Poll: As a Pattaya expat, do you hate the week-long water-splashing Songkran?

JoseThailand

Poll: As a Pattaya expat, do you hate the week-long water-splashing Songkran?  

209 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Goat said:

Well imagine if a whole bunch of old thai men showed up to England and wanted your New years fireworks banned. Or Xmas

You would tell them the same.

What if they showed up in your Australia...........?    🤭

Strange you never mention your birthplace, why is that.......?   🤭

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

Well if you live in the countryside,  get a car or pick up,  like all the other people do where you live. 

plastic bags do work,  your local clinic could change any dressing.

your just belly aching.

have a victor.

victor.JPG

My local clinic is the local hospital.

The original injury and subsequent surgery meant that my car license was suspended on medical grounds ( I don't know why they chose to leave me with a motorbike license but they did) so car/pick up is not an option.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill - you're just trying to pick a fight.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

There was no water splashing in 2020, 2021 and 2022. What a happy time!

Those 3 years where the height of Covidicy whilst there was (thankfully) no water throwing  they where hardly happy times IMHO

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Goat said:

Well imagine if a whole bunch of old thai men showed up to England and wanted your New years fireworks banned. Or Xmas

You would tell them the same.

A lot of Thais go home to get away from Songkran in Pattaya

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

A lot of people think, "I like this, I see some other people like this, therefore everyone likes it and anyone who doesn't is bad".

If everyone was on the street at the same time, it would be insane.

2 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Let the Thais have fun and enjoy their songkran.

It was around long before any foreigners arrived and many come especially for the event.

Let the foreigners complain about the thing they want to complain about.

They were complaining long before any foreigners arrived and many come especially for the society that it creates.

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

My local clinic is the local hospital.

The original injury and subsequent surgery meant that my car license was suspended on medical grounds ( I don't know why they chose to leave me with a motorbike license but they did) so car/pick up is not an option.

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill - you're just trying to pick a fight.

Well, just look at his avatar.............😂

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's amazing the lengths some people go to complain about complaining, yet they don't realise how negative they are.  🤔

Grumpy old men, complaining grumpily about people they think are grumpy old men!  :cheesy:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPAfRhNxWssFhjlun8QcX8QS6Iog6esajNobb-LaE3KcmIKu1KKcQGHDTrgcWaQf_EGPM&usqp=CAU

Yes, ok Pops. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, quake said:

Following me around again Transman. nice. :coffee1:

You will be surprised at the number of people that say that, and I really don't know why, Nige...:huh:

In the past I would book a flight to either PP or Siem Reap for a week to avoid Songkran. These days I just stay close to home and only venture outside for necessities in the AM.

52 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Let the Thais have fun and enjoy their songkran.

It was around long before any foreigners arrived and many come especially for the event.

Is there a choice?

Water throwing going on over a full week is some kind of ancient tradition?"
NO!!!!!

1 hour ago, johng said:

Those 3 years where the height of Covidicy whilst there was (thankfully) no water throwing  they where hardly happy times IMHO

It was a really happy time for those of us who were lucky enough to be in Thailand! 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Songkran doesn't disturb otherwise, but there should be clear times when water is not thrown on and that you dare to even go to the grocery store and go jogging, but no, many people have to stay in their room like a prisoner for 7-10 days. When people go to the store on the way, they get drenched and then spend time shopping in the store and catch a cold and get flu, covid or bronchitis etc. does that make any sense? In Pattaya and it's insane. Also when you ask not to throw water when you come from the store with shopping bags in your hands, they get annoying and slowly pour a bucket of ice cold water on the heads of the elderly while the guys join in the bullying by splashing even more water with their guns. It's like human rights are taken away during Songkran.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Many Thais go home, not just from Pattaya. Making merit is a significant part of the festival, when the nieces were younger the family used to go to the market to buy crabs and put them back in the sea. Both are working these days, usually over Songkran, so parents just go to the temple.

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2014/04/there-is-more-to-songkran-than-the-waterfights/

As an expat, I consider myself as a guest in LOS and one reason I love it here is because of the Thai culture!  I respectfully submit that those expats who don't like the water splashing tradition during Songkran try to learn its meaning and if you still don't like it, just stay home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

but the loud bass-heavy music every evening jars me off. 

Agreed the extremely loud and bassy musak  is impossible to escape 🤮

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I've been attending my local hospital for quite some time to have dressings changed on a slow healing surgical wound on my foot. I have got to know and chat with, most of the nurses and EMTs who work in the ER/treatment centre.

They hate it, clearing up injuries from stupid behaviour.

Takes forever to ride the 9km to the hospital - have to keep stopping, showing my bandaged leg, and asking "no water please".

Yesterday a group of adults listened to my request, waved me past, and then one gave me a bucket full in the face. He must have been over forty! I was going slowly so managed to stay on the motorbike. I explained, forcefully that"Solly" didn't cut it. I rapidly ran out of Thai, but it is amazing how much Anglo Saxon they understood!

I don't hate Songkran. Water fights in "designated areas" are fine. Children with water pistols are fine. Buckets hurled at motorcyclists on main roads, from adults, are stupid. Doing so when they know you are on your way to hospital for treatment, with an obvious bandaged leg, is just <deleted> stupid.

I punched one ex pat few years ago, after I asked  him not to throw, he did...and I did!!