Thai police officers face bankruptcy with debt over 300 billion baht

webfact

2 hours ago, transam said:

Too easy to borrow, it is expected.......:coffee1:

Street fines due to rise... I've never seen  poor policeman in Thailand.

Possibly with the exception of new recruits who are at the bottom of the ladder.

It seems the RTP mirror real life, billionaires at the top and poor at the bottom.

What is the starting salary of a Thai Police Officer?  My guess it is rather low.  I believe there is a connection between low pay, large debt and yes corruption.  I recall when I started in Los Angeles we were told about the massive corruption and on duty crimes committed by officers in Miami where starting pay was about $18,000 per year. I once went to New Orleans back in the 1990's and saw a uniformed police officer sitting at the front desk of the hotel where I was staying.  This officer had to work a second job because his pay was $17,500 per year.  

A start might be to consider increasing the pay of Thai Police Officers?  Of course even wtih higher pay some will be corrupt and some will get into high debt.  I knew a fellow officer who was making over $100K per year but was broke most of the time.   Of course the three ex-wives did not help. 

3 hours ago, LudwigK said:

WHY do the banks and car companies let them get into so much debt??  And all Thais??

Because the banks and car companies just care about making money!  When my niece graduated from the university a few years ago, and having no credit history whatsoever, her bank issued her a credit card with a credit limit of 3 times her yearly salary. Go figure!

• Confused 1

Ultimately the responsibilty lies with the borrower, but responsibilty is a  dirty word in many countries  now especially Thailand.

I treat all their  rules as a  joke knowing  full well the scale of the corruption here and  do my best not to pay into their various money wrenches inc their " new"  tax  rules.

Im not  funding irresponsible peoples bad  choices.

• Agree 1

During COVID the division of fines that supplemented the pay of Immigration Police dried up. They start on as low as 8000 baht. 

Whilst the pay is once again being supplemented it is nowhere near the level it was before.

Most honest Imm Police officers at the lower end hardly make enough to pay their fares to work, and have to have second jobs or high earning spouses. The free family medical cover is all that makes it worthwhile.

Spitting distance from rawai temple is a police block of flats, there cars look very nice. They are never around when it rains, nor school holidays when the 10 to 14 year olds decide it's OK to ride parents scooters on the road. At chalong circle although it's a thai country it looks to me more foreigners get booked than thai for no helmets, insurance etc. I had one police on scooter pull up next to me cos yes no helmet,  so I said OFF and pointed to 2 thai on a scooter in front of me so they should be first to be booked, he drove off, THAT JUST SAYS IT ALL.

Maybe if all the bonuses for captured goods and property including cash was dealt out fairly instead of going the top tier only... [Joe Ferrari comes to mind].. maybe there wouldn't be poverty at the bottom end.

• Agree 1

So the police have been ignoring the accounting figures for some while, and are now in the sh-t. But their not finished yet. They are now demanding free accommodation in order to carry on policing, when not scamming of coarse.  The whole system is in need of a total rethink, which aint going to happen.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

Tip of the iceberg.  The Thai government and central bank keep sweeping this under the rug, but the average Thai is in hock up to their eyeballs - it isn't just police.

No, not just the police. Any government employee get all kind of perks when it comes to borrowing money. The government encourages debt to its employees. The last I read not so long ago, was that teachers were up to their necks in massive amounts of debt. One has to wonder why the baht is kept so artificially high, what government debt is that hiding?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Now do Teachers.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-teachers-accumulate-combined-debts-of-1-4-trillion/

300 Billion, pfft. Rookies.

Teachers up to 1.4 TRILLION.

My now wife is a teacher. When I first met her she had a bike loan, student debt, credit card, a personal loan and was the guarantor for a fellow teacher who had bolted. She had been married and when divorced her ex kept the house,  leaving her with nothing.Her position is just so common here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Street fines due to rise... I've never seen  poor policeman in Thailand.

Possibly with the exception of new recruits who are at the bottom of the ladder.

It seems the RTP mirror real life, billionaires at the top and poor at the bottom.

