A question: Why are central banks buying Gold as if there were no tomorrow (especially third world countries) while private investors are selling their Gold and ETF Gold certificates?

WHY THIS?

51 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

As far as I know buying gold is a way for central banks to diversify and protect their reserves.

It's usually a sign that the USD ain't gonna do too well.

That's the reason emerging economies are buying a lot of gold.

It's a way of hedging the risk I guess.

I remain: The central banks are gobbeling up Gold massively. At the same time Private Investors get rid of their Gold holdings.

There is a good reason I called this thread as "the Gold Enigma".

17 minutes ago, swissie said:

I remain: The central banks are gobbeling up Gold massively. At the same time Private Investors get rid of their Gold holdings.

If central banks buy massively, the price must be going up.

That's probably an opportunity to sell and make a profit for many private investors.

Seems logical to me...

Larry Fink said investors should now allocate 90% of their money to stocks.

Probably more opportunities to rack up profits that way.

Edited by MrPancake
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, swissie said:

Yes, we know about central banks. Where is the evidence that private investors are selling? Why would they, other than hardship need, or to take some profits? If there's high demand then now is not the time to sell.

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Yes, we know about central banks. Where is the evidence that private investors are selling? Why would they, other than hardship need, or to take some profits? If there's high demand then now is not the time to sell.

There are so many official and private statistics available that prove that the "Central-Banks" are the main buyers of Gold.

I would like to know why in such a situation "private investors" rather sell their Gold, instead of following "the central banks policy" of accumulating gold, instead of selling it.  

Again: I called this thread "The Enigma of Gold". With good reason.

13 hours ago, swissie said:

There are so many official and private statistics available that prove that the "Central-Banks" are the main buyers of Gold.

I would like to know why in such a situation "private investors" rather sell their Gold, instead of following "the central banks policy" of accumulating gold, instead of selling it.  

Again: I called this thread "The Enigma of Gold". With good reason.

Maybe because Central Banks will only buy gold for delivery whereas most private investors only buy ETF's, certificates and funds and doubt that the issuers of that paper would even exist, if there was a meltdown. I think it would be pointless to buy gold except to have it and hold it. I considered buying Eden Tree gold at one point but decided the risk was still there and was too great. But if I'm the government of Bongabonga, knowing that my gold bars are nicely tucked away in the BIS vaults, I probably sleep very soundly.

14 hours ago, MrPancake said:

If central banks buy massively, the price must be going up.

That's probably an opportunity to sell and make a profit for many private investors.

Seems logical to me...

Larry Fink said investors should now allocate 90% of their money to stocks.

Probably more opportunities to rack up profits that way.

Stocks are high. That advice is 12 months late.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Dolf said:

Stocks are high. That advice is 12 months late.

Depends. If you look at Berkshire for example, it's still a pretty good deal.

Edited by MrPancake

36 minutes ago, MrPancake said:

Depends. If you look at Berkshire for example, it's still a pretty good deal.

Warren will die soon. 

"Here's Why Gold Is At A Record High - Forbes"

"Gold has added 394% in value over the past 20 years, according to FactSet data, below the S&P 500's 522% return over the two-decade period, but still a remarkable feat considering gold is an inorganic material without the potential to return profits to shareholders as a stock would."  Mar 9, 2567 BE  https://www.forbes.com

1 hour ago, blazes said:

I'm surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned the most obvious reason (among many) why gold has climbed so much in the last two years.

It relates to the American imposition of sanctions on Russia at the beginning of the Ukraine business.

When countries around the world with strong economies saw that the US was likely to suddenly freeze the assets of any country the US disapproved of, they began to organize against the same thing happening to them as happened to Russia.  So, the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, & S. Africa) began the process of setting up a payments' system in opposition to the dollar system that has prevailed since the end of WW2.
(The Brics countries have been joined, last year, officially by Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran and the UAE.)

Russia of course got around American sanctions by trading oil for Indian rupees or for Chinese yuan etc. That was the beginning.  It is already leading to a slight weakening of the dollar.

Much more dangerous for world peace & stability is an idea originating in Washington that (in order for Congress to finance the carnage in Ukraine) the US should SEIZE (that is, steal) $300 billion in US Treasuries that belong to Russia.  If that idea comes to fruition and the theft is committed, it will herald ...well, who knows what ...but the consequences could be extremely serious.

Nothing written here is secret or conspiratorial.  It's all easily available in numerous sources in financial and political journalism.

I don't see that USD has weakened at all, in fact, the opposite seems true.

