ between 3 and 4

Immigration wants to see the monthly transfer, as proof of that income.

IMG_2131.jpeg

IMG_2132.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, G_Money said:

You are correct.  It’s ridiculous to me.

What not to do:

Burn your bridges back home by eliminating your property and bank accounts.

Moving to Thailand while still having to work.  Doing what?  Working dead end jobs as a bar manager, “influencer”, blogger and then a Go Fund Me guru.

Wasting away ones most productive years just to “Live the Dream”.

Just look at the recent thread that mentioned the Aussie that’s looking for handouts to save his bar.

BTW, I live here.  But wouldn’t/couldn't if I had to work here to support myself.  Which is why I waited until I could live here independently.

Work and invest in the west.  Spend in Thailand.

I like your train of thought... 

About 5 years ago I was living here reasonably happy on a retirement visa. 

I buggered off back to NZ to earn more cash.  Now I'm back but it seems that even now I still need more funds. 

I'll probably end up using an agent to get retirement visa again but are seriously looking at employment in the mines in Western Australia. 

5 years working there will definitely set me up for 'retirement'..... 

Till that money runs out! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually the requirement is income of 65k per month and such a letter from your Consulate is the normal proof.  New alternative (as several of largest nations no longer issue letter) is proof of 65k per month transferred into a Thai bank account.

Yes I know that, but the translation quoted led to believe both were needed, which is not.

I am very fortunate that my Imm Office will accept the Combination Method, where as long as transfers and bank money add up to over Bht 800k, it is OK. I did 40k per month with 420k in the bank for two years, but now just 35k per month = 420k with a similar sum in the bank, suits me fine.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Unless you forget to do it on the exact dates needed which seems like a chore each and every month.

What dates are these?  I’ve never heard of this.

I normally send between the 2nd and 5th of every month with the occasional supplement later in the month because transfers now take longer for some reason.  Never had an issue about when I transferred money.

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Seems like a hassle but I guess it could work. Probably easier to just keep the minimum funds in there and forget it.

Actually Wise allows automatic transfers on a set date each month (next work day if weekend) and have been using for a year or two.  Nothing to remember as I scheduled the transfers several days after retirement payment is made into source account.  Get 2 day advance notice in case want to cancel the transfer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I like your train of thought... 

About 5 years ago I was living here reasonably happy on a retirement visa. 

I buggered off back to NZ to earn more cash.  Now I'm back but it seems that even now I still need more funds. 

I'll probably end up using an agent to get retirement visa again but are seriously looking at employment in the mines in Western Australia. 

5 years working there will definitely set me up for 'retirement'..... 

Till that money runs out! 

Don’t know your age or physical condition but I would think 5 years in a mine would be hard on the body despite watching Crocodile Dundee.  Most seem to be a hardy bunch.

Especially assuming you’re over 50 as you stated you had a previous retirement visa.

Was unaware that a kiwi could work in Oz but I suppose you’re part of the same empire.  

Forgive my ignorance on this matter.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

That's what I'd be worried about. 🙂 

Better I stick it on fixed deposit where I can't get my sticky fingers on it. 

Except for the extension the money needs to be in an account to which you have instant access (even if that means losing interest or a penalty).

13 hours ago, G_Money said:

Why anyone uses this ridiculous method is beyond me.

I happily pay the monthly transfer fees to send the monthly requirement (and more) amount needed for a retirement extension.  Currently the minimum is 65,000 baht per month.  

Sent via WISE using “Long term stay in Thailand “. so the funds show as coming from abroad.

I can use my money whenever and for whatever reasons I want.

I used the 800,0000 method because it was easy and I could easily afford it. It was a case of deposit and forget. Seven years ago I had never done international wire transfers. The idea of having to move money every month seemed like a chore. My transfers never showed up in my Thai bank account labeled FFT so there was having to trace the origin of the money, another chore. It was only a couple of years later that I had heard about TransferWise. A couple of years ago I tried setting up a Wise account. It was a disaster. Wise wasn’t any help sorting it out. I don’t trust them with my money (no matter how many rabid Wise fans are out there). It doesn’t matter now. I got an LTR vise which relieved me of any bank deposit requirements.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Rules are rules, if you need the money for medical care then you'll need to use an agent for a year or two until compliant with the rules again, same with me

But using an agent is against the 'rules' 😄

• Haha 1