Jetstar flight fiasco: Passengers grounded as 24 hour delays soar

snoop1130

jet1.jpg

Jetstar Airways faced criticism from passengers when a flight from Bangkok to Singapore was delayed by more than 24 hours. The low-budget airline came under fire after 161 passengers found themselves stranded at Suvarnabhumi International Airport on Wednesday, March 13.

Passengers were scheduled to board Jetstar Asia flight 3K516 for a 1.35pm departure, Singapore time, with an arrival at Changi Airport expected by 5.05pm. Unfortunately, the airline failed to leave the tarmac at Thailand’s premier airport, leaving passengers waiting until 10pm before the flight was eventually cancelled.

One passenger, Yu Zhuyu, told reporters they had initially been notified of a delay until 5.20 pm.

“After the plane arrived at the Bangkok airport, it was parked for three hours. The ground staff said there was a technical issue and the pilot failed the pre-departure inspection twice.

“When we heard the news, several passengers rushed to the counter to seek an explanation from the airline staff, but no one was there to answer their queries.

“We waited till 7pm and were told that the boarding gate had been changed. At 10pm, they said the flight was cancelled.

“The airline didn’t even announce that the flight was delayed. We found out only after checking the flight timing on our own.”

The 37 year old, who works in the IT industry, made known that some passengers were supposed to transit in Singapore.

“I heard that someone was supposed to attend his father’s funeral. Many of us were unhappy and the entire scene was chaotic.”

Yu also mentioned speaking to a tour guide who was accompanying a group of 28 travellers from China on a 10-day trip to Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore. Their original plan was to arrive in Singapore on March 13 and proceed to Malaysia the following day.

“Since they are stuck in Thailand, they will have to forgo their travel plans in Singapore. The tour guide said they’ve already paid for their expenses in Singapore, but now everything’s wasted.”

Another passenger, who identified herself as Lian, revealed that she had been informed by airport staff of a leak in the plane’s hydraulic system that was unrepairable.

The 29 year old teacher mentioned that Jetstar provided food and drinks to the passengers around 5pm. At 1am on Thursday, the airline arranged for buses to transport them to a hotel.

“We were all very tired. They said they would ferry us to the airport [the next day] and provide lunch before our rescheduled flight to Singapore.”

In response to press enquiries, a spokesperson from Jetstar Asia stated that the delay resulted from a technical fault detected during a routine pre-departure inspection.

A Jetstar spokesperson further explained that all passengers would be accommodated on a rescheduled flight departing at 9pm on Thursday. Additionally, they were provided with accommodation, transportation, and meal vouchers. Passengers who opt not to board the rescheduled flight will be eligible for a full refund.

“We sincerely apologise for the frustration and inconvenience caused by this delay. The safety of our customers, people and fleet is our first priority and our team is working hard to get everyone to their destination as soon as possible.”

This is not the first time Jetstar has come under criticism for delays. Last year hundreds of passengers on a Jetstar Bangkok flight were stranded on board the aircraft at Alice Springs airport for seven hours.

The latest mega-delay comes just days after a 2-hour flight across Japan became a 16-hour nightmare when a flight was denied permission to land because it was 10 minutes late.

By Bob Scott

Caption: Picture courtesy of Mothership

Source: The Thaiger 2024-03-15

- Discover how Cigna Insurance can protect you with a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment. For more information on expat health insurance click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1000x500-3.png

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The 37 year old, who works in the IT industry, made known that some passengers were supposed to transit in Singapore.

That really is a bummer... 

After my last flight with Jetstar decided never to fly with them again. Last 5 flights have all had problems. Last flight they told me my luggage was still in Perth as it had been badly damadged and could not be loaded on plane. Arrived three days later not a mark on my suitcase. Had to finish up threatening them with court action before they would refund my out of pocket expences. They agreed to pay me within a few days, took weeks and more complaining before money finally paid into my account. Qantas and Jetstar are both driven by corporate greed not customer service.

13 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Jetstar...part of Qantas have had these issues fairly regularly in the past. Staff often don't have an idea what the delay issues...and if they do, then there is usually silence.

Don't expect a hotel from them while waiting...constant delay messages are given....

They may be the cheapest...but they sure ain't the best!

Try reading the report again.
 Additionally, they were provided with accommodation, transportation, and meal vouchers.

• Thanks 1

After the plane arrived at the Bangkok airport, it was parked for three hours. The ground staff said there was a technical issue and the pilot failed the pre-departure inspection twice.”

———

How did the pilot fail inspection? Improper uniform? Or perhaps something more nefarious?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We sincerely apologise for the frustration and inconvenience caused by this delay. The safety of our customers, people and fleet is our first priority and our team is working hard to get everyone to their destination as soon as possible.”

"We do not care one iota about you once we have your money. The inconvenience of our customers is our first priority, the second one is too keep everyone uninformed, while our team is collectively digging their noses. Have a nice flight, if you can catch one."

• Agree 1

i bring a case forward to the advocat level of qantas about jeststar . i tried over the tourism board  singapore,over the health ministry singapore  ..just to get them fined  ...i even dont want money

end of strory  : no fine ..--an apologices and a 25 USD voucher

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, inactiveposter said:

How did the pilot fail inspection? Improper uniform? Or perhaps something more nefarious?

Possibly a faulty AI translation.

The pilot does a pre-flight inspection by walking around the plane and looking if anything is amiss. If the pilot says "no go", it is the plane that failed the inspection, not the pilot.

Edited by Puccini
added link

Would any of you moaners have liked to fly on a plane with leaking hydraulics? I think I would rather stay in the hotel and use the food vouchers offered. I have flown Jetstar many times Bangkok to Melbourne and back, mostly without any problems except during the epidemic where, once, was delayed 8 hours and was provided accommodation and food. As I say, better safe than sorry.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:18 AM, inactiveposter said:

After the plane arrived at the Bangkok airport, it was parked for three hours. The ground staff said there was a technical issue and the pilot failed the pre-departure inspection twice.”

———

He was flying half-mast ?