Man quits weed after 20 years and shares the benefits

On 3/23/2024 at 9:54 PM, save the frogs said:

That video came in my feeds on Youtube recently, but never watched it.

The thing is ... why does the human brain have cannabinoid receptors? Some people argue it's because humans have been taking cannabis for 10,000 years. 

But I wonder if there might be another more complex explanation beyond our understanding. 

• Love It 1

The thing is ... why does the human brain have cannabinoid receptors? Some people argue it's because humans have been taking cannabis for 10,000 years. 

But I wonder if there might be another more complex explanation beyond our understanding. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Good on ya man!

This ain't gonna go down well with the smug weed fans.

Yes this! Because every story you hear from a rando is universally applicable - I'm stopping today, I've never, ever heard a story which so totally destroyed my smugness. 😎

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

It is wonderful that this man decided to share his experience with the community. He emphasized several important points, such as improved mental and physical health after quitting marijuana, as well as relief from the financial burden associated with its use. Additionally, he shared how his relationships became healthier after he recovered from his addiction.

• Haha 1

Ironically, I started weed again after 20 years (stopped at 16 and started again at 35).

It's really helping me with my clinic depression and PTSD especially when it comes to creativity and planning my days. I feel much more focused and helps me gets sh*t done.

However, it does sometimes add a little bit of anxiety but I've been having health anxiety since I was like 6-7 years so this is nothing new.

Also it is important to note that all strains are different and hits differently so while I do feel like it's helping this is not applicable for ALL the strains but only a selective few.s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shocky2012 said:

Also it is important to note that all strains are different and hits differently so while I do feel like it's helping this is not applicable for ALL the strains but only a selective few.s.

Personally, I never really bought into any of this. To me it all seems just like marketing intended to get people more excited about buying weed. It sounds great, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. THC is THC. The only thing that really makes a difference to me is the dosing. 

Anyway, to back up my claims, I did lots of experiments with different so-called strains that are supposed to do this or that. I did lots of mixing of strains together too. And the outcome of the feeling was always the same from all of them. 

There were times where I used one strain and I might've felt one way and then used that same strain a different day and felt differently. And that would make no sense if there really is a difference in each strain. It can't make you feel one way one day and a different way another day if the strains are expected to do one specific thing. So, my conclusion was that the reason I felt differently on different days from the same strain comes down to dosing and perhaps my own mental and emotional state at the time. 

At this point, I choose weed based on how it looks, how it smells, how it feels in my hand, and if it seems like it likely has a high level of THC. I pay no attention to the cool names or whatever claims are being made about the type of strain it is. 

To each his own though. If people want to buy into the hype, and to believe there is some difference (other than look, feel and smell) then that's fine with me. It might have some placebo effect on how people feel from the weed if they convince themselves it's one way or another. I just don't let any of it influence my choices when I choose what to buy though. 

Also, I think the anxiety that you mention can occur from your mental state when you use it. If you are very relaxed when you use it, then you probably won't feel any anxiety from the cannabis. If you've got something on your mind that's bothering you, and then you use cannabis, you might feel some added anxiety because of that. The other thing for me is that I notice cannabis often increases my heart rate for the first 15-20 minutes. Heart rate is also the brain's automatic reaction to situations of fear or paranoia. So when your heart rate unexpectedly goes up, it may be the subconscious mind associating that with and creating unexpected anxiety. That's just my theory, but it seems to make some logical sense. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ABCDBKK said:

Personally, I never really bought into any of this. To me it all seems just like marketing intended to get people more excited about buying weed. It sounds great, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. THC is THC. The only thing that really makes a difference to me is the dosing. 

Anyway, to back up my claims, I did lots of experiments with different so-called strains that are supposed to do this or that. I did lots of mixing of strains together too. And the outcome of the feeling was always the same from all of them. 

There were times where I used one strain and I might've felt one way and then used that same strain a different day and felt differently. And that would make no sense if there really is a difference in each strain. It can't make you feel one way one day and a different way another day if the strains are expected to do one specific thing. So, my conclusion was that the reason I felt differently on different days from the same strain comes down to dosing and perhaps my own mental and emotional state at the time. 

