Over 400 Thai firms suspected of foreign nominee operations

webfact

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

Some people will never learn.In Thailand it is often possible to structure entities that are nominally legal (there are multiple lawyers who will advise on this though they rarely mention any downside) but are nevertheless in conflict with the spirit /intention of Thai authorities.Nine times out of ten there will be no problem and the entity can operate without significant issues.The problem can come when the entity is stress tested perhaps by an unforeseen event, a hostile local business man or a tightening up of laws to better reflect intent.

A wise foreigner looks beyond lawyers advice and tries to ensure his operation reflects Thai policy as well as Thai legal niceties.

There are I should say excellent legal firms who give non partisan decent advice - but they are expensive and few in number.The foreign cowboys rarely consult them.

What do you know! A person who sounds like he knows what he's talking about! The next round is on me! Carry on. 

• Confused 1

400 is the tip of the iceberg. 400 thousand would be nearer the mark. What happened to the checks that Thai nominees had to provide and prove they provided financial support to the company. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

Some people will never learn.In Thailand it is often possible to structure entities that are nominally legal (there are multiple lawyers who will advise on this though they rarely mention any downside) but are nevertheless in conflict with the spirit /intention of Thai authorities.Nine times out of ten there will be no problem and the entity can operate without significant issues.The problem can come when the entity is stress tested perhaps by an unforeseen event, a hostile local business man or a tightening up of laws to better reflect intent.

A wise foreigner looks beyond lawyers advice and tries to ensure his operation reflects Thai policy as well as Thai legal niceties.

There are I should say excellent legal firms who give non partisan decent advice - but they are expensive and few in number.The foreign cowboys rarely consult them.

I think the 400 is missing at least one zero.

If they are serious let them go to Tik Tok and see whats going on.

Or set up a proper hotline for non Thai speakers to have their chance on finding out about legality and complaining if they been set up by "connected" whoevers.

• Agree 2

The old "crackdowns" that went a bit quiet during covid appearing again. As usual brought about by one isolated incident. I've known many people using this route ( I did myself several years ago) but not known any that have had problems. 

It is illegal but as is often the case in Thailand, a two week hit then forgotten about....until another incident makes the headlines!

• Agree 1

As far as i know the rules if a farang has a company.He must employ several thais pay tax and health insurance for them. costs alot to them,they get a work permit too.They would work in the business but the rules and thais do the work they just watch.The director or directors including a thai director too i believe,that is the requirement if u want to set up a company in thaialnd

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

The sooner Thailand follows SIngapore corporate ownership structure and allows 100% foreign ownership the better the economy will be.

Followed up by tightening of regulations to make it very difficult or impossible for foreigners to stay there, which Singapore is also doing now. Go and check how many foreigners were forced to leave the island in the past year.

1 hour ago, sabaiguy said:

Following this story one thing puzzles me (one?).  One of the issues they are going after him is the "illegal" staircase to the beach. In fact I think they have already ordered him to destroy it. Yet throughout the story they describe him as a renter.  Wouldn't the owner be responsible?

The company that built the house and the steps has already demolished the steps as reported two days ago.