End of work permit options

I have had a work permit with the same company for 24 years and am very likely to want to call it a day next month. The trouble is, my visa expires on a very inconvenient date. If I tell my employer that I don't want to continue, what are my options or requirements for having to leave the country in order to get a fresh visa?

A second question is a friend used to have what appears to be the perfect visa for me. Which is marriage visa without having to show 400k, but having to leave the country every 3 months. I love the idea of that. Could I get one in Vietnam or another ASEAN nation's embassy or consulate?

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, 2long said:

A second question is a friend used to have what appears to be the perfect visa for me. Which is marriage visa without having to show 400k, but having to leave the country every 3 months. I love the idea of that. Could I get one in Vietnam or another ASEAN nation's embassy or consulate?

What you are referring to is a multi entry non O based on marriage. 

That visa is valid for 12 months and allows for stay of 3 months per entry.

That stay can be extended by 60 days to visit wife.

Many folk obtain that visa in Savannahket.

Recently the financial requirements have changed. 

• Like 1

Re the second question, a non-O multiple entry visa (marriage) is reported now as requiring the same finances, i.e. 400k, as an annual extension, so likely not of much benefit to you.

Edited by Upnotover
link
  • Like 1

OP, as pointed out by @Upnotover not sure if I see a better option than obtaining single entry non O marriage and subsequent annual extensions. 

You can still have your trips out of Thailand  by obtaining a multi reentry permit 3800b 

Here is thread with links that outlines process from visa exempt entry to non O marriage and subsequent 12 month extensions 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1315828-visa-exempt-to-90-day-non-o-spouse-visa-conversion-in-thailand/

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 2long said:

But how about when would I have to leave' if I just want my current Non B WP to expire?

You have to leave when your employment ends. 

22 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Indeed and Immigration is very strict with it. 
"Please leave my county" - told very kind officer back then in Imperial Lard Prao.

31 minutes ago, 2long said:

Thanks guys, and I get that.

But is there like 24 hours or 7 days or what, .... to leave?

The termination of your employment can be dated in the future. Immigration can then stamp a future cancelation date for your extension into your passport.

If you don't do that, however, you would have to leave on the day you go to immigration. You can apply and pay 1,900 baht for an extra 7 days to leave the country. 

9 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The termination of your employment can be dated in the future. Immigration can then stamp a future cancelation date for your extension into your passport.

If you don't do that, however, you would have to leave on the day you go to immigration. You can apply and pay 1,900 baht for an extra 7 days to leave the country. 

24 years of loyal employment then you're out on your ass after 1 day

They really do love us don't they.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I agree that it's unnecessarily harsh. It would be nice if anyone no longer qualifying for a long-term extension would have the option to get at least a 30-day extension to get their affairs in order before departing. What would be the harm, a tourist can "buy" the same?

But it is what it is, so the OP's best option is to post-date the termination paperwork (if that can be worked out with the employer).

• Thanks 1

OP, the process is mentioned by @Caldera earlier....the termination letter is dated in future.

Also explained in this cut/paste from ubonjoe in older thread...

"Immigration will post date the cancelation to the day on a termination letter from your employer to give you time to leave the country. If not you would be on a overstay when you leave the country."

16 hours ago, 2long said:

I have had a work permit with the same company for 24 years and am very likely to want to call it a day next month. The trouble is, my visa expires on a very inconvenient date. If I tell my employer that I don't want to continue, what are my options or requirements for having to leave the country in order to get a fresh visa?

Thanks in advance.

I went through this process a couple of years ago after retiring from a BOI company while on a 4 year extension of a non-B.   Process was done at One Stop in Bangkok using company agent (the same agent that processed prior extensions and 90 day reporting).   My prior employer has over 300 BOI workers, here so a very common process.  I am over 50 so switched the reason for my extension from working to retirement and didn't have to leave Thailand.  If your employer isn't BOI, sub out OSS below for what ever Immigration office you use.

