How to have my UK letter post processed to me while I live in Thailand.

Hi,

I am a UK citizen. After retiring from work I put my house in the hands of a rental agency to fully manage and came to Thailand. That was over 6 years ago. All has gone very well, I love life here in Thailand, I have no family in the UK so have no reason to return.

I have done my best to stop letter post but there are a few letters each year that I would like to see and sometimes take action.

I initially had my letter post re-directed to a very good friend in the UK but last year Royal Mail refused to renew the re-direction.

The rental agency for my house will collect my letters when they do a house inspection and deliver them to my friend, but that is only once per year.

Maybe I could pay for more house inspections but it all seems to be a bit messy.

I would like something more permanent, to pay a company to receive my re-directed letters and for them to process them, basically send me a secure copy (password protected) by email.

Does anyone know of such a company or have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Keith

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Royal Mail forwarding service.

They’ll not scan letters but they will send them on to you.

The difficulty is setting up the account from overseas.

11 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

but last year Royal Mail refused to renew the re-direction.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There are several Mail forwarding companies available that will open and scan, email to you and then forward or destroy as per your instructions. They are not expensive, some have fixed annual other have Pay as you go, which is better if just a small amount of mail each month etc.

Google search " Mail forwarding Uk" 

Thank you @CharlieH  I will do a Google search.

mail box rental companies do scanning and emailing, but then you'll have to change your banking address to the rented mailbox, or setup forwarding with royal mail to send all your mail from your house to the mailbox 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Your tenancy agreement will probably state that your tenants need to inform of of any mail you receive , just ask the tenants to post the mail to you or get them to open the mail and scan it and e-mail it to you 

I've just had my tenant send a UK SIM card to me here in Thailand using Royal Mail. I sent her a £25 ASDA gift card, she was very happy to do it.

5 minutes ago, quake said:

Why can't you get the letters sent to Thailand.

What you trying to hide. ?

All my correspondence comes to Thailand.

and I rent out property in the uk.

so what's going on. ?

Probably non of your business, the guy asked a reasonable question. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Probably non of your business, the guy asked a reasonable question. 

Its an open forum.

I can ask what i like. within forum rules.

so go do one.

Ps I suspect his trying to keep a uk bank account open for his rental income. by using his rental home address.

( I could be wrong )

Edited by quake
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

That was Aug last year so I do wonder if I reapply they may start again.

They have a limit of 4 years in one go.

I am on my second 4 year stretch but did have a gap of less than a year in the middle so definitely worth trying again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, quake said:

Why can't you get the letters sent to Thailand.

What you trying to hide. ?

If you read what he wrote - 

4 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

Re-directing to Thailand is not good for me as I am still renting in Thailand.

That suggests possibly not necessarily at one fixed abode...........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, topt said:

If you read what he wrote - 

That suggests possibly not necessarily at one fixed abode...........

You can rent a box at most post offices in Thailand if you need to.

42 minutes ago, topt said:

They have a limit of 4 years in one go.

I am on my second 4 year stretch but did have a gap of less than a year in the middle so definitely worth trying again.

Thanks @topt I will also try to start another redirection with Royal Mail to my friend, I think in the last year of redirection there was a total of only about 20 letters, so not too much work for Royal Mail for about £60 per year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Who are those letters from ?

And what are they about?

The OP simply asked about how to get his UK personal mail forwarded or redirected to Thailand. Beyond the fact that he doesn't have a family member who can do this, what difference does knowing what's in the mail make?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keith5588 said:
15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

UK Royal Mail mail forwarding and mail redirection are two totally different services.

@NanLaew  I don't understand I thought there was only 1 Royal Mail redirection service? 

I apologise for the confusion. I have used mail forwarding and redirection in other countries, and some differentiate between (temporary) forwarding and (permanent) redirection.

For the UK's Royal Mail service, it is ALL called redirection.

Once again, my apologies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

And what are they about?

The OP simply asked about how to get his UK personal mail forwarded or redirected to Thailand. Beyond the fact that he doesn't have a family member who can do this, what difference does knowing what's in the mail make?

I was concerned that the O.P may be participating in fraudulent activity , like he might be defrauding the U.K Government by getting a pension increase when he's living in Thailand and his pension should be frozen .

I do not want to participate in criminal actives by advising him on how to commit a crime 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I apologise for the confusion. I have used mail forwarding and redirection in other countries, and some differentiate between (temporary) forwarding and (permanent) redirection.

For the UK's Royal Mail service, it is ALL called redirection.

Once again, my apologies.

Thank you @NanLaew

On 3/28/2024 at 4:22 PM, Keith5588 said:

Thank you @Chomper Higgot but as @Upnotover said Royal Mail refused to continue the re-direction to my friend. That was Aug last year so I do wonder if I reapply they may start again. Re-directing to Thailand is not good for me as I am still renting in Thailand.

Could you not get the originators of the letters in question to send them directly to your friend?

On 4/2/2024 at 7:03 PM, OJAS said:

Could you not get the originators of the letters in question to send them directly to your friend?

Thank you OJAS I might do that, but I am now on top of the older investments and pensions, my friend has been so very good. After another year I think I will have all transfered to accounts I can manage online. Maybe the 1 or 2 left I will give my friends address. Thank you

• Thanks 1

To those that feel I am doing something wrong.

I am only trying to sort out very difficult old investments and pension funds. 

I worked hard for 40 years in the UK, I retired, I came to Thailand and met a very good Thai lady 7 years ago ....... so I now live in Thailand and love the life here.

I have not yet started my UK state pension and I am not trying to defraud the UK government.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Keith5588 said:

To those that feel I am doing something wrong.

I am only trying to sort out very difficult old investments and pension funds. 

I worked hard for 40 years in the UK, I retired, I came to Thailand and met a very good Thai lady 7 years ago ....... so I now live in Thailand and love the life here.

I have not yet started my UK state pension and I am not trying to defraud the UK government.

There is no defrauding, perfectly legal to receive unfrozen, however if you inform (volunteer information) they( DWP) will freeze.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1