Tourists capturing marine life for social media face legal action

webfact

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

No BC vests

Man I must be old school.  Never used a BC vest. Just lead weights up to my last dives in Hawaii in the 1990s.

On 3/9/2024 at 7:38 AM, Crossy said:

Incidentally it was Jacques Cousteau who, along with Émile Gagnan, invented the aqualung (forerunner of modern scuba gear) during WWII.

Why kids like me in the 1950s / early 60s wanted to dive.  Mike Nelson - Sea Hunt.

th-2973742839.jpeg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Man I must be old school.  Never used a BC vest. Just lead weights up to my last dives in Hawaii in the 1990s.

Hard to get it right just  with lead weight. 

i guess you guys made it up with skill. 

But as you dive deeper your body is compressed and it's volume changes, so does your  buoyancy.

unfortunately you can't  change you led weight to compensate, 

But you can add air or reduce air to compensate for your buoyancy changes if you have a BC vest. 

I lived in Florida  a sort drive to the keys, 60-80 ft visibility , water temperature in the 80s 

Diving in 30-40 ft where downtime is not an issue. 

With your BC vest adjust your buoyancy to neutral , and glide while rising or descending a bit by inhaling or exhaling. That's what I called nirvana. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A quick visit to the local seafood market will show the world what happened to that dead reef.

I was always gobsmacked what I could find.  And amused when I read they arrested divers for even touching the same critters you can cook for dinner.  Sold in the wide open.

• Agree 2

On 3/9/2024 at 8:24 AM, Chongalulu said:

Potential for pulmonary barotrauma and pneumothorax by not breathing out on the ascent along with decompression sickness (bends) from uncontrolled ascents. 

The air is surface supplied i.e. not compressed and therefore there will be little or no expansion upon ascent, so no worry of pulmonary barotrauma.  At the 6m they will be diving at, there will not be enough pressure for there to be a worry of a build up of nitrogen bubbles in the joints  and therefore your suggestion of possible decompression sickness i.e. the bends is rather ludicrous.  The system that they are using is called Snuba (or a variation of it), has been around for about 20 years and is quite safe for use at 6m for these exact reasons.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:25 AM, 2long said:

Idiots! Not only for damaging the reef and its inhabitants, but for endangering their own lives with this type of 'diving.' Up and down possibly with fast ascents and maybe without any training will soon see them in the chamber.

The system is known as Snuba (or a variation of this) and has been around for about 20 years.  Quite safe at 6m depth even at with fast ascents due to the air being surface supplied and not compressed.  At this depth, no risk of the bends either unless they were down there for an unimaginable time whereby hypothermia would most probably have set in first.  There should be a divemaster keeping an eye on them though. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Hard to get it right just  with lead weight. 

i guess you guys made it up with skill. 

But as you dive deeper your body is compressed and it's volume changes, so does your  buoyancy.

unfortunately you can't  change you led weight to compensate, 

But you can add air or reduce air to compensate for your buoyancy changes if you have a BC vest. 

I lived in Florida  a sort drive to the keys, 60-80 ft visibility , water temperature in the 80s 

Diving in 30-40 ft where downtime is not an issue. 

With your BC vest adjust your buoyancy to neutral , and glide while rising or descending a bit by inhaling or exhaling. That's what I called nirvana. 

It's definitely a nice feeling when you get your buoyancy just right enabling you to do this.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, connda said:

Given that state of the "reef" they should close the park completely for a decade.  Biodiversity? Where?  That's pitiful.  Just like the state of the "biodiverse" Thai forests that don't exist anymore, and for the same reasons.

S__12075096_0-1.jpg.7aba25062f2863b26e702da1bd9d8608.jpg.a2762efb35ca9a235de65f8f8cc8f60e.jpg

The diving in, pattaya,Phucket amd Koh phi phi sucks.  Hardly any fish or coral life.  This was my experience in 2016.  

These guys are doing a type of intro to diving method.   I forget what it's called but its for absolute beginners. 

23 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

take another look at those photos - that reef is completely destroyed, it's a wasteland. looks like they picked up the only thing alive and took a photo. too late to protect anything there, it's 99% dead.

I grew up in the USVI and was a safety diver for a couple of dive outfits. If I were a paying tourist on that dive, I would demand my money back, it's all dead coral!

At one of the top dive sites near koh phi phi there were fishing net drag marks in the sand  everywhere around the reef.  Including some net material on broken off coral fragments that jad been dragged out away from the reef.   I was convinced that at night these unprotected from fishing reefs get hammered by fishermen.    I also went on a snorkel cattle boat full og chinese at the peak pre covid.  These boats held 50 people and there were several at this one shallow reef.  In places it was only 3-4' deep and many Chinese were standing upright to rest and or take pictures.  I was totally disgusted.    Compare to Mexico who in the 60 or 70s  were smart enough to create sanctuaries around Cuzumel because more money could be made with the dive industry than fisherman.   

1 hour ago, Trip Hop said:

The air is surface supplied i.e. not compressed and therefore there will be little or no expansion upon ascent, so no worry of pulmonary barotrauma. 

