insulation for bedroom

renegade2000

2 hours ago, renegade2000 said:

My bedroom in Thailand is very hot and I want to have air conditioning installed, but first, I am considering putting insulation panels on the ceiling. My room is 12 square meters. What do you advise me?

Insulate it will save money and allow a faster cool down 

• Agree 1

Like most Thai homes you more than likely have a drop ceiling, so you want to put somewhere between R23 and R35 insulation directly onto the top of the ceiling tiles within the ceiling. That alone will make an enormous difference. Most Thai homes are built with red brick, which is likely the least efficient building material on the planet. Also, if you can install some exhaust fans in your room close to the ceiling that will also make a huge difference. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there an access hatch to your ceiling?

If so get someone to put some rolls of insulation, that you can buy from any home improvement store, on top of the ceiling.  Like SCG Stay Cool or a similar product.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I would begin be deciding whether you want it isolated or insulated 

That's a point but I sympathise, my bedroom (second floor) is by far the hottest room in the house. 

The other second floor rooms much lower in temp. Ground floor not too bad.

Roof tiles on all the second floor rooms get full sun, but one exposed wall (with double glass sliding doors, double glass) get full on sun from about 09.00 am. The other exposed wall with 2 double glazed large windows from 10.00 am.

These 2 exposed walls were quite hot to touch but we painted them with heat reducing paint (Home Pro) and that did reduce the temp. 

Had 2 contractors look at installing insulation (roll type), both declined because the roof cavity is too narrow and so much other stuff (drop down supports for the ceiling, wiring). Both also indicated they would not ask their staff to work in the ceiling cavity because of the extreme heat, any month in the year.

But they did both offer to remove the gyprock ceiling, add the insulation and fix a wobbly ceiling fan from within the bed room then reinstall a new gyprock ceiling. It's a quite large room, less than 2 days to complete the work.

Both quotes 4,000Baht.

Late this year in cool months we will go ahead with the plan in the paragraph above. 

Already have air-con, took the room measurements to an air-con shop and they calculated how many BTU size air-con needed. LG.

Edited by scorecard
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

one exposed wall (with double glass sliding doors, double glass) get full on sun from about 09.00 am. The other exposed wall with 2 double glazed large windows from 10.00 am.

For the glass you need reflective blinds

IMG_8579.thumb.jpeg.524c5f6bfa2456c422ce03d285507901.jpeg

like these. They cut the heat being transmitted into the room by around 90%

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That alone will make an enormous difference. Most Thai homes are built with red brick,

Sorry I have to disagree, most Thai houses are built with blocks.  

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry I have to disagree, most Thai houses are built with blocks.  

bricks blocks what does either have to do with the thread

such schist

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, renegade2000 said:

My bedroom in Thailand is very hot and I want to have air conditioning installed, but first, I am considering putting insulation panels on the ceiling. My room is 12 square meters. What do you advise me?

If the ceiling is fiber panels, panels with 2" insulation is an easy solution. Gibson board could be insulated by rolls of insulation. 
I need more information about your room to give you more ideas. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For the glass you need reflective blinds

IMG_8579.thumb.jpeg.524c5f6bfa2456c422ce03d285507901.jpeg

like these. They cut the heat being transmitted into the room by around 90%

Thanks for that.

Could you please show a couple of photos of reflective blinds.

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

bricks blocks what does either have to do with the thread

such schist

It really dorsn't matter other than the fact that they both absorb heat and don't cool diwn quickly, adding to the internal temperature.