British tourist found dead in drain following pub crawl on notorious 'Death Island'

webfact

2 hours ago, frank83628 said:

who's trolling, just calling for some facts, personal experiences....you know back up what you say.

you are sealioning and you know it - therefore you are trolling - you have not made a single contribution to the discussion, purely cryptic comments and sealioning.

Edited by kwilco

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

you are sealioning and you know it - therefore you are trolling - you have not made a single contribution to the discussion, purely cryptic comments and sealioning.

so, thats a NO then, you don't have any personal experience.

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

THat is not evidence it is pure supposition.

BTW - what was the cause of death?

Where did I say it was evidence? I provided a scenario to people who instantly think this is a murder, it is not suspicious to leave your friends when drunk/high or lose your phone (which no evidence has been provided for that claim from the previous person). 

18 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Where did I say it was evidence? I provided a scenario to people who instantly think this is a murder, it is not suspicious to leave your friends when drunk/high or lose your phone (which no evidence has been provided for that claim from the previous person). 

So it is supposition and a facile assessment based on nothing.

14 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So it is supposition and a facile assessment based on nothing.

Yes it is a supposition and no it's based on something as we know the person was drinking.... Anyway you seem to just want to argue with anyone so have a good day.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, ryandb said:

Yes it is a supposition and no it's based on something as we know the person was drinking.... Anyway you seem to just want to argue with anyone so have a good day.

You started the argument - I just made some observations - you seem to have a very low level of deduction. What are you implying?

Lots of people drink og KT, but they don't suddenly disappear and turn up dead.

However people are more likely to get into trouble with other people after drinking and KT is famous for suspicious deaths and poor police inbvestigations.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You started the argument - I just made some observations - you seem to have a very low level of deduction. What are you implying?

However people are more likely to get into trouble with other people after drinking and KT is famous for suspicious deaths and poor police inbvestigations.

the deaths are not suspicious if you live in reality world. 

and yes, 1000's of people drink nightly, to excess, unfortunately  1 or 2 will have a accident or worse

Edited by frank83628
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

the deaths are not suspicious if you live in reality world. 

and yes, 1000's of people drink nightly, to excess, unfortunately  1 or 2 will have a accident or worse

It's also very common for "1000's" of dim people not to realise how dim their comments are

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

It's also very common for "1000's" of dim people not to realise how dim their comments are

yes, nice one......you literally have nothing to say with regards to this guys death, or anything to do with the islands in any personal capacity do you. 

35 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

yes, nice one......you literally have nothing to say with regards to this guys death, or anything to do with the islands in any personal capacity do you. 

I've written above on this topic...only you don't get it.... why do you think that is?

On 4/15/2024 at 5:53 AM, Olmate said:

Just noticed reported happened March 18th, probably go fund me appeal on now! 

...and so what if there is? GoFundMe is there to raise funds for all sorts of things. Tomorrow there will be news on the news, (no) prostitution in Pattaya, warriors with keyboards and fundraising on GoFundMe.

• Confused 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:23 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I agree - Samui is definitely the least 'violent' and least 'mafia controlled' of all the islands. But like all of them it is a scam - just getting there is a scam.  

My wife is from Esan and was shocked at the prices on Samui - then she went to Koh Phangan! (And not at "Party Time") She couldn't believe the prices charged for even basic Thai  meals and water! I hesitate to think what the "farang" prices are!

Edited by sambum
Additional text
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

They're exactly the same.

Really? You do surprise me! Even on Samui, some of the "Tourist Attractions"  have double or triple pricing for foreigners!

On 4/14/2024 at 12:22 PM, save the frogs said:

these deaths all seem connected to diving 

That is what people go to Koh Tao for.  The attraction was (and maybe still is?) a place to get PADI certification quickly, like within a few days. 

Even before the murder that brought the place into infamy the natives were not friendly.  I went there some years back with the intention on moving on to see the other islands nearby; after experiencing the local hospitality I changed plans and went back to the mainland. 

As a reminder, here's the list of incidents on Koh Tao in the last 20 years or so.....

List of some of the deaths rapes etc. on Koh Tao. It isn’t necessarily complete but it gives some idea of the situation there.

2002 – Viret Asaiachin shot dead in broad daylight – an organised crime like assassination.

Japanese tourist died after drinking game

2004- The case is of a woman named Yoshie “Sharlyn” Sazawa that lived on the island for 12 years and worked as a scuba instructor before her untimely death. Put down to suicide.

