British man dies after bathroom fall at Chon Buri residence

webfact

image.jpeg

A British businessman met a fatal end today at 7.10am after slipping and falling onto a glass sliding door in the bathroom at his Chon Buri residence, resulting in glass impaling his chest.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Surasingh Sukmak, the deputy investigator, was notified of the incident which involved 54 year old British national, Gareth John Wilson. The accident took place in a private housing estate in the Huai Yai area of Bang Lamung District in the coastal town of Chon Buri.

Upon arrival at the accident scene, a luxurious single-story residence, law enforcement found Wilson’s wife and relatives, overwhelmed with grief, some fainting and collapsing on the sofas in the lounge area. Wilson lay on the bed with a fatal wound to his chest in the bedroom.

The glass sliding door of the bathroom was shattered, and there was a large amount of bloodstain on the floor. No signs of a struggle were evident in the room. The police proceeded to document the scene for further investigation.

The initial statement from the deceased’s wife suggested that Wilson had been out drinking with friends the night before and had returned home late. In the morning, while he was walking to the bathroom, he reportedly felt dizzy, lost his balance, and crashed into the sliding glass door, causing it to shatter.

Despite being severely injured, Wilson managed to move to the bed where he lay down. Relatives quickly called for medical assistance from Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, but by the time help arrived, the injuries and blood loss proved too severe, and Wilson’s life could not be saved, reported KhaoSod.

The police have planned a thorough post-mortem examination at the Police General Hospital’s forensic medicine institute to determine the precise cause of death. Relatives will be called in for further questioning to complete the investigation into the accident.

In related news, the British backpacker murderers have made fresh appeals against their sentence claiming they are innocent of beating an English couple to death in Thailand 10 years ago.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Source: The Thaiger 2024-04-04

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

SIAMSNUS

• Sad 9

50 minutes ago, ukrules said:

No safety glass there, such incidents are so easily avoided.

Note to self - always use some kind of shattering type safety glass in the future.

I had a shower screen fitted and they mentioned it was safety glass, i thought it was standard here...obviously not by cowboy builders

• Agree 2

Still young at 54, lots of elderly people die from falls mainly in slippery places, and to die from such unfortunate and

avoidable circumstances it's a pity and a shame...

It seems in both private homes and hotels, the urge to make a bathroom look good results in any concern for health and safety flying out of the window.

Glass with sharp angles hard tiled corners and the concept of non-slip tiles is an anathema to most builders.

I'm surprised there aren't more deaths of this nature - or maybe there are?

Edited by kwilco

What a sad tale, and a wake up to those with glass shower screens.  Common in hotels in my experience but could not be sure if safety glass is usual. 

Sorry to be pedantic but it sound like this happened in Huay Yai, an area South of Pattaya, not ' in the coastal town of Chon Buri.'

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What a sad tale, and a wake up to those with glass shower screens.  Common in hotels in my experience but could not be sure if safety glass is usual. 

Sorry to be pedantic but it sound like this happened in Huay Yai, an area South of Pattaya, not ' in the coastal town of Chon Buri.'

Its also the name of the province. Looks like a confusion between chonburi town and chonburi province

• Like 1

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Its also the name of the province. Looks like a confusion between chonburi town and chonburi province

Of course....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

Note to self - always use some kind of shattering type safety glass in the future.

Or don't get phished so much

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

i thought any bathroom glass was safety glass like same as car windscreen

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Going to bathrooms in Thailand is extremesport. 

Slippery, have been electrocuted, seen snakes, 

Is that why so many Thais use the verges of roads?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a shower screen fitted and they mentioned it was safety glass, i thought it was standard here...obviously not by cowboy builders

How would you know if it's the expensive / good stuff or the cheap nasty version before it breaks?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:
2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Expand  

No, the article is correct. 

Huay Yai is only a kilometre or so from the coast, a coastal city of Chonburi. 

The above member that made the comment is just talking nonsense, he's probably never been to Pattaya or even Thailand. 

IMG_20240404_085404.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

Or a plastic door. 

I remember many years ago when I built a small hotel in Phuket - I installed sliding smoked glass doors in the showers and assumed that the glass was safety glass (forgive me - I was a newbie in Thailand).

Some time later a young boy staying with his parents ran straight through the glass door!  Shards of glass everywhere, but amazingly the boy only had a few small cuts.  It could have been so much worse.

In another incident (this time in Vietnam), a stone on the road flew up and hit the windscreen of our tour car that I was sitting in as a passenger.  The windscreen shattered into shards - it was standard glass, not safety glass....

Over the years there have been more than a few fatalities where foreigners have slipped in their bathroom and died, typically after hitting their head on something sharp.  Some of these deaths were where the person was elderly and unsteady on their feet.  Others were younger but drunk.

Many bathrooms in Thailand do not have non-slip floor tiles, some are like an ice-rink when wet.  It is always advisable to move slowly and hold onto firm surfaces when taking a shower.

• Like 2

This was a very unfortunate accident but the reality is that a lot of Thai homes and a lot of Thai bathrooms have this ridiculously slippery tile that has no place in a home or a bathroom. It is very easy to slip on it, if it's the slightest bit wet, and all it takes is hitting your head in the right spot as you fall and you're done, you are dead as a doornail.

I remember years ago a friend of mine was at work, a friend of his went to the bathroom walked up to the urinal, finished his business turned around slipped on the tile and died on the spot. The guy was 26 years old, he fell and hit his head on just the right spot and it was all over. It does not take much. 

• Agree 2

When we lived in Phuket a neighbour slipped and fell in his bathroom, hit his head on the handbasin, knocked out.

He was found semi-conscious by the housekeeper who had come to collect his laundry.

He recovered ok, but I expect she may still be suffering nightmares from seeing a naked 72 year old Welshman.

We built in 2018 and have non-slip tiles in bathroom/ shower areas but when wet, not entirely non-slip though to date I'm the only one to have taken a small fall there. And no glass doors in there.

Edited by gomangosteen