Tuk tuks and taxis: Bangkok’s solution to overcharging crisis

snoop1130

This article seems to have been written by Captain Mainwaring's script writer for the UK TV comedy, Dad's Army. All it needs is a bit of flag waving and shouts of 'Over the top.'😄

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Harnessing the power of artificial intelligence, the BMA will deploy an extensive network of security cameras to crack down on traffic violations

hahahah even AI couldn't keep up with this. 

• Haha 2

This week it's the over charging taxi's, Next week we will be back to no one is allow to ride in the back of a pick up a again, then come Songkran and they will do a uturn   on their decision and allow it during Songkran, then what next on the list,

AHHH let's put a tax on foreigners arriving at the airport, should be easy to collect, have less immigration open so everyone waits in line and then once you pay your tax you get assigned an immigration counter. That'll work  🤔:coffee1:

Edited by grubman
  • Confused 1

On one hand I'd ban Tuktuks from city centers as they're polluting, loud and dangerous, but on the other hand they're part of the authentic Thailand experience. 

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

encourages vigilant monitoring of illicit activities. Together, residents and tourists alike form an impenetrable frontline against exploitation.

and get stabbed or shot in the meantime ...

• Like 1

Instead of creating additional committees and new laws, why not focus on utilizing the current legal framework for enforcement? Let's prioritize the enforcement of existing laws, beginning with ensuring that motorcyclists wear helmets.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, WilliamSmits said:

in BKK areas where taxis are known not to use the meter I use grab, MuvMi (tuktuk) or Lineman

Even in MBK taxi line the first 5 taxis did not want a ride with meter.

It will not change unless all refuse these taxis and use apps

Ride apps are a good solution.

The only problem I found with using apps is that the GPS doesn't always accurately give the pickup location.

On Ramkhamheang Rd with 4 lanes and a middle divider the Grab app couldn't tell if I was on the north or the south side of the road.

More than once i have had to jog down the street to catch the Grab taxi.

Generally, I ask the fare if they aren't using the meter, and weigh the convenience of paying a premium and pay it or not.

I have learned don't go with drivers that say "up to you", at the end of the ride he probably won't accept a reasonable fare.

Can't imagine the amount of overcharge that would get me to spend time in the complaint process.

I know, "it's the principle of the thing".

Edited by cdemundo

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

it would be nice to have the helpline and complaints numbers for foreigners wishing to complain agains the taxi and tuk tuk mafia crooks.

There is one for taxis. I used it. They told me to call the tourist police. I called the tourist police and they told me to call the taxi complaint number. 'Somebody else's problem, now let me go back to sleep'.

14 minutes ago, Lenthai said:

Bolt and Grab, no issues.

In Pattaya taximeters do'not exsist.

I have had Bolt drivers say they want cash when I am already paying on my CC through the app.

They were ok when I explained that though.

Another Bolt driver messaged me before pickup that he wanted cash so I canceled as same problem, and I don't want to pay twice.

Has never happened to me with Grab.

Edited by cdemundo