Thailand house of representatives approves same-sex marriage bill

webfact

29 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

No. Not really. Everyone should be free to do as they choose for their lifestyle. I have no problem with people who don't want long term relationships. 

I was pointing out the irony that some of the straight guys here who are agsist same sex marriage, bexaie they believe marriage should be only between male and female who are going to be monogamous till they die. Yet here are these men in Thailand who are all from failed relationships, divorces, remarried, kids with different women etc. 

They have not held up those standards that they insist marriage should be and why gay people should not be allowed to marry. 

Well I have no problem with them wanting to make some sort of public commitment to a relationship they are in but why call it marriage?  let them invent and form their own sort of civil partnership tailored to their own lifestyle, Or is that beyond the imagination

Reminds me of all the wokies screaming for a black , gay or female  "james bond"   why don't  invent their own fictional hero  , rather than riding on the back of an already established one ,   I really can't imagine why they would seek to merely copy an already successful film genre that has generated billions lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 3/28/2024 at 6:35 AM, waders123 said:

Until same-sex marriage is officially announced as being legal in the Gazette, it is only an idea. Legalizing same-sex marriages should have happened 15-20 years ago; Thailand could have been benefiting all these years from the influx of money and set the standard as the preferred destination for the LGBTQ+ community in Southeast Asia.  It's not too late to turn this around and capitalize on it before neighboring countries legalize same-sex marriages and start aggressively vying for the "Gay dollar."

Yes, that's exactly what Thailand has needed over the past "15-20 years"; more sex tourists. That'll improve their image and reputation. Good one (sarcasm warning). 

20 hours ago, djayz said:

Yes, that's exactly what Thailand has needed over the past "15-20 years"; more sex tourists. That'll improve their image and reputation. Good one (sarcasm warning). 

I'm not sure where "sex tourists" came from in your interpretation of my statement. It would be beneficial if you could focus and read my words carefully. I specifically discussed a new demographic of tourists choosing Thailand for vacations and marriage ceremonies in a gay-friendly environment, ideal for honeymoons. My point was unrelated to any potential involvement in the sex trade.

• Agree 2

On 3/28/2024 at 10:16 PM, NorthernRyland said:

The entire West since WWII is built on one giant pile of lies and it's going to come crumbling down eventually.

Women in the Western world should feel so grateful that some savant - with the above world view - would define for them their role in marriage:

On 3/28/2024 at 10:11 PM, NorthernRyland said:

Marriage requires a women to be involved. The whole point of marriage is to solve a tension between men and women with the goal of raising families. Never once was it about nothing but "love" like the boomer liberals decided it was. 

On 3/28/2024 at 10:14 PM, NorthernRyland said:

They [gays] can just log in to grinder and get sex no questions asked. With women it's not so easy and for most of history marriage was required for sex at all.

As the old saying goes, "give a fool enough rope and he will hang himself."

Edited by watthong

9 minutes ago, watthong said:

Women in the Western world should feel so grateful that some savant - with the above world view - would define for them their role in marriage:

Who said "their role marriage" I said marriage requires THEM.

• Confused 1

On 3/29/2024 at 10:36 AM, Bday Prang said:

why call it marriage?  let them invent and form their own sort of civil partnership tailored to their own lifestyle, Or is that beyond the imagination Reminds me of all the wokies screaming for a black , gay or female  "james bond"   why don't  invent their own fictional hero  , rather than riding on the back of an already established one ,   I really can't imagine why they would seek to merely copy an already successful film genre that has generated billions lol

Sounds like the "Eternal Sunshine of the Demented Mind."

On 3/28/2024 at 3:45 PM, watthong said:

"Its posts like this that do more harm than good the the LBGTQ community." Really? "Stoking up anti LBGTQ feeling by telling people who have a different opinion that there opnion is wrong and is bigoted." Can you read? Or you would rather spin?