2006 – SAMUI -  as missing 21-year-old backpacker Katherine Horton, from a small town near Cardiff. Beaten into submission with a parasol on Samui's Lamai beach the previous evening, Horton had been raped twice before being left to drown in the sea near to the resort where she had been staying - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/apr/08/travelnews.weekendmagazine

American engineer Kris Perkins, who's been running a bar in the main beach resort of Chaweng since 2003. He was critically injured when he was shot twice by a Thai gangster after remonstrating with rowdy party-goers at a guesthouse above his bar.

It is clear that at least earlier in this century, Samui itself suffered from the same “gangster-style” shootings rapes and murders. Surely as the island became more and more populated those sorts of “chao por” moved back to other islands

2012 - Ben Harrington,32, died when he crashed during a moped ride – allegedly robbed

2013 - Tony Cordullo - owner of the Lotus bar

2014 - Nick Pearson, 25, from the UK. On New Year’s Day in 2014, he was found floating in a bay beneath a 15m cliff. He had no broken bones. Police ruled out foul play but his family believe he was murdered.

2014 - Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, from the UK. In September 2014, the couple were found bludgeoned to death close to where they were staying. Ms Witheridge had been raped. Two Burmese bar workers were found guilty of their murders the following year and sentenced to death.

2016 - Luke Miller, from the Isle of Wight, was reportedly found floating in a pool on the island.

2015 - Dimitri Povse, 29, from France. On New Year’s Day in 2015, he was found hanging in a bungalow. Police ruled his death a suicide but couldn’t explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

2015 - Christina Annesley, 23, from the UK and born in New Zealand. In January 2015, she was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics with alcohol. No toxicology report was conducted. Her family are suspicious.

2015 - Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, from Russia. In March 2015, she vanished from her hostel, with her mobile phone, passport and camera left behind. She is still missing.

2016 - Luke Miller, 24, from the UK. In January 2016, he was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach. His family has accused police of a cover-up. 2016 - Luke Miller, from the Isle of Wight, was reportedly found floating in a pool on the island.

2017 - Elise Dallemagne, 30, of Belgium. In April 2017, she was found hanged in the jungle. Questions surround her death. - Police said Belgian tourist Elise Dallemagne committed suicide on Koh Tao but her family believe otherwise

2018 - June 2018 - German Bernd Grotsch's body was found at his home deep in the jungle in the Mae Haad part of Koh Tao. He had recently returned to the island after building up a motorbike rental business.

2018 – August – alleged  drug rape of a British teenager. Cops refused to investigate, then threatened to prosecute her for leaving the island

2018 - October 9, 2018 - Alexandr Bucspun, 33, from Moldova, was found dead in the sea off Had Sai Ree on Koh Tao on Tuesday,.

2018 - 17/12/2018 - Rocio Leticia Gomez 39 from Argentina was lost at sea, rescued but died 4 days later. Another tragedy kept quiet!!

2019 - June– Samyak Choudhray – drowned whilst snorkelling

2020 a tourist was attacked with a knife by a well-known character of the island

2021 - A millionaire hotel tycoon and his wife have been found dead in a luxury resort on Koh Tao, colloquially known as Death Island.

2023 - Nicholas Giblin passed away in his sleep. This is probably true. He was apparently a perfectly healthy person with no known illnesses. But his death has highlighted the problem of Koh Tao, which now has a reputation and the local police do nothing to alleviate this.

3 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Are you talking about Operation Sealion? I am in!

No

Sealioning – comes from the noise a sealion makes – it is similar to a small kid who finds he can get an adult’s attention by repeating the word “why?”

A Sea-Lion never provides their own facts or logic, or discuss the actual words of the person they sealion. They claim to be in a  cordial discussion, and from there essentially play a game of chicken with their opponent. When the other person doesn’t answer their facile or irrelevant requests, the sealion then tries declaring them self a “winner” of the debate by default.

It’s a kind of online harassment disguised as a civil debate. The main characteristics are thus…..

Relentless requests for evidence: The person will pepper you with questions, often repetitive or irrelevant, demanding evidence for even basic points.

Feigning sincerity: They'll act interested in having a genuine discussion, but it's a facade. Their real goal is to wear you down.

They might use polite language but their requests are intended to be annoying and exhausting.