That is absolutely wrong and a good way to die of an embolism if you hold your breath on ascent.  You can't breathe "uncompressed air" any deeper than a couple of feet. If you think you can, try breathing through a garden hose next time you're in a pool.  In fact, the closer you are to the surface, the more important it is to not hold your breath on ascent using any source of air, because of the inverse nature of Boyles law on the expansion of a gas.

10 hours ago, impulse said:

That is absolutely wrong and a good way to die of an embolism if you hold your breath on ascent.  You can't breathe "uncompressed air" any deeper than a couple of feet. If you think you can, try breathing through a garden hose next time you're in a pool.  In fact, the closer you are to the surface, the more important it is to not hold your breath on ascent using any source of air, because of the inverse nature of Boyles law on the expansion of a gas.

From 6 metres, no chance.  Explain how I never suffered an embolism when as a kid we used to dive to touch the bottom of the 6m deep diving pool at the local swimming pool?  Additionally and whilst not advisable I've also seen plenty of dive students having breathed compressed air, panic and bolt to the surface without exhaling from a bit deeper than that and never suffered an embolism.  Maybe I should have explained in a bit more detail in that the air is tank supplied and compressed but at surface pressure so it doesn't suffer the same additional compression as if the tank was at the same depth as the user?  However, you still might want to check up on your physics as the pressure in water is linear with depth and therefore you will get the same percentage of expansion/compression going from say 10m to 7m as you would from 3m to the surface.  Boyle's Law is a linear equation (P1.V1=P2.V2) and therefore your claim regarding it being more important closer to the surface is a total load of tosh as it's all based on the pressure difference between the 2 points (depths) in the water. 

Edited by Trip Hop

On 3/9/2024 at 4:07 PM, BritScot said:

You do not touch, just look was and is the rule. The only thing you should ever take to the surface is rubbish or lost gear you come across. It's only Thais who getaway with desecration of the sea.

and  land, theyll strip a pond  bare of ANY size  fish

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/9/2024 at 4:58 PM, bristolgeoff said:

You can look maybe touch but do not take.that has the rule for years.everyone knows including boat owners.so doing that is a complete no no

Should not touch either.  How many delicate corals that take decades to form are destroyed by apathetic tourists who trample on, break off with their hands, knock their fins into things, and some trying to acquire souvenirs or 'show and tell' at the surface.  Fan coral, one of the most delicate corals that takes decades to form, I have seen videos of clumsy and intentional foreign tourists breaking pieces off.  Touching and holding onto fish/reef sharks etc, can remove important protective mucous lining on their scales/skin, leading to infection.  

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

The air is surface supplied i.e. not compressed and therefore there will be little or no expansion upon ascent, so no worry of pulmonary barotrauma.  At the 6m they will be diving at, there will not be enough pressure for there to be a worry of a build up of nitrogen bubbles in the joints  and therefore your suggestion of possible decompression sickness i.e. the bends is rather ludicrous.  The system that they are using is called Snuba (or a variation of it), has been around for about 20 years and is quite safe for use at 6m for these exact reasons.

No the air they’re breathing will be compressed,that’s why they’re using demand valves. The pressure at 6 metres is such that your lungs would not be able to overcome it to draw uncompressed air from the surface. Take a hose into the pool go to 2 metres underwater and see if you can breathe…

On 3/11/2024 at 4:05 AM, Chongalulu said:

No the air they’re breathing will be compressed,that’s why they’re using demand valves. The pressure at 6 metres is such that your lungs would not be able to overcome it to draw uncompressed air from the surface. Take a hose into the pool go to 2 metres underwater and see if you can breathe…

On 3/11/2024 at 4:05 AM, Chongalulu said:

If you read my other post you would have seen that I clarified this position in that whilst it is compressed it does not suffer from the additional compression created by the tank being at depth.  Hence why using conventional scuba you will always burn more air the deeper you go.

2 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

If you read my other post you would have seen that I clarified this position in that whilst it is compressed it does not suffer from the additional compression created by the tank being at depth.  Hence why using conventional scuba you will always burn more air the deeper you go.

The tank cannot be compressed by being at depth and there's no difference in the pressure of air you breathe between a tank and air compressed at the surface. The second stage demand valve determines that supplying air at the pressure relative to the depth you're at.

Just now, Chongalulu said:

The tank cannot be compressed by being at depth and there's no difference in the pressure of air you breathe between a tank and air compressed at the surface. The second stage demand valve determines that supplying air at the pressure relative to the depth you're at.

The crew of the Titan submersible might beg to differ with you on this one Einstein?

6 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

The crew of the Titan submersible might beg to differ with you on this one Einstein?

That wasn't compressed inside. It imploded. The pressure meter of your tank will not change the deeper you go. The interior pressure remains the same. Before quoting Einstein brush up on your physics. 

14 minutes ago, Chongalulu said:

That wasn't compressed inside. It imploded. The pressure meter of your tank will not change the deeper you go. The interior pressure remains the same. Before quoting Einstein brush up on your physics. 