I didn't tell "people who have a different opinion that there opnion is wrong and is bigoted." so don't broad-stroke my comment. I'm calling a bigot, quote by quote, a bigot. Simple as that, got it? FYI, bigotry is always there, all around us, but unlike soi dogs, you don't make them go away by ignoring them. On a forum like this one, if you don't play wackamole with them, they'll metastasize like cancer. However, bigoted comments are allowed to run rampant whenever gay topic - marriage especially - comes up. Unfortunately, yes, but that's nothing new.

you need to get that chip off your shoulder, yopu'll feel a lot better for it. Just be gay and be saitisfied, is that too difficult to do? If you encounter someone who is not gay-friendly so what? Plenty of gays these days are not particularly straight- friendly either but we dont make a song and dance about it. You have your Gay pride rallies all over the world, can you imagine the hell that would be unleashed if someone organised a Straight & Proud rally? Through the middle of one of the major cities and affected traffic?

Just get on with being whatever you are for christs sake. Others dont have to approve, it isn't compulsory to approve it you know! Grow up. 

Edited by Jackbenimble

On 3/28/2024 at 2:15 PM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I often wonder why people have the need  to tell others of their preferences  in life, I dont run around screaming  about it for sure.

exactly......the LGBQT community shout from the rooftops about their sexuality. They bring traffic to a standstill with their rallies all over the world and att axpayers expense. Just be gay if you're gay ffs. 

Shoving it down peoples throats is the wrong way to curry support. 

Those people who come knocking on your door to sell God are irritating too but at least they dont get aggressive/defensive/abusive if you have a different opinion to theirs. 

I have no issue with gays or trans or bi's or whatever.......genuinely! But dont push it in my face or you might see my opinion change. 

I think if yoo that with anything you will encounter resistance - not appreciation and support. 

Edited by Jackbenimble
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 12:56 PM, mlkik said:

Same ole bigots always attracted to a gay or ladyboy story just to post their 18th century views.

Doubt if any of them have ever been to Thailand if this is how they feel.

same old twaddle, i let you have the last word in the other thread......keep it  up

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jackbenimble said:

Shoving it down peoples throats is the wrong way to curry support. 

Those people who come knocking on your door to sell God are irritating too but at least they dont get aggressive/defensive/abusive if you have a different opinion to theirs. 

I have no issue with gays or trans or bi's or whatever.......genuinely! But dont push it in my face or you might see my opinion change. 

I think if yoo that with anything you will encounter resistance - not appreciation and support. 

Well, another "same old twaddle..."  (and sorry I don't need no "curry support"!)

And you've got to stop SPINNING, otherwise people might mistake you for one of those UFO Light Up Spinner Tops on sale on Amazon. 

spiiner.jpg

Edited by watthong
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

same old twaddle, i let you have the last word in the other thread......keep it  up

Great idea. Always follow the wise men saying:

"Better to be thought of as a fool..., then open your mouth and get whacked for sounding like one!"

1 hour ago, watthong said:

Great idea. Always follow the wise men saying:

"Better to be thought of as a fool..., then open your mouth and get whacked for sounding like one!"

1/10

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2024 at 9:37 PM, NorthernRyland said:

Who said "their role marriage" I said marriage requires THEM.

[ their/THEM here refer to women.]

If I'm in a good mood I'd say this person is talking from both sides of his mouth.

If I'm in a not so good mood I'd say, oh never mind.

Edited by watthong

On 3/27/2024 at 7:16 PM, realfunster said:

Blimey, and many on here are quick to criticize the Thais for being money obsessed…

In response to your specific comments, as the article notes only Taiwan and Nepal have taken this step so far, so not sure how Thailand has lost ground on this issue.

I would have thought that Thailand would have been seen as a pretty welcoming and tolerant destination for LGBTQ+ for a long time already?

A brief Google indicates lots of potential legal/rights/societal challenges (and I don’t mean just not being able to marry) for LGBTQ+ across most of SEAsia and Asia, I didn’t bother checking Malaysia and Indonesia for obvious reasons….

Anyway, a decision to be applauded and let’s hope the Senate dinosaurs don’t block it. 

