What happens if a foreigner doesn't pay a traffic infringement fine? Saw a video on Youtube

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

image.png.ca9c14728785ed351206a3c5cb935537.png

Wonder why Pattaya cops are fining people 500 baht for no licence and 500 baht for no helmet when the fines should be 200 baht and 400 baht only. What a scam.

It's also funny that fines are double for a passenger not wearing a helmet. 800 baht for the passanger and only 400ebaht for the driver.

Edited by bbi1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bbi1 said:

Wonder why Pattaya cops are fining people 500 baht for no licence and 500 baht for no helmet when the fines should be 200 baht and 400 baht only. 

Ask them.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When the police stop you, there are two options (at least for me on motorcycle for the last two decades):

a) They want cash there and then. I paid often 100B.

b) They give you a ticket and you have to pay that ticket at the police station. Earliest on the next day, and I think officially within the next 10 days or so.

If you have a driver license then they confiscate your driver license and keep it. When you pay the fine at the station then they give you back the license. 

They are no longer allowed to take your licence away I believe, I think the law changed about two years ago. However, apart from that, what is this moron doing riding without a shirt. Apart from the insult to the culture, it is bloody stupid, has he never heard of gravel rash.

Edited by AhFarangJa

7 hours ago, bbi1 said:

How much do they fine you for running a yellow light or running a red light?

500 i think.. maybe 1000.. i don't really remember. It was several years ago before covid

On 4/13/2024 at 11:45 AM, PJ71 said:

Coz you can get away with it here.

Well, since me driving here as of 1985 I can tell you, that the last pit stop is the department of motor vehicles/land transport. You cannot extend the tax with open fines; getting caught without a valid tax square will cost you ....... a fine again. 

So - quite simple - avoid fines, and if you did wrong, pay up. Compared to Europe the fines are ridiculously low as they are based on the Thai CPI - and in many cases - are settled non-receipt able 😉

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

You cannot extend the tax with open fine

Unless it's changed since December then this is totally incorrect.

Have you seen how many people drive throughout Thailand? Have you not noticed than since 1985?

On 4/12/2024 at 3:00 PM, bob smith said:

when they wave you in just speed up.

that usually does the trick!

BOB.

Just like the New Zealand guys who will end up getting deported and blacklisted. All for a few hundred baht.

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Have you seen how many people drive throughout Thailand? Have you not noticed than since 1985?

The system's working since January, to renew road tax means all outstanding tickets is brought up to be paid 

10 minutes ago, digbeth said:

The system's working since January, to renew road tax means all outstanding tickets is brought up to be paid 

interesting...

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

No, I have been completely blindfolded since 1985 by all those people driving throughout Thailand and expert advice of how to refuse a most likely justified fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

No, I have been completely blindfolded since 1985 by all those people driving throughout Thailand and expert advice of how to refuse a most likely justified fine. 

Ok, thanks for clarifying that.

What an earth were you doing with a blindfold on, something with the boyfriend again?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/13/2024 at 8:08 AM, bbi1 said:

Wonder why Pattaya cops are fining people 500 baht for no licence and 500 baht for no helmet when the fines should be 200 baht and 400 baht only. What a scam.

It's also funny that fines are double for a passenger not wearing a helmet. 800 baht for the passanger and only 400ebaht for the driver.

The last time I got done they wanted 800B for no IDP (had my international license) and 800B each for no helmet, although it was just post lockdown so the tea money was most probably running low?

Upon the advice of the win rider I didn't go inside the station, waited around the corner and let the Mrs sort it.  She managed to barter it down to 2000B all in on the basis that she only had 2400B and had to pay the win.  When they asked where I was she told them that I was back on 3rd road with the bike.  Still a bloody rip off but I was flying out the next day so had no time to argue and had only ridden 300m to a clinic to get a Covid test so I could transit through Doha.

On 4/13/2024 at 8:03 AM, Ralf001 said:

Drink driving is not a fine.... it is go to slammer and front a judge.

Unless you buy your way out at the roadside?  The slammer and magistrate is a lot cheaper though!