I think you should too, as well as your diving theory?  The following taken from the first reference that I could quickly find:

Simply put-as a diver goes deeper into the water, the pressure on everything becomes greater. The volume of air in the dive tanks is getting smaller while the pressure rises. Remember from the basics that you can compress air. 

The link is here:

https://www.greaterclevelandaquarium.com/diving-physics/#:~:text=Simply put-as a diver,becomes compressed when at depth. 

Unhappy netizens complaining again. I don't advocate disturbing marine life but it's a shellfish. We eat millions of them a day, lifting one up to take a picture is not exactly going to destroy the ecosystem. 

If you're going to act like such a desperado nation, constantly clamoring for 40 million tourists, you have to expect that a few of them are going to misbehave, and you can't make a national incident about it every time it happens. 

Lifting a shellfish is akin to wearing white to a formal occasion, after labor day in NYC. Kicking a Thai doctor in the back, on public property someone claims to own, is akin to Germany invading Russia, at the onset of winter. 

This is getting very tiring. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 3/15/2024 at 5:30 PM, Trip Hop said:

I think you should too, as well as your diving theory?  The following taken from the first reference that I could quickly find:

Simply put-as a diver goes deeper into the water, the pressure on everything becomes greater. The volume of air in the dive tanks is getting smaller while the pressure rises. Remember from the basics that you can compress air. 

The link is here:

https://www.greaterclevelandaquarium.com/diving-physics/#:~:text=Simply put-as a diver,becomes compressed when at depth. 

That wasn’t in dispute. Yours started with"they weren’t breathing compressed air " which you had to row back from when I pointed out that you couldn’t breathe uncompressed air at 6 metres from the surface . (Wrong statement number one).

Secondly you claimed that breathing air from a tank at that depth was physiologically different from breathing compressed air from the surface at the same depth (Wrong statement number number two) . The second stage demand valve they are using supplies air at ambient pressure relative to the depth ,so is irrelevant which source it comes from. What you have quoted there is irrelevant to that point and the conversation we were having despite it being factually correct and which I never disputed. In summary it is a complete deflection to the two incorrect statements you made (the first one a complete howler ). 

12 hours ago, Chongalulu said:

That wasn’t in dispute. Yours started with"they weren’t breathing compressed air " which you had to row back from when I pointed out that you couldn’t breathe uncompressed air at 6 metres from the surface . (Wrong statement number one).

Secondly you claimed that breathing air from a tank at that depth was physiologically different from breathing compressed air from the surface at the same depth (Wrong statement number number two) . The second stage demand valve they are using supplies air at ambient pressure relative to the depth ,so is irrelevant which source it comes from. What you have quoted there is irrelevant to that point and the conversation we were having despite it being factually correct and which I never disputed. In summary it is a complete deflection to the two incorrect statements you made (the first one a complete howler ). 

You haven’t a clue have you? Your first point above I clarified in a separate post if you had taken the time to read? Now I’ll take the time to educate you on your 2nd. The first stage valve reduces the pressure from the tank to an intermediate pressure but it is not constant and will vary depending on depth and the compression hence placed on the tank itself (which I have already proved). The 2nd stage (or demand valve - the clue is in this term) simply consists of a diaphragm which is is either open or closed. It actually has no real regulating purpose as you suggest. The diaphragm in its action has to be well balanced in the sense that it needs to avoid being free flowing at the surface but also avoid being too hard to open when at depth due to the extra pressure exerted on it. This is one of the main factors as to why you consume more air at depth as the 2nd stage is basically a gate which allows a volume of air through as you open it. When at depth this volume is denser and more concentrated though due to the compression on the tank (which was filled at surface pressure) If this wasn’t the case why would air bubbles increase in size as they float to the surface? 

Edited by Trip Hop

On 3/17/2024 at 6:25 AM, Trip Hop said:

You haven’t a clue have you? Your first point above I clarified in a separate post if you had taken the time to read? Now I’ll take the time to educate you on your 2nd. The first stage valve reduces the pressure from the tank to an intermediate pressure but it is not constant and will vary depending on depth and the compression hence placed on the tank itself (which I have already proved). The 2nd stage (or demand valve - the clue is in this term) simply consists of a diaphragm which is is either open or closed. It actually has no real regulating purpose as you suggest. The diaphragm in its action has to be well balanced in the sense that it needs to avoid being free flowing at the surface but also avoid being too hard to open when at depth due to the extra pressure exerted on it. This is one of the main factors as to why you consume more air at depth as the 2nd stage is basically a gate which allows a volume of air through as you open it. When at depth this volume is denser and more concentrated though due to the compression on the tank (which was filled at surface pressure) If this wasn’t the case why would air bubbles increase in size as they float to the surface? 

The cluelessness is all yours. Quote ” the second stage reduces the pressure of the interstage air supply to AMBIENT pressure on demand from the diver. Operation of the valve is triggered by a drop in downstream pressure as the diver breathes in"

Note "ambient ” but probably another thing you don't understand. You simply quote certain texts without any understanding of their relevance or application to the point made. I'll leave you to your wilful ignorance.