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

When countries around the world with strong economies saw that the US was likely to suddenly freeze the assets of any country the US disapproved of, they began to organize against the same thing happening to them as happened to Russia.

Bingo!

Welele.es - Estas películas ya no se hacen… - Tu web de humor, memes, gifs  y vídeos

Edited by farangkinok

37 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

https://www.marketwa

38 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/index/dxy

tch.com/investing/index/dxy

That is a good graph to show (and I go there myself every day).  However, if you look closely at the numbers (and the surrounding stories) you will see that there has been some weakening of the dollar.  Not so many weeks ago the dollar index (versus gold) stood at about 102 (now it is 104, and so a strengthening of the dollar.  But it is strengthening because of global expectation that US Treasuries  will go up (see the story below the graph).

If Treasuries go up, it is because the "market" expects further inflation and further rate increases.  The rate increases will come because of the huge deficits being run by successive administrations.  (That is why whoever wins the next general election is going to have to somehow solve this problem of deficits as far as the eye can see.  But who has the balls to do what needs to be done??!!)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, blazes said:

That is a good graph to show (and I go there myself every day).  However, if you look closely at the numbers (and the surrounding stories) you will see that there has been some weakening of the dollar.  Not so many weeks ago the dollar index (versus gold) stood at about 102 (now it is 104, and so a strengthening of the dollar.  But it is strengthening because of global expectation that US Treasuries  will go up (see the story below the graph).

If Treasuries go up, it is because the "market" expects further inflation and further rate increases.  The rate increases will come because of the huge deficits being run by successive administrations.  (That is why whoever wins the next general election is going to have to somehow solve this problem of deficits as far as the eye can see.  But who has the balls to do what needs to be done??!!)

Bond yields and value work in opposite directions. If Treasuries are going up then yields will fall, it's because the markets expect interest rates to fall, which they certainly will.

I didn't have much, but sold my gold coins for THB yesterday. Didn't need the money, but figured I'd dump it at a high price. Gonna offload my silver coins too soon, if can find a pawn shop or individual to buy it. 

On 4/1/2024 at 12:49 AM, swissie said:

There's a good reason private investors are know as "dumb money".

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

I didn't have much, but sold my gold coins for THB yesterday. Didn't need the money, but figured I'd dump it at a high price. Gonna offload my silver coins too soon, if can find a pawn shop or individual to buy it. 

I would wait on silver

On 4/1/2024 at 1:18 AM, soi3eddie said:

Where is the evidence that private investors are selling?

Where else are the central banks going to get large quantities of gold?

There's really no point to dwell on it.. and I don't think it really rates as an 'enigma' 😂😂... How did the population of Easter Island die out?  Why are the bases of ancient pyramids perfectly flat?  Why are people selling gold...? Err.. nope. 

It is what it is.  Main reason for individuals selling 'safe' assets is *because they need the money*, hardly a revelation. 

Ps this is the reason why directors selling shares is much less important than directors buying shares.  The former could be for school fees. The latter indicates faith in the business. 

SR

2 hours ago, Irish star said:

I would wait on silver

I hear ya...but been waiting since 1980. 🤣

Did sell some then. But bought a lot more for years after that, dirt cheap. Should have sold in 2011. Don't need the cash, just want to off-load it. Clearing out the clutter. 

10 hours ago, blazes said:

I'm surprised that no one on this thread has mentioned the most obvious reason (among many) why gold has climbed so much in the last two years.

It relates to the American imposition of sanctions on Russia at the beginning of the Ukraine business.

When countries around the world with strong economies saw that the US was likely to suddenly freeze the assets of any country the US disapproved of, they began to organize against the same thing happening to them as happened to Russia.  So, the BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, & S. Africa) began the process of setting up a payments' system in opposition to the dollar system that has prevailed since the end of WW2.
(The Brics countries have been joined, last year, officially by Egypt, Ethiopia, Iran and the UAE.)

Russia of course got around American sanctions by trading oil for Indian rupees or for Chinese yuan etc. That was the beginning.  It is already leading to a slight weakening of the dollar.

Much more dangerous for world peace & stability is an idea originating in Washington that (in order for Congress to finance the carnage in Ukraine) the US should SEIZE (that is, steal) $300 billion in US Treasuries that belong to Russia.  If that idea comes to fruition and the theft is committed, it will herald ...well, who knows what ...but the consequences could be extremely serious.

Nothing written here is secret or conspiratorial.  It's all easily available in numerous sources in financial and political journalism.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/currency-angst-is-going-global-as-strong-dollar-vexes-markets-1.2054961

• Agree 1