Taurine for life extension -- if you're old already why wait for the research on humans?

23 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

To answer your question, JT:

a. Yes, it would be crazy.

b. There is much to lose.

Why?

If I prolong my life artificially through ingesting taurine or any other supplement, then I would:

a. Lose much money on additional dental care during supplemental years added to my natural lifespan.

b. I would lose a lot in peace of mind. As we become older, we tend to worry more.  I would lose out on peace of mind during any supplemental years.

c.  Therefore, I would never take any kind of supplement to add supplemental time, on top of the time served already, and the time I have yet to serve here in this world, one which is not of my choosing.

I would never consider prolonging my life so that I could add more time and more years of ever-increasing frailty.

What if I suffered sudden onset of macular degeneration?

Would that be fun at an advanced age?

Not for me, anyway.

So, I do not want to play God with my own predestined longevity.

No way, Jose!

Time served.

Good one. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

The reason why it is in the original recipe for M-150 (and therefore red Bull) is, that it counters the vasoconstrictive effects of coffeine. Hence also as a use as a sports supplement.

And the story is also that France once banned energy drinks including Red Bull for 10+ years because they thought Taurine is harmful. 😅 

Imagine what food has big amounts of Taurine. Meat. Eat more meat!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

And the story is also that France once banned energy drinks including Red Bull for 10+ years because they thought Taurine is harmful. 😅 

Imagine what food has big amounts of Taurine. Meat. Eat more meat!

Not just France. I remember in the old techno days, that we bought horrendously expensive cans of Red Bull illegally smuggled in from Switzerland from the trunk of cars in the club parking lots. Those were the happy days 😜

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you're older, money has much much less value than TIME.

I have no idea of doses but I checked on Lazada and the supplements aren't expensive, so that objection is a non issue.

Again, I'm not recommending that anyone do this.

But I am asking -- if you're old already, why not?

I'm not sure there's any one supplement out there that is a magic pill. 

One guy is getting famous for life extension, Bryan Johnson, and he take a boatload of pills every day. He's a multi-millionaire.

And he is possibly a huckster. 

Solving life extension may be too complex for the average human being.

There are people who are claiming AI will eventually solve the problem of aging. Assuming AI gets smarter than humans. 

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

you may end up wasting a lot of money, at the very least, if it's not as effective as claimed

Yeah, maybe a waste of money but there is no other way to find out if it will work for you.  It's like buying a theatre ticket.  :wink:  And then there is the price, 30 US pennys per day for a month or two isn't much of a complaint. 

IMO the crucial hazard is that you take something that may be detrimental to your well-being.  I knew a fellow who took a some zinc and had quite a negative reaction; I don't recall his story, but he did live to tell it, and he would be the first to admit he didn't know what he was doing.

After some years in SEA and only being able to find somewhat comparable vitamins to what I would buy in the US, I returned to the US and started taking the ones I used to take (a daily multiple, and a B-complex).  In about a month and a half my eyesight improved.  I cite it as the cause and effect of the vitamins, that's my best guess.  And it was not detrimental.  For those wondering what I bought in Asia if you go to Malaysia and look hard enough you may be able to find Soligar or Solaray (I forgot which). 

I have also started other supplements, some as doctors' recommendations: B12, D3, and now considering magnesium.

When your number is up you are not going to be thinking beforehand " Boy, I'm glad I took such in such or I would be dead already" or " If I had only taken such and such I could waste another week of oxygen."

During my Uni years, I lived near an Indian Reservation (US). One day, one of the Indian locals came down the street with a cast on his leg. I asked him what had happened. He pointed to the fourth-floor window across the street and said he fell out of the window backward. He said Thank God he was drunk at the time or he surely would have died.

• Haha 1

Taurine only as a side of Magnesium Taurate & yes it is useful

but....Try NMN if your over 55-60 the results are quite good.

1 Gram powder under tongue (sublingual) per day

Edited by mania
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

The reason why it is in the original recipe for M-150 (and therefore red Bull) is, that it counters the vasoconstrictive effects of coffeine. Hence also as a use as a sports supplement.

I am a very heavy coffee drinker -- a currently extremely stressful job -- and as Taurine is cheap, I never drink my coffee without it. It seems to at least have the described effect there.

If it extends life, I do not know; but I do so many other things that supposedly are bad for my health, so I would not be too philosophical about it and simply try it. It cannot be worse than the ultimate result of old age.

Caffeine and other methyl xanthines are vasoconstrictors from the neck down, but vaso dilators from the neck up. That is why coffee helps people focus.

Edited by Walker88
  • Like 1

What fool would want to live forever?

We all have a 'sell by date'. Accept it.

I have had a great life and will live it to the full until it stops. Or until it is no longer great.

Hope everyone out there had the Songkran that they wanted.

7 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Diet seems to have a lesser impact, unless one is currently consuming too many calories and in particular, too much sugar.

Could you eleborate a bit about this statement. I have no comments to the rest thats why Im only focusing on this one, since I believe and science back me on diets is essential for many things in life, especially sleep, daily routines, essential nutrients and more.

Clean fresh ecological food vs processed food for an example

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

What fool would want to live forever?

We all have a 'sell by date'. Accept it.

I have had a great life and will live it to the full until it stops. Or until it is no longer great.

Hope everyone out there had the Songkran that they wanted.

God sake forbid live to long, but live healthy and function as long as possible is the essential for most people I know who choose to take care of their health before it is to late

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Could you eleborate a bit about this statement. I have no comments to the rest thats why Im only focusing on this one, since I believe and science back me on diets is essential for many things in life, especially sleep, daily routines, essential nutrients and more.

Clean fresh ecological food vs processed food for an example

So many bits of accepted wisdom were never put to the test. Today's current billionaire class seems to want to maximize the time they get to enjoy their billions, so they are funding all sorts of research.

Researchers try to isolate for different factors, kind of like doing a laboratory regression analysis. Surprising to many has been the decreased importance of diet, within reason. Yes, limit sugar, limit processed foods and foods with pesticides or polluted with industrial metals (like almost all seafood), but heavy exercise seems to come out as #1.

Look at photos of Bezos, Zuckerberg, even Musk from few years ago, and today. Bezos in particular has gotten sculpted and buff. Zuckerberg less so, but he's more cut than before. Same with Musk. They paid for the research, and they're paying attention.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Taking Taurine since years - 5-10gr daily with months off. It's best after heavy lifting sessions to cool down the CNS/heart, can't live without it.

It's in my top 5 of supplements.

I am also taking Berberine (similair to Metformin) and low dosage Telimsartan (for lower bp, not a supplement) and Lemon Bergamot (best lipids supp) and TUDCA (best for liver protection). And yeah, I don't drink alcohol and don't smoke and every time I crave sugar I eat beef instead. 😅

And I am taking 2-3 iu daily HGH half of the year even though the studies are not really saying it's life prolonging (unclear) but to feel like the final boss all the time is just awesome.

I think the idea of 'life prolonging' isn't really worth looking at (I am under 40, forgive my ignorance if you are older and feel different) but most importantly to enjoy life at the end, including to have and be able to live an active life. I don't see many old guys in my gym even though it is worth it (look at VO2 max longevity).

are you on trt to ? 

5 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

I am a very heavy coffee drinker -- a currently extremely stressful job -- and as Taurine is cheap, I never drink my coffee without it. It seems to at least have the described effect there.

This is interesting,

I love a cup of coffee in the morning. but as I got older I found that my BP would shoot up . even if I had a cup. Ny hands and feet would get sweaty. 

I have to look more into this Taurine. Any additional info would be appreciated

• Like 1