Songkran Celebration: Health Ministry Sets Alcohol Sales Guidelines

webfact

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

It won't be "21 days of splashing water". As I said above there will be virtually no difference. The actual holiday is April 12-16.

if there is no difference, then what is the point in announcing a 21 day Songkran festival?

bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, bob smith said:

if there is no difference, then what is the point in announcing a 21 day Songkran festival?

bob.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The government's "World Songkran Festival" from April 1st to 21st is divided into three phases: preparation, festival days, and post-festival. 

For your average Thai the celebrations will be during the official holiday period which again is April 12-16.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Many years ago when we saw Thais filing up their water guns in a creek, we have actively avoided this rubbish with the water. I am sure the Thais have the immunities and can handle dirty water in their face (they swim in when young), but us Expats over 50 are generally not so resistant to bacterial/fungal/viral infections.

Stomach problems and ear infections are common.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

For your average Thai the celebrations will be during the official holiday period which again is April 12-16.

That will be the timeline for most tourism people are not going to come unless there's a reason and 1-10 do not have a reason 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Spanning 21 days, the festival aims to boost the economy and ensure safety by creating alcohol-free water play zones and enforcing strict laws, reported Siam Rath.

Just get totally rat arsed, then off you go. What could go wrong?

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Are there also laws that are not strict? 🤔

If they enforced the law where no alcohol sales were allowed between 2 and 5 that might curtail the issue of alcohol sales,  bars flaunt the law

but the Police turn a blind eye.

• Haha 1

I sometimes wonder, what kind of excellent weed some people seem to smoke. 21 days of alcohol-free zoned Songkran, I beg your pardon!

"The government's "World Songkran Festival" from 1 to 21 April is divided into three phases: preparation, festival days, and post-festival."  

The reality reads more like this: the division into three phases reads "get plenty of booze 24/7 despite no-alcohol-sale-hours anywhere except the supermarkets, get hammered and completely drunk during the festival days and the post-festival serves to clear up the mother-of-all-hangovers due to the extremely high quality of the local firewaters".

I am open to everything and wonder, if this year's "festivities" would be any different to what I saw over the last four decades. Well, the duration is a novelty; from three to 21 days; wondering how many alien will pick up the idea for holiday alternatives and how many locals can afford three weeks of partying ........ 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1