Imagine someone constantly asking for proof for well-known facts, pretending they don't understand. That's sealioning in a nutshell.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Woof999 said:

...and so what if there is? GoFundMe is there to raise funds for all sorts of things. Tomorrow there will be news on the news, (no) prostitution in Pattaya, warriors with keyboards and fundraising on GoFundMe.

Goldilocks has been given the ok to keep up her good work tho, so happy days Woof!! 

14 hours ago, kwilco said:

Bro you quoted me first so gtfo

Edited by ryandb

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

As a reminder, here's the list of incidents on Koh Tao in the last 20 years or so.....

List of some of the deaths rapes etc. on Koh Tao. It isn’t necessarily complete but it gives some idea of the situation there.

Quite an impressive list but a tad misleading.

You have thrown in at least one death on Samui.

At least one death is mentioned twice.

A few of them were natural causes or accidental deaths.

Unfortunately, youth, alcohol, drugs and water are a dangerous mix.

But we get your point.

7 hours ago, sambum said:

Really? You do surprise me! Even on Samui, some of the "Tourist Attractions"  have double or triple pricing for foreigners!

That I don't know about but I am sure you have examples? However you were specifically talking about food and drink, I should have quoted your full post:

"She couldn't believe the prices charged for even basic Thai  meals and water! I hesitate to think what the "farang" prices are!"

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

2002 – Viret Asaiachin shot dead in broad daylight – an organised crime like assassination.

Japanese tourist died after drinking game

2004- The case is of a woman named Yoshie “Sharlyn” Sazawa that lived on the island for 12 years and worked as a scuba instructor before her untimely death. Put down to suicide.

2006 – SAMUI -  as missing 21-year-old backpacker Katherine Horton, from a small town near Cardiff. Beaten into submission with a parasol on Samui's Lamai beach the previous evening, Horton had been raped twice before being left to drown in the sea near to the resort where she had been staying - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2006/apr/08/travelnews.weekendmagazine

American engineer Kris Perkins, who's been running a bar in the main beach resort of Chaweng since 2003. He was critically injured when he was shot twice by a Thai gangster after remonstrating with rowdy party-goers at a guesthouse above his bar.

It is clear that at least earlier in this century, Samui itself suffered from the same “gangster-style” shootings rapes and murders. Surely as the island became more and more populated those sorts of “chao por” moved back to other islands

2012 - Ben Harrington,32, died when he crashed during a moped ride – allegedly robbed

2013 - Tony Cordullo - owner of the Lotus bar

2014 - Nick Pearson, 25, from the UK. On New Year’s Day in 2014, he was found floating in a bay beneath a 15m cliff. He had no broken bones. Police ruled out foul play but his family believe he was murdered.

2014 - Hannah Witheridge, 23, and David Miller, 24, from the UK. In September 2014, the couple were found bludgeoned to death close to where they were staying. Ms Witheridge had been raped. Two Burmese bar workers were found guilty of their murders the following year and sentenced to death.

2016 - Luke Miller, from the Isle of Wight, was reportedly found floating in a pool on the island.

2015 - Dimitri Povse, 29, from France. On New Year’s Day in 2015, he was found hanging in a bungalow. Police ruled his death a suicide but couldn’t explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

2015 - Christina Annesley, 23, from the UK and born in New Zealand. In January 2015, she was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics with alcohol. No toxicology report was conducted. Her family are suspicious.

2015 - Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, from Russia. In March 2015, she vanished from her hostel, with her mobile phone, passport and camera left behind. She is still missing.

2016 - Luke Miller, 24, from the UK. In January 2016, he was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach. His family has accused police of a cover-up. 2016 - Luke Miller, from the Isle of Wight, was reportedly found floating in a pool on the island.

2017 - Elise Dallemagne, 30, of Belgium. In April 2017, she was found hanged in the jungle. Questions surround her death. - Police said Belgian tourist Elise Dallemagne committed suicide on Koh Tao but her family believe otherwise

2018 - June 2018 - German Bernd Grotsch's body was found at his home deep in the jungle in the Mae Haad part of Koh Tao. He had recently returned to the island after building up a motorbike rental business.

2018 – August – alleged  drug rape of a British teenager. Cops refused to investigate, then threatened to prosecute her for leaving the island

2018 - October 9, 2018 - Alexandr Bucspun, 33, from Moldova, was found dead in the sea off Had Sai Ree on Koh Tao on Tuesday,.

