Thai Govt Implements Measures to Combat Illegal Burning and Improve Air Quality

webfact

https://www.iqair.com/th-en/thailand

To put it simply, the main offending factors involving Thailand (that are not entirely unique to this country but rather something that many countries around the world and in the regions share or suffer from) are the exhaust fumes from traffic, in particular older buses and trucks that still flood the roads countrywide and permeate the atmosphere with their polluting and heavily outdated engines.

On to the next offending phenomena, construction work is another culprit. Building sites use heavy machinery that runs on fossil fuels, emitting their own heavy amount of pollution and smoke, and the materials used in construction can produce a variety of different fine particulate matter with many that have toxic effects on our health, as well as industrial runoff that can find its way into the ecosystem via waterways or numerous other means.

Screenshot_20240217_085937_Firefox.jpg

5 hours ago, webfact said:

engage communities to halt illegal agricultural burning.

They still carry on burning (sugar cane at the moment) up in our village and nobody says anything even though they hate it. My wife is constantly cleaning up "black snow" in the mornings as its floated down onto our land. You can't leave anything outside or it's ruined. This is this mornings present. 🤨

received_883621426897251.jpeg.4ac23cfeeaec162961e2ee11c70b8a48.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

Air quality in Chiang Mai these days much better than in previous years at this time. Just a a slight haze above the horizon. Blue skies above. High season auto polution is my guess.

its quite remarkable actually imho. 

1 hour ago, rwill said:

I had a Thai person tell me one time they had to burn leaves in Thailand because they don't decomposed here like they do in other countries.

... 555, yes, heard same BS in the past, genetically conditioned arsonists that lot ...

I mean there may be like 3 months up north where it can indeed get too dry for any rottin' and I for example now have to water the compost heap - but basically that's equating freezing winter months elsewhere so actually up here it all would rot just like in other countries - if they would only let it ...

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Anutin is utterly useless... find someone who can do the job.

I've been saying that for years! The man is only interested in promoting his own agenda (Cannabis Farms?) and getting his "picture in the papers"

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

TIT

Doesn't matter who is Interior Secretary.  Just like it doesn't matter who is USA President.

Who is going to stand up to the Big Boys who really run things and control all industry and agriculture.

Edited by LALes
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Excellent!  You understand it, the farmers understand it, why doesnt the government?

I know it all comes back to dollars and cents but it is a shame that subsidised cooperatives cant be organised to turn all the agricultural waste, such as sugar cane and corn waste, into mulch or compost to feed back into the land which badly needs organic matter.  Nearly everything is burned with almost nothing going back ino the soil.  The result would be much cleaner air and increased farm production.

They are bailing the sugar cane leaves and selling it here probably as bio fuel 

35 minutes ago, retarius said:

Time to buy air purifiers for all your room I suppose. 

Would be easier if they just started producing aircon units doing the same job at once. To be honest, i think the aircons already filters half or more in the first place now.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Would be easier if they just started producing aircon units doing the same job at once. To be honest, i think the aircons already filters half or more in the first place now.

I agree. The air purifiers we bought last week have a PM 2.5 meter installed. Our air quality reads "good" whether even with the windows open, and the meters show zero particles after about an hour of running. 

1 minute ago, retarius said:

I agree. The air purifiers we bought last week have a PM 2.5 meter installed. Our air quality reads "good" whether even with the windows open, and the meters show zero particles after about an hour of running. 

The thing I had would be running like crazy, but if I just run AC with the windows and doors closed a while, the air quality is actually already normal without purifier. I seen on facebook some people that can install the air purifier as a system into the wall, can also do much more capacity, like 1 system for the entire condo or house. 

If i would own a place, i would have just installed that. Solves everything and no noise.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Kanchanaburi this past week was terrible 😡

Screenshot_20240217_113108_Facebook.jpg.dd4a6559e45607c14380eef4f09f14c7.jpg

Man, that is India/China level of hideous.  It looks like you have the same meter I have.  Smart Mi for 1,200 baht.

A friend tried to get one at the Xiao Mi store at Central Pattaya.  They told him it was discontinued.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Governors were instructed to conduct field inspections and engage communities to halt illegal agricultural burning.

Same rhetoric year in, year out, yet we still see all the fields go up in smoke while they line their pockets and we breath in the smoke.

Coughing GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Anutin is utterly useless... find someone who can do the job.

I am so pleased he 'disclosed' this information. He could have kept it secret and left us thinking Mother Nature had stepped in and brought pure, fresh air overnight.  😋

• Like 1

Mitrphol, one of Thailand's largest sugar producers, farm thousands of hectares of cane in NE Australia, on plantations as flat and smooth as a billiard table, staffed by a handful of men,  and harvested by huge GPS guided machines.

(As shown to me proudly  by one of their senior men on his iPad.)

There is NO BURNING. Excess foliage and crushed pulp go into biomass fuels....which airlines, such as QANTAS are incorporating into their supplies..

Sugar cane used to be burned, in situ, decades ago, but not any more.

So Big Agra can do it when they want/need to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1