Our lad is a sergeant cop, so I actually know all about salary, loans and debt....😉

• Like 1

and there is a shortage of them?  but they hardly want to do their job...even in some rape cases involving minors... if the people don't go outcry to the public or some advocacy group, they just sit on their asses and taking bribes....  how many police generals etc, do they have for how many lower ranks

when I go to Samut Prakarn immigration, also police, right... 15 counters and maybe 2 or 3 are actively serving people, the rest is playing phone, taking 20th brake of the day, etc...

if there is really a shortage, do something about effectivity , but that is not a word in a thai dic

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, john donson said:

and there is a shortage of them?  but they hardly want to do their job...even in some rape cases involving minors... if the people don't go outcry to the public or some advocacy group, they just sit on their asses and taking bribes....  how many police generals etc, do they have for how many lower ranks

when I go to Samut Prakarn immigration, also police, right... 15 counters and maybe 2 or 3 are actively serving people, the rest is playing phone, taking 20th brake of the day, etc...

if there is really a shortage, do something about effectivity , but that is not a word in a thai dic

I think you are exaggerating........🤗

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Must be a knock on effect from the computerisation of automatic speeding fines, etc. Tea money taking a big hit. Thai household debt is very high I believe. In our village there are always meetings and announcements that it is time to pay the government their instalment on loans, or interest will be added................cannot get blood from a stone, they borrow but do not have the concept, or the means to repay the banks.

Well, we have all seen the effects that living on debt has, Thailand a perfect example. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Yeah I don’t know I would stop by traffic cop my big bike the first time in over two years and he wants to take my license and he said to go to police station it cost 1000 or just give him 500 so I didn’t have time to go to the police station. I just gave him 500. I’m thinking the guy stopped 10 and 20 people a day they must make a pretty good income, TIT 

What debt?

Obviously not creative enough..

20190629_185632.jpg.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Our lad is a sergeant cop, so I actually know all about salary, loans and debt....😉

Be interesting to hear his factual answers to things like salary, paying for uniform, buying ammunition, little black book with exemption from prosecution payments etc.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Police General Torsak Sukvimol has indicated that a multitude of law enforcement officers across Thailand are facing impending bankruptcy due to an accumulated debt totalling around 300 billion baht. This revelation came about during his interaction with the House committee tasked with reviewing the 2024 annual budget expenditure bill.

Pol. Gen. Torsak was summoned to respond to inquiries concerning the Royal Thai Police’s (RTP) 117 billion baht budget allotment. He openly addressed the committee, revealing the dire financial straits many officers are in, with some even struggling to own a home due to their enormous debt, reported Bangkok Post.

“Regarding welfare housing, I am asking for a budget to build central flats for officers. If their living conditions improve, they will feel more motivated to serve and protect the people.”

Pol. Gen. Torsak further stressed the importance of enhancing the quality of life for police officers to inspire them to be more dedicated to maintaining peace and order.

“Every project undertaken by the RTP is accountable and transparent. If there is something suspicious, I will not sign it.”

Pol. Gen. Torsak also highlighted staffing issues caused by the Covid-19 pandemic over the past three years. He cited an instance of a police station near Bangkok, built to accommodate up to 200 officers, being understaffed by half. This shortage subsequently burdens the remaining officers, who are tasked with serving approximately 400,000 locals, including the unregistered populace.

In response to the shortage of police investigators, Pol. Gen. Torsak mentioned that several units were actively seeking solutions. He partly attributed this problem to other state agencies borrowing police investigators for their operations, resulting in a pressing need for replacements to avoid exacerbating the shortage.

Until a resolution is found, police stations have been forced to reassess staff deployment, reassigning some personnel and sending others to stations critically short of staff.

by Mitch Connor

Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

Waiting for Big Joke to back up this big joke of a sob story to justify more and bigger brown envelopes and extortion rackets for numerous police officers to 'indulge' themselves in!

Curiosity got me on this one.

I had a look at what the current monthly pay is for police officers.

It's not so bad after the first five years but it's never enough to afford a Ferrari that's for sure.

https://www.salaryexplorer.com/average-salary-wage-comparison-thailand-police-officer-c215j504

In addition to this there is free health care for a police officers family and also free education for the children.

I'm not sure about any other perks 

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Be interesting to hear his factual answers to things like salary, paying for uniform, buying ammunition, little black book with exemption from prosecution payments etc.

A lot of that is cr@p..........🤭

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Yeah I don’t know I would stop by traffic cop my big bike the first time in over two years and he wants to take my license and he said to go to police station it cost 1000 or just give him 500 so I didn’t have time to go to the police station. I just gave him 500. I’m thinking the guy stopped 10 and 20 people a day they must make a pretty good income, TIT 

next time call his bluff. tell him yes lets go station do real ticket. good chance he will not want to waste that time as he could be working others and not taking you to the station for a long bla bla bla session.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1