2018 - 17/12/2018 - Rocio Leticia Gomez 39 from Argentina was lost at sea, rescued but died 4 days later. Another tragedy kept quiet!!

2019 - June– Samyak Choudhray – drowned whilst snorkelling

2020 a tourist was attacked with a knife by a well-known character of the island

2021 - A millionaire hotel tycoon and his wife have been found dead in a luxury resort on Koh Tao, colloquially known as Death Island.

2023 - Nicholas Giblin passed away in his sleep. This is probably true. He was apparently a perfectly healthy person with no known illnesses. But his death has highlighted the problem of Koh Tao, which now has a reputation and the local police do nothing to alleviate this.

you have got a few things mixed up in that post, so apart from the Samui reference the only deaths that were not normal were Hannah & David. scuba accident and a drowning while snorkeling are hardly proof of a dodgy Island, the others in your post are not worth commenting on, they have been argued to death on here, no pun intended!

The 2 rich Indians, well, the were traveling with some serious medical equipment, so one of them (he) i believe had health issues.

there are 
i personally knew Buro, Tony and Neil, nothing suspicious about their death what so ever..... if you are her and know the facts, not 5000 miles away making up stories to slander the island due to a personal grudge..
i'm pretty sure you could make a list from any holiday destination in thailand and have a much longer list.

PS, i asked for personal experience not a copy n paste list.

i'm pretty sure you could make a list from any holiday destination in thailand and have a much longer list.

I don't know that it's the number of deaths.  It's more the incredulity when the cops announce the results of their investigations.  When there is an investigation. 

Admittedly, this coming from someone who just reads the reports and has no desire to go anywhere where buckets of booze are a thing.

The 2 rich Indians, well, the were traveling with some serious medical equipment, so one of them (he) i believe had health issues.

They were the only guests in the hotel and they had requested that it opened for them. It had been closed during Covid.

There was a problem with their previous hotel - I cannot remember what it was.

It is believed that the lady went to the pool, slipped and fell in. The husband then tried to save her.

Neither could swim (according to their son).

Edited by Tropicalevo

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

They were the only guests in the hotel and they had requested that it opened for them. It had been closed during Covid.

It is believed that the lady went to the pool, slipped and fell in. The husband then tried to save her.

yes i heard 1 got into difficulty and the other drowned trying to save them, which way round i don't know. 

not sure about the hotel being closed, but were many covid restrictions then and very few tourists so possibly running on skeleton staff etc. i saw photos from the Rescue team, the was a huge machine pool side, heart monitor, assisted breathing apparatus, who knows, but it wasn't from the rescue team. one of them had serious health issues.

22 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't know that it's the number of deaths.  It's more the incredulity when the cops announce the results of their investigations.  When there is an investigation. 

Admittedly, this coming from someone who just reads the reports and has no desire to go anywhere where buckets of booze are a thing.

there was a big influx of police since 2014, they do what they can. unless signs of foul play is obvious what are they supposed to do, they send the bodies for an autopsy and wait for the results, they don't have to make information public on every single incident that happens, although a couple of people seem to think they should, those people then try to sensationalise things, claiming the police are covering things up,  which unfortunately due to social media and connections and they have been able to do many times in the past, and people are gullible enough to believe it!

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Or there was a problem with the wiring and they were electrocuted in the pool. So many possibilities. The article I read stated they had been working on the pool. I also know of another case in Thailand where this actually happend.  

The problem with Koh Tao & Thailand in general is you are never going to get a real investigation if they feel it might damage tourism. Case in point, and not on Isla de la Muerte. Across the peninsula in the Andaman ocean, the Phi Phi islands had a series of deaths, now known to be caused by aluminum phosphide poisoning. This chemical was being used to kill bed bugs. The  police, forensic team, and of course, all the locals knew immediately what had caused it, but a cone of silence descended. Hats off to the Canadian forensic team who were able to prove it. That said, the Quebec sister, the American & Norwegian women’s bodies all had unfortunate accidents while in the morgue. The power went out and was not restored for a week to ten days. You can almost imagine the state of the decomposition after that. It also is a big tell, all was known before hand and all were trying to impede any outside investigation by any and every means possible. 

Thailand and posters here can spin so many possibilities, great, but with the history of Koh Tao, it needs to be crystal clear & proven conclusively it was an accident, or there will be suspicions and for excellent reasons. Right now the burden of proof is on Koh Tao and I do not see them doing anything substantive to reassure the public, if anything, just the opposite. 

• Like 1