At this point, I choose weed based on how it looks, how it smells, how it feels in my hand, and if it seems like it likely has a high level of THC. I pay no attention to the cool names or whatever claims are being made about the type of strain it is. 

To each his own though. If people want to buy into the hype, and to believe there is some difference (other than look, feel and smell) then that's fine with me. It might have some placebo effect on how people feel from the weed if they convince themselves it's one way or another. I just don't let any of it influence my choices when I choose what to buy though. 

Also, I think the anxiety that you mention can occur from your mental state when you use it. If you are very relaxed when you use it, then you probably won't feel any anxiety from the cannabis. If you've got something on your mind that's bothering you, and then you use cannabis, you might feel some added anxiety because of that. The other thing for me is that I notice cannabis often increases my heart rate for the first 15-20 minutes. Heart rate is also the brain's automatic reaction to situations of fear or paranoia. So when your heart rate unexpectedly goes up, it may be the subconscious mind associating that with and creating unexpected anxiety. That's just my theory, but it seems to make some logical sense. 

You do make some good points, especially regarding the high heart rate shortly after consuming cannabis. Actually, part of my PTSD involves cardiophobia, which I developed 20 years ago. I've always had some form of health anxiety, but cardiophobia has always been the most prominent.

Then, in 2014, I developed heart arrhythmia (benign - just random ectopics, skipped heart beats), which increased my anxiety significantly. After undergoing tests and discovering that there's nothing wrong with my heart and it's all in the mind, that's when I started making serious efforts to understand this condition and how it can truly impact someone's way of thinking.

For that reason, I definitely notice a difference in how I feel depending on the strains. For some unknown reason, certain strains make my heart race, while others don't affect it at all.

46 minutes ago, shocky2012 said:

You do make some good points, especially regarding the high heart rate shortly after consuming cannabis. Actually, part of my PTSD involves cardiophobia, which I developed 20 years ago. I've always had some form of health anxiety, but cardiophobia has always been the most prominent.

Then, in 2014, I developed heart arrhythmia (benign - just random ectopics, skipped heart beats), which increased my anxiety significantly. After undergoing tests and discovering that there's nothing wrong with my heart and it's all in the mind, that's when I started making serious efforts to understand this condition and how it can truly impact someone's way of thinking.

For that reason, I definitely notice a difference in how I feel depending on the strains. For some unknown reason, certain strains make my heart race, while others don't affect it at all.

Sorry to hear about your anxiety issues. THC it's a psychoactive chemical, which can however can still be controlled by the brain. There have been times where I was high and I needed to straighten up and my brain just took over and suddenly I didn't feel high anymore. So based on that, I suggest before you use cannabis you tell yourself that you're gonna go on a little trip now, that you're gonna have a good time and push any thoughts about anxiety out of your mind. I think that could work for you.

The increased heart rate issue though seems to be a function of the chemical. I don't think it's psychosomatic. But I don't know why it happens only sometimes and not others. Maybe it happens all the time, but there are times when we are feeling good from the cannabis and we don't notice it. I don't believe it strain dependent though. Think that's some sort of placebo effect where you pre-programmed yourself to think that one strain will do one thing and another strain will do another.

I suggest you try to take two strains that you think give you anxiety and take two strains that you feel don't give you anxiety. Then consume all four of them on different occasions blindly so that you don't know which one you're using. And make notes each time about how you felt. Maybe have a friend help you with this to make it easy. Then only check at the end of the four day or four session test period which ones you consumed on each occasion. I assume you're going to be surprised at the results. 

On 3/26/2024 at 1:11 AM, Guitar God said:

He should have vaporized dry herb instead and he wouldn't caused lung problems.
I traveled for an extended period and didn't use any cannabis for four months and the only difference I noticed was that I'd remember my dreams. I didn't consider that a benefit. The most dangerous side effect of using cannabis are the laws.

still not great for lungs though

I reckon there is a big difference between using it whilst young and when you are older. The brain gets 'weedproofed' and one is stoned but no longer high. I have mostly stopped - due to boredom. (Surely a sign I am gravitating to other things! Whargh!)