Timeline was sort of like this:

30 April - Gave employer notice I would retire on 30 June

May - worked with HR and agent to plan the process

15 June - HR drafted and signed a postdated work permit and extension cancellation letter with date of 30 Jun

20 June - company agent took passport to Chamchuri (OSS) office with copies of my e-work permit, the letter and whatever else they needed 

20 June - OSS post dated and cancelled work permit and current extension stamp in passport with a date of 30 June - also gave me the 7 days stamp to leave the kingdom by 6 July (retirement date counted as day 1)

29 June - still working / last day and went to CW Immigration and changed the reason of my extension from working to retirement (had to meet the 800K in the bank for two months and the other paperwork / copies requirements.  Received a one year stamp for retirement extension.  

Hope this helps

Edited by Expat4life66

As you have a work permit, I guess you have a NON-IM B visa. I think you can extend your stay based on this visa 'In case of being a family member of a Thai national'. The requirement says only NON-IM Visa. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/9/2024 at 5:20 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Keep paying your social security if you want to keep the health insurance part of it.

Or claim it back, 24.years will be worth 200k baht approx...but yes if no insurance just continue, and.you have to let them know within 12.months of leaving

On 4/9/2024 at 6:21 PM, Caldera said:
On 4/9/2024 at 5:41 PM, 2long said:

But how about when would I have to leave' if I just want my current Non B WP to expire?

Nope, when my contract terminated, with the schools help I got my WP cancelled, and then applied same day for a "Retirement" extension. Did not need to leave the country, and have now had 5 subsequent retirement extensions without leaving.

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Nope, when my contract terminated, with the schools help I got my WP cancelled, and then applied same day for a "Retirement" extension. Did not need to leave the country, and have now had 5 subsequent retirement extensions without leaving.

That wasn't the question here.

If you have another valid reason to apply for a one year extension (e.g. retirement or marriage), then yes,you can apply for it. But if you don't, you need to leave when your employment ends.

2 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That wasn't the question here.

If you have another valid reason to apply for a one year extension (e.g. retirement or marriage), then yes,you can apply for it. But if you don't, you need to leave when your employment ends.

On 4/9/2024 at 4:45 PM, 2long said:

what are my options or requirements for having to leave the country in order to get a fresh visa?

Poster asked what is options were, so I gave him an answer that avoided the need to leave the country to get a fresh visa.

Thanks guys,

I'm eligible for spouse, retirement and dependent visas, although don't have 400k that has been there for long enough.

Did I read somewhere higher in the thread that suggested the first non-O multiple entry visa (marriage) might be possible with 400k just on the day of application? That's easy enough for me, but there's not enough time for the 2 or 3 month 400k requirement.

Thanks in advance.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, ukrules said:

24 years and the OP could have been either a PR or a citizen by now, and this wouldn't have been an issue. Sounds like he was totally eligible the entire time. 

Whatever the case, as others said, get your social security health insurance locked in. You only have 6 months post finishing work to sign up for it (a one off thing too), but at 432 baht per month for near universal coverage, it is remarkably good value. 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-social-security/

Edited by kiwiaussie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Thanks guys,

I'm eligible for spouse, retirement and dependent visas, although don't have 400k that has been there for long enough.

Did I read somewhere higher in the thread that suggested the first non-O multiple entry visa (marriage) might be possible with 400k just on the day of application? That's easy enough for me, but there's not enough time for the 2 or 3 month 400k requirement.

Thanks in advance.

If you apply for a new Non-O visa abroad, the money won't need to be seasoned.

However, you already have a non-immigrant visa entry. So if you want to avoid having to leave the country, you need to apply for a 1 year extension based on one of the reasons you've listed. And for that, the money does need to be seasoned.

• Thanks 1

I'm happy to leave the country, and it might even be convenient.

I guess our marriage certificate (kids' birth certificates & Thai passports) would be required docs, plus anything else?

Ok, my visa and work permit expire on May 15th but I would like to leave Thailand a week before that and re-enter on a 30-day stamp.

I have a multiple re-entry, so the automatic process would be for them to stamp me in again on the same visa, for a week.

Does anyone have experience of asking the IO not to do that👆, and to just start with a 30-day stamp? Or maybe telling the IO when I leave.

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure how much I can trust my employer to cancel the Non-B visa.