I simply wanted to point out the potential economic benefits of Thailand becoming a sought-after destination for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons. It's not about being money-focused, but rather recognizing the economic advantages that can come from catering to diverse communities.  Indeed, neighboring countries like Vietnam and Cambodia have discussed legalizing same-sex marriage, highlighting the importance of Thailand remaining competitive in attracting LGBTQ+ tourist dollars. That's why I emphasized as one pro point, the need for Thailand to consider passing such a law—to ensure it remains an appealing destination for LGBTQ+ travelers and maintains its position in the tourism market.  This is simply about smart leadership and has nothing to do with being obsessed with money.

I would agree with you in that Thailand has a good reputation as a welcoming and tolerant place for LGBTQ+ individuals as it is now, but if Thailand were to pass such a law, it would undoubtedly set a powerful example in Southeast Asia, showcasing its commitment to human equality, and solidifying its reputation as a leader in promoting diversity and acceptance.

The decision to legalize same-sex marriage should indeed be applauded, as it signifies a step towards greater equality and inclusivity for all Thai citizens. Let's remain hopeful that the Senate will recognize the importance of this decision and not hinder progress towards a more equitable society.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:13 AM, waders123 said:

I simply wanted to point out the potential economic benefits of Thailand becoming a sought-after destination for LGBTQ+ weddings and honeymoons. It's not about being money-focused, but rather recognizing the economic advantages that can come from catering to diverse communities.  Indeed, neighboring countries like Vietnam and Cambodia have discussed legalizing same-sex marriage, highlighting the importance of Thailand remaining competitive in attracting LGBTQ+ tourist dollars. That's why I emphasized as one pro point, the need for Thailand to consider passing such a law—to ensure it remains an appealing destination for LGBTQ+ travelers and maintains its position in the tourism market.  This is simply about smart leadership and has nothing to do with being obsessed with money.

I would agree with you in that Thailand has a good reputation as a welcoming and tolerant place for LGBTQ+ individuals as it is now, but if Thailand were to pass such a law, it would undoubtedly set a powerful example in Southeast Asia, showcasing its commitment to human equality, and solidifying its reputation as a leader in promoting diversity and acceptance.

The decision to legalize same-sex marriage should indeed be applauded, as it signifies a step towards greater equality and inclusivity for all Thai citizens. Let's remain hopeful that the Senate will recognize the importance of this decision and not hinder progress towards a more equitable society.

Exactly, I am kind of surprised that TAT has not been zeroing in on the gay tourist dollars all these years... My close circle of "sisters" ie gay friends in the States toil away all year in their medical/pharmaceutical cubicle (most being doctors and pharmacists) waiting for their annual pilgrimage to Thailand.. which just happens to "coincide" with the Gay pride month ==>> where they land on the island of Phuket like a flurry of fairies, allegedly to "shove it down the people's throat " with all the "flag-waving, dancing in the streets" of Patong, and indulging themselves in the kind of unabashed decadence that could only take place in a homophobe's wet dream, ehr, I mean, imagination!

Kidding aside, to have gay wedding/honeymoon trips here in Thailand would add substantially to the Thai tourist industry, and big bang for the gay tourist buck. For the money one would spend on an average, boring if not sad-looking wedding in America (or Europe for that matter) you could do 5 in Thailand, with decors and catering like you wouldn't believe. Friends and families would jump at the chance of coming over, partaking "a slice of paradise" (in their mind it's mostly lounging on "white sand beaches lapping turquoise water," among "other things") and getting more out of their investment than they ever would. say if they chose Hawaii instead...

Practically speaking, straight couples usually would prefer to wed in the home country, just because of the sheer size of the invitees, whereas gay weddings tend to be smaller, more intimate affairs, therefore require less time/budget planning and can afford to be more "package-able." Again I'm surprised that so far only Thai banks have shown interest in luring more gay clientele with their gay-recognition ads. But now that the lawmakers are taking a big step, let's hope for more exposure and validation for the gay community in Thailand. Bravo!

5 hours ago, Aviatorhi said:

No issues unless you notice them - right? Whatever grampy, you'll be getting off the "Earth Ride" soon enough -and won't need to worry about having it "pushed in your face".

Ok, some of us oldies are bound to die soon, after a good life. But Genesis 13.12 and Genesis 19.29 teach what is going to happen to you.

• Sad 1